View Full Version : Any truck drivers here? (CDL)

sly400ex
05-17-2007, 07:16 PM
I am looking for guidance in the trucking world, does anyone here have experience here?

AtvMxRider
05-17-2007, 07:22 PM
I would find another field if I were you.

ninis470
05-17-2007, 07:45 PM
i have a cdl, what are you wanting to know???

Quad18star
05-17-2007, 08:48 PM
A good friend of mine owns a truck .... it's a rough business. With gas prices as high as they are , an independant trucker can barely make a living. There's a lot of guys in the area that have hung up their keys and found other careers so that the banks don't repo their homes , cars , etc.

byrdman37876
05-17-2007, 10:06 PM
depends on u who u work for, i have a buddy that drives for ups and he makes over 25 bucks an hour. my freind tim works for old dominion and is making 21 and he just started a few months ago.

yeah fuel is high for an owner operater but it is also a tax write off at the end of the year as well as oil, filters, wiper blades etc.

my other freind perry owns a pete and makes a good 120,000 thousand a year.

depends on what u really want. local or over the road.but one thing is for sure u can always fall back on a cdl incase life throws a curve ball at ya.

hope this helps. ( by the way i have 1 and drive a yard truck ).

bulkdriverlp
05-19-2007, 10:00 PM
wish i would have saw this topic earlier, my bad

i have cdl A with C X T endorsment. drove freightliner classic with 53' van for 2 years. then drove propane bobtail for 4 and now drove garbage truck for 2. i used to drive 16 hrs a day on average. sometimes drive then take shower, eat and back on the road. i drove dedicated k-mart wich was all driver unload. picked up at the same place every nite and delivered to stores all over mi. if your single and have no ties then go for it. have fun see the countryside. if you have a family id probobly do something else. its hard being away from home for a week. if your over-the-road sometimes its 2 weeks to a month. hope this helps.