PDA

View Full Version : Carpel Tunnel

QuadJunkies
05-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Anyone here ever had it?
Anyone know of treatments that can be done to avoid surgery??

We THINK we know why my Husbnad is having such a tough time with his hands and racing.
He has been experiencing numbness and tingling in his fingersand his hand feel like they are going to sleep regularly.
I too have thisand have had for many years,but have left it untreated(I HATE Drs).

I hate seeing him liek this and not being able to really enjoy the racing scene when he pumps out so quick:( .
Im looking for some regimens to go along with him getting more seat time to help,but of course we dont want ot make matters worse either.

Hes trying to aviod surgery,which Dr.'s are always so quick to want to put us all under the knife,so Ill take any suggestions.

Do you think this would be a good thing to aks the peeps at Cardio Stack maybe?

Quad18star
05-17-2007, 12:47 PM
I know of quite a few people that have this , many of them it's a result of working in the mines with equipment that is always vibrating ( aka White Hands) . Unfortunately , everyone I know has needed surgery to correct the problem. You're better off to get it fixed now , before it gets too severe .

johnsls
05-17-2007, 01:22 PM
Been there, had surgery and whoala,,, no more pain or discomfort., I also had something call finger lock or trigger lock.
I had it all it all done at once in one hand.

Goto a good dr. have the surgery and "definately go for rehab"

Just do it in the off season

ZeroLogic
05-17-2007, 01:46 PM
My mom has this from waitressing. The only way to get it fixed is to go under the knife that I know of. My mom has to get the surgery this summer.

LTandRaptorider
05-17-2007, 08:28 PM
I had carpal tunnel about 10 years ago. They first tried cortisone treatments... Which was a shot right into the palm of the hand! Ouch!! Didn't really help much, so they did the surgery. They just dope you up, give you a local in the hand, cut off bloodflow from the arm down. Surgery was quick. I would say if he is having a lot of problems, get the surgery done before too much irreversible nerve damage is done. ;)

Old Head
05-19-2007, 03:27 AM
I had it. Couldn't ride for more than 5 minutes before i couldn't feel the throttle or grip. Had the surgery, now no more problems. Takes a long time to heal though, like 2 to 3 months.

woodsZrider
05-19-2007, 05:50 AM
I work in surgery and the procedure is really fast and simple. Very small incision and a few mins later, no more carpel tunnel. Even if you don't like DOC's it's better to get it took care of. Or.....I have some local...and a blade.......
Just my 2 cents....Good Luck and God Bless;)

QuadJunkies
05-19-2007, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Old Head
I had it. Couldn't ride for more than 5 minutes before i couldn't feel the throttle or grip. Had the surgery, now no more problems. Takes a long time to heal though, like 2 to 3 months.

Thats EXCACTLY how he is right now .
He simply cant take all that time off work thats the main issue.
Apparently Dr Oz was on some show the other day saying there is no such thing as Carpel tunnel :rolleyes: but there is physical threrapy you can do to remedy it .
Have any of you done the physical threapy and if so, what kind of regimen was it?

MY Sister had both hands done at the same time (that sucked !) and she ended up having problems with it again later on so I wondered if surgery is really a solution. So far I have heard all success stores from each person Ive asked.

firefighterjosh
05-20-2007, 10:08 PM
I have it my self. This is what I wear as much as I can

Hand support (http://www.dickblick.com/zz352/04/)

Helps pretty good. Bought it at walmart for $10

QuadJunkies
05-20-2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks Josh ;)
What about acupunture?(sp?)

firefighterjosh
05-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Thanks Josh ;)
What about acupunture?(sp?)

I know nothing about it or how it works, all I know is my dad had it done to his back 4 years ago and he said it didn't do poo.

400exrider707
05-21-2007, 06:53 AM
My dad used to have it so bad that his hands would be pretty much asleep all the time. It was really bad when he tried sleeping, his hands would go numb and he could never fall asleep. He had both hands done, for a while they hurt and he couldn't even turn a wrench or anything, but he is much better now. I would definitely do it sooner than later. The only people I have heard say that they didn't think it did anything were the ones who waited forever to do it.