PDA

View Full Version : talked with can am rep today

fasterz
05-16-2007, 06:54 PM
I work at a Can-am/ BRP dealer and today a rep came in and I asked him a few questions about the new 450. He said it is DOHC, with twin spark plugs. It is fuel injected and there will be a switch on the bike that has 2 map settings, one of the settings is for track riding and one is for trail riding. He also said ecpect it to be 50lbs lighter than current models and will have 16 more HP. It will be electric start also. Not sure if this is new info to you guys or not but I thought Id let ya know what I heard from the rep. He also said that there is already alot in the aftermarket already designed for this bike.

troutman561
05-16-2007, 08:07 PM
Lies.... 50lbs lighter? If im not mistaken doesn't that make it 300lbs? I doubt this...

rollie
05-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by troutman561
Lies.... 50lbs lighter? If im not mistaken doesn't that make it 300lbs? I doubt this...

I agree, 300 pounds has never been done,but if its true ill be eating my words:chinese: haha i know can-am has shaved off alot of there sleds, i know i heard it will be 345.

Quad18star
05-16-2007, 09:01 PM
If they can crack the 400 lbs mark with a sled ( which they have ... MXZX is 399lbs) , they can do it with the DS450. :cool:

One_Bad_400
05-16-2007, 09:47 PM
wow.... i'm really exited abotu this bike... and this bike sounds like a bread TT bike.. might be switchign over by the end of this season becdasue my 06 450r will be out of date by then... haha

ThePhantomRider
05-16-2007, 11:32 PM
It could be 50lbs lighter than the heaviest 450 which is @ 385lbs making it @ 335.

TPR

yamadjs08
05-17-2007, 05:08 AM
Or they could mean 50lbs lighter than wet weight 450's, the lightest wet weight 450 weighs 387lb's and thats the yfz450... Which means the ds450 would weigh 337...

It will be interesting to see, but either way the quad sounds very promising!:devil: :devil: :devil:

nicker71
05-17-2007, 09:32 AM
I want one!!!!!!:D :D

kbass24emtp
05-17-2007, 09:49 AM
I wonder if it will be worth the divorce to buy one?

xsr_racing28c
05-17-2007, 10:48 AM
As Quadstar18 said, they did just shave 65 + pounds off of nearly every model sled for 08, so if anyone is going to do it BRP will. There engineering is second to none, and I've had tons of expierience with there race sleds( I own an 07 440 racer) and let me tell you, they have there stuff strait.

This quad will be unlike any other , I'm expecting quite the machine.

Jay

don_carallo
05-17-2007, 01:35 PM
..what will be thinking KTM an Kawi about at this moment? :D

ThePhantomRider
05-17-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm not real sure on the validity of the first post. Most of it is just common sense. DOHC is common in Rotax, so is dual sparkies. Adjustable maps has been around, even adj cdi's, so not out of the realm but would be a cool stock feature. Weight again is ballpark, what I question is the source.

If you work for a dealership, and if a rep told you these things you'd likely be hearing from bigwigs at Can-Am already. The reps were under strict orders to divulge nothing till after 6-2 so if he did then he is a fool....

TPR

ThePhantomRider
05-17-2007, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by don_carallo
..what will be thinking KTM an Kawi about at this moment? :D

Kawasaki is saying....damn, already outdated...

KTM is sayin, well this don't affect the 525, but now we have a year to get the 450 right.....

TPR

fasterz
05-17-2007, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by ThePhantomRider
I'm not real sure on the validity of the first post. Most of it is just common sense. DOHC is common in Rotax, so is dual sparkies. Adjustable maps has been around, even adj cdi's, so not out of the realm but would be a cool stock feature. Weight again is ballpark, what I question is the source.

If you work for a dealership, and if a rep told you these things you'd likely be hearing from bigwigs at Can-Am already. The reps were under strict orders to divulge nothing till after 6-2 so if he did then he is a fool....

TPR
I work at a dealership in the parts deparment when im not away at college. I came in to work and one of the reps was there and I asked him what was up with it and what I stated in my first post is what he said mainly with a few other little things I forget. He didnt really tell me to much as most of it was expected, obviously hes not going to give every detail about it.

TYayo420
05-18-2007, 04:44 AM
well if this bike is not out yet, then how do they have after market parts so soon when the kfx 450 i THINK has nothing really available yet for after market i heard at least.

2, if the motor is done and out why don't they have a release date or pics?? of a finished project????

54warrior
05-18-2007, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by TYayo420
well if this bike is not out yet, then how do they have after market parts so soon when the kfx 450 i THINK has nothing really available yet for after market i heard at least.

2, if the motor is done and out why don't they have a release date or pics?? of a finished project????

It's all a conspiracy, LOL!!! Really though, it's a giant marketing scheme. Think about it. They know they won't be releasing the quad till such and such a date. So why not just release a few details at a time to build the suspense. Heck, look at the interest the frame alone has generated. We've talked about it for a week already and everyone is all hyped up about that alone. When we find out tomorrow about the Front Suspension and brakes, the hype will only continue to grow. By the time this thing is released, everyone will be chomping at the bit to get one of these things. Great strategy by Can-Am if you ask me. If they are smart, all the aftermarket co's will have been given access to the machine and parts will be available from the get-go.

