PDA

View Full Version : Internet Problems

JRP
05-17-2007, 01:27 PM
Alright well we have comcast high speed internet and i always seem to get kicked off. Their technician just left here and said the internet is perfect but our ether card might be going bad? Like i never get "kicked off" like no internet at all, but the 2 computers at the bottom right of your screen will not light up and they will stay dark, but it never says "youve been kicked off" or anything. Do we need a new ether card? He also said maybe we need some more storage? We dont have 1 gig on this comp. Any suggestions? Getting kicked off jus sucks. And it only happens when im doing stuff on like internet explorer, not when im just on AIM. Anyone? Thanks

d3ktrix
05-17-2007, 01:52 PM
What do the lights on the cable modem do while you are disconnected?

It's possible that the ethernet card is going up, but I doubt it would cause intermittent problems like that.

Your not using dial up so nothing is going to tell u when you loose connection.

Cable internet is so finicky it could be anything, bad splitters, bad cables, too long of a drop, corrosion or a loose connection at the pole.

Did the problem happen while the tech was there?
That would tell us a lot, if you where having the problem while he was checking the modem singles then you will be able to narrow down where the problem is coming from.

JRP
05-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
What do the lights on the cable modem do while you are disconnected?

It's possible that the ethernet card is going up, but I doubt it would cause intermittent problems like that.

Your not using dial up so nothing is going to tell u when you loose connection.

Cable internet is so finicky it could be anything, bad splitters, bad cables, too long of a drop, corrosion or a loose connection at the pole.

Did the problem happen while the tech was there?
That would tell us a lot, if you where having the problem while he was checking the modem singles then you will be able to narrow down where the problem is coming from.

the problems have been going on for months. The lights are all light up other than internet(which is normal). I havent checked em when it cuts you off though. Now I am getting "local area connection disconnected" righ where the 2 computers are. There sometimes are a Red X through them, then it will come back on in a matter of 2 or 3 seconds.

d3ktrix
05-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by JRP
Now I am getting "local area connection disconnected" righ where the 2 computers are. There sometimes are a Red X through them, then it will come back on in a matter of 2 or 3 seconds.

Ah that helps, now we know its between your cable modem and ur PC.

Do you have a router?

If not, then it's most likely either a bad cable from the modem to your ethernet card. Or like the tech said, your ethernet card is dieing.

JRP
05-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Ah that helps, now we know its between your cable modem and ur PC.

Do you have a router?

If not, then it's most likely either a bad cable from the modem to your ethernet card. Or like the tech said, your ethernet card is dieing.

alright i just saw that when i got kicked off(red X through the computers) all the lights were blinking other than the pc link. yes we do, we have a Etherfast Cable/DSL VPM Routher made my Linksys.

JRP
05-17-2007, 02:31 PM
also, thank you VERY much for taking the time to help me out. I dont know anything about computers, so i really appreciate it! thanks again!

d3ktrix
05-17-2007, 02:36 PM
Aight, since you have a router, it could also the be the router it self.

It could be:
The wire from the modem to the router
The router it self
The wire from the router to the PC
The ethernet card

The simplest way to figure out which is dead is to remove the router from the loop and connect the modem to the PC using just one wire.

If that stops your disconections then u know its either the router or the other wire.
If it doesn't, switch the wire, or the ethernet card.

d3ktrix
05-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by JRP
also, thank you VERY much for taking the time to help me out. I dont know anything about computers, so i really appreciate it! thanks again!

NP, I'm a PC tech so its what I do all day er day =)

JRP
05-17-2007, 02:46 PM
alright well i went and disconnected the router wire and plugged it directly into the back of the CPU, but had to disconnect the other wire that was in there. And it wouldnt work. It said i was connected, but the interenet didnt work.

d3ktrix
05-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Aight, what u have to do to fix that is release your IP before you detach the router, so you can "re obtain" it when connected directly to the PC.

Follow these steps.

Go to START -> RUN
In the RUN box type: CMD

A command prompt window will pop up, in that window type the following:

ipconfig /release *Con*

This will disable your internet, now connect the modem directly to PC like you did before. And type the following into that same command prompt window:

ipconfig /renew

Your internet should now be restored and you can continue to test your problem.

If typing the ipconfig /renew doesn't bring your internet back, you can just go into your network settings, and click the repair botton for you network connection.
Or just restart the PC and the modem.

JRP
05-17-2007, 06:31 PM
Aight, what u have to do to fix that is release your IP before you detach the router, so you can "re obtain" it when connected directly to the PC.

Follow these steps.

Go to START -> RUN
In the RUN box type: CMD

A command prompt window will pop up, in that window type the following:

ipconfig /release *Con*

This will disable your internet, now connect the modem directly to PC like you did before. And type the following into that same command prompt window:

ipconfig /renew

Your internet should now be restored and you can continue to test your problem.

If typing the ipconfig /renew doesn't bring your internet back, you can just go into your network settings, and click the repair botton for you network connection.
Or just restart the PC and the modem.

alright well i did that and it still would not work. It said "limited or no activity at all" and when i tried to repair it, it said it could not repair because of "renewing the IP address". So im taking it that its the router or the wire?

d3ktrix
05-17-2007, 07:10 PM
Doh, I messed up, that method doesn't work when you have a router hooked up, that will just release the LAN IP on the router :P

Sorry about that.

This should work better =)

Go to your routers configuration page:
http://192.168.1.1

Login
If u never set a password the default is: admin
Leave the username blank

Find the STATUS page and hit the DHCP release button.

Then unplug the power to the modem, and connect it directly to the PC, and then power the modem back up.
Might still have to restart the PC after the modem syncs to get net.

If that doesn't work call comcast and tell them you need to release/renew your IP to change a device.

d3ktrix
05-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Did u ever get this fixed?

<DRS>GPF
05-25-2007, 05:42 AM
Did u ever get this fixed?

his silence may be your answer..lol :blah:

JRP
05-25-2007, 08:06 AM
hahah na it still isnt fixed. ive done everything youve told me too, and we still get kicked off ALL the time. With the red X through the computers, then it aquires a new address then it signs you back on, and if you try to do anything else right after it signs you back on, it kicks you off again....

mxdad
05-25-2007, 08:14 AM
We just had a similar issue at work and yes it was the ethernet card that needed to be replaced. Also the one port on the router went bad. So either the port going bad wacked the ethernet card or vice versa. Also your ethernet card may be tied into the board in the pc so you may not actually replace it but rather just add a new one. The pc at work works great now.

d3ktrix
05-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by JRP
hahah na it still isnt fixed. ive done everything youve told me too, and we still get kicked off ALL the time. With the red X through the computers, then it aquires a new address then it signs you back on, and if you try to do anything else right after it signs you back on, it kicks you off again....

So u tried setting it up with out the router and only one cable and it still has the same problem?

If so then it does sound like the NIC card is actually dead.