PDA

View Full Version : 400ex to 450r brake light mod

j450rking
05-16-2007, 10:01 PM
this was originaly posted by oldschool73. this is his mod i just posted it here. i have never done this mod i just thought it was cool

It 's a 450r led taillight and a banjo bolt switch from parts unlimited.

Here ya go
Parts necessary
450r led tailight (could use a different one but this bolts right in)
Hydraulic brake light switch (banjo bolt)
it is from parts unlimited your dealer should be able to order from them PART# 12-0010 it is a 10x1.25 thread so you might be able to get a different brand elsewhere. approx $19.00
wire
bullet connectors (waterproof male and female)

1. remove the banjo bolt from the rear master cylinder you will lose a little fluid but not much.
2. install new banjo bolt use new crush rings that comes with the switch
3. there is a cross tube in the frame you can fish the wires through from the switch to the battery side of the quad
4. Honda didn't have a wire connector for the tailight so I had to solder some pigtails to it.Cut the plug in from the existing taillight off.
5.there are three terminals on the back of the tailight, looking at the terminals the left is the ground (dark green of the existing taillight goes here) the center terminal is for the running light (brown wire)the right is for the brake light
6. you can bench test the light connections first with a common 9 volt battery to be sure, it wont hurt the LED .
7.run a power wire from the battery (+side) to the switch terminal the other wire from the switch hook up to the brake light terminal on the light.
8. hook up ground and running light wires to the light
9.zip tie wires in place and fill the socket area (where you soldered the pigtails to) with black RTV silicone
10. step on the pedal and smile
I didn't hook up to the front brake yet it would be the same process you would just need another switch

j450rking
05-16-2007, 10:07 PM

JOEX
05-17-2007, 07:39 PM
I did that too awhile back, front and back. You may want to bleed the brakes after doing this or better yet, change the fluid altogether. The manual recommends changing the fluid every two years.

Last year though I think one of the switches started to stick. I'd go out in the garage and the brake light would be on, move one of the levers and it would go off. I have the wires disconnected right now until I figure out what's wrong.

For others interested, check with C&D Racing, I think the switches are a little cheaper.

300exHONDARIDER
11-26-2007, 01:44 PM
A cheaper and easier way to do the front...just buy the brake switch, which mounts to the master cylinder, from an 05 or newer 400ex, it will bolt right up and work perfect. Run the wires as you would for a hydralic switch, and its done. No bleeding, no big expense. Ive got mine rigged this way.
I found a rear brake light from an 07 300ex, and it looks much better than the 400/450 rear light.

JOEX
11-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Even cheaper yet....

You can also use the neutral safety switch from the clutch lever as a brake light swtch on the brake lever.

Anyone have a pic of the '07 300ex brake light handy?

wrossi2006
07-12-2008, 10:17 AM
got any writeups on the clutch switch deal ?

yellow416ex
11-10-2008, 03:01 PM
I know its been a little while so you may already know this but the clucth switch bolts directly to the bottom of the front master cylinder, all you need is a bolt, theres already a threaded hole in the bottom. this way you dont have to take your brake line off

hockles
11-13-2008, 09:04 AM
Are there only certain years that this works on or is it just all of them?

Dicestyle1912
02-04-2009, 06:37 PM
I also Did This Mod I did a thread on how to do it too, It is basiclly the same,but with a lil more pics. Let me know what ya think?

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=380296