PDA

View Full Version : chain and sprockets????????????????

scanz2k z400
05-16-2007, 02:28 PM
hey guys and gals, i'm looking to get a chain and sprocket set. there is so many different brands, and oring this and x ring that. i live in pa, i do a lot of driving in 2nd and 3rd gear with the occasional rev out in 5th gear. i'd like more acceleration so i will go down a tooth in the front to 13. anyone have any ideas on what else to do? what brand to get, tooth up in back, oring, xring, where to get them. we do a lot of mud driving here so if anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. i have an 03 z400

mxraptor149
05-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Try posting this in the Z400 forum. You'll get more results.

scanz2k z400
05-16-2007, 04:36 PM
i did post it there. im posting it everywhere. everyone uses chains and sprockets

mxraptor149
05-17-2007, 06:40 AM
then here's my .02 from what I've experienced with the Raptor.

go with the x-ring. I've been running a cheap, $30 X-ring on my quad for the past year. I needed it for a race and I was told "it will get you through the weekend." All I do is use my grunge brush on it every time I wash the quad, and then I immediately spray it with chain wax. still flexible and strong to this day, though I have replaced several master links during regular rear end maintenance.

you will also hear some people say the X-rings are better sealed and better for regular mud riding.

as for the sprockets. I went down a tooth in the front but didn't feel it was too much of a low-end acceleration boost. so I added two teeth to the rear sprocket as well. your acceleration/top speed will also depend upon your tire size. 18s will give you more acceleration and less top end. 20s will do the opposite comparatively.

On my cousin's z400, he is still running the stock chain from 03. yeah, it's in bad shape. but it hasn't snapped (yet). as for gearing, his is stock and he rides mostly on motocross tracks and some trail riding. I like the gear ratio on it, as does he.

scanz2k z400
05-20-2007, 12:51 AM
thank you very much. i have the stock chain and it also hasnt snapped but it is stretched to the max. i cant adjust it anymore. so i need a new set. id like to get a little more out of it so i thought about going a tooth down, if that is not good enough then i guess ill go up a couple in the back next summer. im just not sure what type of stuff i want. again, thanx for the info, it is greatly appreciated.

250r4life
05-21-2007, 12:10 PM
primary drive makes some great sprockets, and for the price you can't touch them...