PDA

View Full Version : XC guys (airbox question)

Sjorge450R
05-16-2007, 07:04 AM
Im getting ready to throw a new filter/pipe/cam in my 05 and i need to know what you guys are running air box wise. I never ran a open box on my 300 and i need to know how it is on the 450. I race in some really muddy and wet stuff but will i be fine with no lid and a uni with outerwares? Or should I get the HRC lid with the uni (with or without outerware) let me know what you guys are running.

duke416ex
05-16-2007, 07:29 AM
Everyone that I race with from here runs an hrc, or stock lid modified to be like an hrc, 2 of us run uni's and one runs a twin air. It helps keep the mud and water from getting directly on the filter, but still gives you a lot more air.

huntrjc
05-16-2007, 08:17 AM
I took a stock air lid and cut out the slot like the HRC lid and also cut out a square above that about the same size. I installed the air box lid then put an airbox outerwear cover over that...the wire clips that hold the side of the airbox lid down i clipped them over the outwear so its secured firmly,,i have rode in some serious mud and made several deep water crossing in races and its held out for me:rolleyes:

quadgod440ex
05-16-2007, 08:47 AM
I run the AGP and GNCC races also... Im running no airbox lid at all on my 05. When i put my exhaust on and got everything jetted to what it said it should be my bike wouldnt even run with the airbox on . Took it off and the bike runs awsome. Cut some holes in it like the HRC lid and the bike didnt run like it was without the lid. Not sure why i guess it needed that much more air. But took the lid off and it ran awsome again. Also i run a uni with an outerware for the race. Always have your pit guy carry and extra one at a wet race to bro.

05-16-2007, 08:51 AM
I made a homemade EHS racing style lid. I cut out the front and rear portion of the lid, leaving a little lip to put bolts through. I took the lid off of a 5 gallon bucket and cut it in the shape of the opening. Then I put an outerwear over the whole thing and bolted it all together. I can post pictures tonight if anyone wants to see it.

red2004 TRX450R
05-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by huntrjc
I took a stock air lid and cut out the slot like the HRC lid and also cut out a square above that about the same size. I installed the air box lid then put an airbox outerwear cover over that...the wire clips that hold the side of the airbox lid down i clipped them over the outwear so its secured firmly,,i have rode in some serious mud and made several deep water crossing in races and its held out for me:rolleyes:

what is what i do.

http://www.outerwearsracing.com/photogallery/images/17.jpg

cletusEX
05-16-2007, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
I made a homemade EHS racing style lid. I cut out the front and rear portion of the lid, leaving a little lip to put bolts through. I took the lid off of a 5 gallon bucket and cut it in the shape of the opening. Then I put an outerwear over the whole thing and bolted it all together. I can post pictures tonight if anyone wants to see it.

I did the same thing with my lid. I usually run no lid but if I know it's going to get really wet, then I put my modified lid on. I haven't had any problems on any of my 450Rs.

roundsy
05-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer

i was thinking of doing something along those lines, so those pics would be very much appricated

05-16-2007, 05:04 PM
I used small srews and nylon locking nuts to hold it together. I folded over the outerware so I was mostly bolting through where the velcro is around the edges. Sorry 2 of the pics are kinda blurry. You get the idea.

05-16-2007, 05:05 PM

05-16-2007, 05:06 PM

05-16-2007, 05:07 PM

Lonestar_R
05-16-2007, 06:27 PM
I cut my Stock Lid like the HRC lid...and the raided the wifes unmentionables drawer and took a pair of her pantyhose and cut a leg off of them and stretch that over the the lid...it keeps the big stuff out and the some smaller stuff out and works pretty well.....but the wife isn't happy about it...LOL

Sjorge450R
05-17-2007, 07:19 PM
i think i will get a panty hose and just cut the lid like TRXR racer did. You guys dont have any problems with water getting in a bogging it down?

Also, im gonna be running a Rossier with that lid and a 03 cam. Any ball park jetting estimates?

Lonestar_R
05-17-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm running a Rossier also..but my jetting won't help you since mine is an 06.....I haven't had any problem on my 450 or my 250R with an open airbox

GIXXER1KR
05-17-2007, 08:10 PM
06,no lid,prodesign k&n with outerwear and no problems!!!

mike nash
05-17-2007, 10:19 PM
If you want to get the very best out of your setup.Get it on a Dyno,talk about peace of mind I know I'm dialed in. May not be convienient to find one.Had mine done the first time at the atvriders rauschcreek members day back in August "05" by Matt"Mobile Dyno" and I wasn't that far off but he got me more than what I had.Good luck.

Sjorge450R
05-18-2007, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by mike nash
If you want to get the very best out of your setup.Get it on a Dyno,talk about peace of mind I know I'm dialed in. May not be convienient to find one.Had mine done the first time at the atvriders rauschcreek members day back in August "05" by Matt"Mobile Dyno" and I wasn't that far off but he got me more than what I had.Good luck.

im not worried about fine tuning. I can do that. I just need to know where i should start at. I will prob just put a 170 main in there and see if it bogs. And if it doesnt then I will keep going up. And once it does I go down till it doesnt, then do a plug chop.