PDA

View Full Version : Question about repairs on a 450r im looking at

Purcell450r
05-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Well here it goes. There is a '05 450r for sale just a few miles from my house. The guy got it from a bank repo. Well here is the question. He said it starts but doesnt stay running, he said it maybe the oil pump? I don't know much about them so go easy on me. He wants 2500 for it. Do you guys have any suggestions on what else the problem could be and how much would repairs be if it were the "oil pump"?

Just let me know, Thanks!

:confused:

d3ktrix
05-16-2007, 09:42 PM
So if he thinks its not oiling correctly, I take it that it over heats before it cuts out?

Or it just idle for long and dies?

We need more info.

It just might not be jetted right, or not moving coolant, or a million other things.

Depending on whats killing it could make it worth it or not.

Find out more before u decide.

Purcell450r
05-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Well I went and looked at the bike today. It seems that the people who owned it had taken the motor apart and tried to fix whatever is wrong with it. I hopped on it and tried to start it and nothing happened. We kicked it like 10 times. We stopped trying and then we tried it again about 10 minutes later and the kicker wouldn't budge. I'm guessing it needs rebuilt. I'm no expert, but my buddy said thats probably what it needs. Now my question is, how much would a rebuild be, nothing fancy just a stock rebuild. Any input would help.

Thanks.

Sjorge450R
05-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Purcell450r
Well I went and looked at the bike today. It seems that the people who owned it had taken the motor apart and tried to fix whatever is wrong with it. I hopped on it and tried to start it and nothing happened. We kicked it like 10 times. We stopped trying and then we tried it again about 10 minutes later and the kicker wouldn't budge. I'm guessing it needs rebuilt. I'm no expert, but my buddy said thats probably what it needs. Now my question is, how much would a rebuild be, nothing fancy just a stock rebuild. Any input would help.

Thanks.

a "fancy rebuild" would be cheaper than a stock rebuild more than likely. A 12.5:1 piston costs about 140 and boring of the cylinder is like 40 so thats 180. A stock piston is more than the 12.5:1 i believe. I will let other people correct me...lol

Purcell450r
05-17-2007, 05:34 PM
Would the crank bearing cause this problem?

d3ktrix
05-17-2007, 06:04 PM
Would the crank bearing cause this problem?

Ya normally when the kicker freezes is from the crank/rod bearings.

400exrider707
05-18-2007, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
a "fancy rebuild" would be cheaper than a stock rebuild more than likely. A 12.5:1 piston costs about 140 and boring of the cylinder is like 40 so thats 180. A stock piston is more than the 12.5:1 i believe. I will let other people correct me...lol

The going rate for a bore job is $50-$60 in my area, except you cant just bore a 450R cylinder because of the NiCaSil lining. You can but then you would have to have it replated which is over $100, which is why most people just buy a new cylinder for $190 from service honda.

I would stay away from this quad. My guess is that it has already been locked up, they took it apart and got it freed up and just slapped it back together. The Oil pump really cant go bad, its a mechanical gear that squishes oil into passages, its inexpensive, but you do have to split the cases to fix it. I doubt thats what it is. If you really want this quad, I would definitely plan on a crank replacement and crank bearings at the LEAST!!! SO factor that into your budget and then decide if its still worth it. Even if you got it and put a $1000 into it, its still a good deal.

Purcell450r
05-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
The going rate for a bore job is $50-$60 in my area, except you cant just bore a 450R cylinder because of the NiCaSil lining. You can but then you would have to have it replated which is over $100, which is why most people just buy a new cylinder for $190 from service honda.

I would stay away from this quad. My guess is that it has already been locked up, they took it apart and got it freed up and just slapped it back together. The Oil pump really cant go bad, its a mechanical gear that squishes oil into passages, its inexpensive, but you do have to split the cases to fix it. I doubt thats what it is. If you really want this quad, I would definitely plan on a crank replacement and crank bearings at the LEAST!!! SO factor that into your budget and then decide if its still worth it. Even if you got it and put a $1000 into it, its still a good deal.

I have a question about the crank bearings, will the crank bearing that goes in the crf fit in the trx. I know its the same motor, but just checking. Well I'm going to make up my decision here in a few hours, well before my bank closes at 6. Thanks for all the input guys.

400exrider707
05-18-2007, 01:19 PM
I have a question about the crank bearings, will the crank bearing that goes in the crf fit in the trx. I know its the same motor, but just checking. Well I'm going to make up my decision here in a few hours, well before my bank closes at 6. Thanks for all the input guys.

No they are different bearings. On the CRF the clutch side has a radial bearing and the other side is a ball bearings, the TRX were exactly opposite... I might have this backwards, but either way they are different and are not interchangable. Also Im willing to bet its the rod bearing that actually locked up. It is quite common, and when they do go they usually take out quite a bit with them. I had my rod locked right up on my crank, it also scarred the cases on the inside, luckily not bad enough to where I had to replace cases. It sounds like someone is trying to pull a fast one with this quad in my opinion.

Sjorge450R
05-18-2007, 03:22 PM
i did not know that about the 450r cylinder. Thanks for the info. im still learning about this quad... still used to the 300. So if you are saying, I go with a over size piston its going to be like 150 just to bore and stuff?

d3ktrix
05-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
i did not know that about the 450r cylinder. Thanks for the info. im still learning about this quad... still used to the 300. So if you are saying, I go with a over size piston its going to be like 150 just to bore and stuff?

If your guna go up in bore the best thing to do is get a full kit that comes with a new cylinder/piston/rings.