ThePhantomRider
05-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Everytime a new 450 comes out, there are a few hand picked companies that have access to create products for sale shortly after release.

Why do you think that Walsh was ready with LTR parts, or Roll had stuff for the KFX???

That said, this quad may just need the fewest amount of aftermarket parts yet.

TPR

Evasiveone
05-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Manufacturer claimed dry weight is a joke. There is no consistency from one company to the next on how they arrive at the dry weight. These weights are with 0 fluid in them, some do not even include shock oil and some do not weigh them with a battery in them.

Look at Can Am 800 Renegades claimed weight of 596 lbs. When the magazines weighed them trail ready they were pushing 800 lbs. Weights need to be ready to ride so their is a fair comparison between brands.

But Can Am's out of the box thinking is awesome for us consumers. Gone are the days of leaving machines unchanged for years and years if the manufacturer wants to keep up with the competition.

GE4x4
05-18-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Evasiveone

Look at Can Am 800 Renegades claimed weight of 596 lbs. When the magazines weighed them trail ready they were pushing 800 lbs. Weights need to be ready to ride so their is a fair comparison between brands.

Actually DW on there next issue replyed and said the 800lbs was a mistake and they ment that it was closing in on 700lbs. That's DW for you.:mad:

ThePhantomRider
05-18-2007, 03:50 PM
They got an earfull from Can-Am officials.....

TPR

Evasiveone
05-18-2007, 05:55 PM
LOL. Man I bet Can AM engineers were upset!!

DW made a huge issue about its weight in several different areas even saying it took several guys to put it back on it's wheels when it tipped!.

But I still say quads need to be weighed with all the fluids and ready to start up and ride.

motox450
05-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Believe it or not most dry weights are from computer generated models in which add up all the calculated weights of every single part in the quad or bike. The manufactures don't even take a quad to a scale. They just use the calculated weight and call it a day. Thats why most weights are different from claimed weights.

woodsrider4ever
05-18-2007, 08:39 PM
if its anythin like there mxz rev-xp 800r sled then all i gata say is D#$% bye bye competition!!!

rpyfz450
05-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by fasterz
it is DOHC, with twin spark plugs

I wonder if this means it will have a three valve head.

honda6490
05-23-2007, 04:32 PM
Nobody can keep up with brp's stuff. Their sleds, atv's and all their other stuff is far ahead of everyone else. Took them a while to get going in the sport atv buisness but this 450 will be insane.

05-23-2007, 05:20 PM
im going to have to call BS on the 16 more HP....the normal 450 makes around 38-40, Do you really think they are going to make it have 53-56 hp in stock form??? i doubt it

bsmith106
05-23-2007, 07:18 PM
I wonder why they would use two spark plugs? Emissions maybe? Sometimes its a band aid for less than optimum combustion chamber design. I hope they use finger lever valve actuation instead of the more common shim and bucket style. That way they can run faster opening ramps on the cam and shorten the valve overlap resulting in a broader powerband. Higher lift can be achieved by using the rocker to amplify it, like in pushrod engines. It also allows the camshafts to be closer together so you could gear drive the exhaust off of the intake so they would counter rotate, cancelling their gyro effect. Packaging dual plugs with this would be tough so it probally wont be this way. The intake port on the head looks downdraft rather than flat, hopefully the exhaust exits at a high angle as well.

khj
05-23-2007, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Honda86
im going to have to call BS on the 16 more HP....the normal 450 makes around 38-40, Do you really think they are going to make it have 53-56 hp in stock form??? i doubt it

i agree 16 hp is roughly a 35% gain

but i think it will have considerably more hp than anyone else in stock form

rpyfz450
05-24-2007, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Honda86

16 does sound high, but 10 more sounds like BRP to me!

CHEVYZ
05-24-2007, 05:08 PM
I have to admit, some of the stuff I am reading seems a bit far-fetched, but if there is one company that I truly have confidence in it would definately be Can-Am! Whether or not some of this stuff is really how the bike will turn out is still on the table, but I have NO doubt that this thing will be one totally sick machine!

DEVINF450R
05-24-2007, 06:51 PM
I don't understand why they are now taking a cue from suzuki and making it 49" wide?? in the video it said it has the longest a-arms for a 46" wide quad...which is also going to equal a higher ride height... 2 things you don't want for mx:( so us mx'ers would have to replace the aluminum a-arms and put wider ones on, making it heavier and bringing it more inline with the race weight of any other 450... the rest sounds good thought and i like the way it looks from what I have seen so far

rpyfz450
05-25-2007, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by DEVINF450R
it has the longest a-arms for a 46" wide quad...which is also going to equal a higher ride height...

I suspect their "longest A-arms" comment refers to the fact the A-arms are so very close together where they pivot on the frame.

NeedsaYfz
05-26-2007, 08:56 PM
SIXTEEN MORE HORSES?

That would be HUGE for the 450 market. Every manufacturer would have to step up and at least come close that kind of power with next years models.