PDA

View Full Version : 04/05vs 06/07 498/542vs.HRC

maddmatt02
05-15-2007, 11:04 PM
ok, I have easily enough down and make easily enough to pay the monthly payments plus some, but I screwed my credit to where a bank wouldnt finance me on bubblegum. my GF says shell get one in her name for me and Ill pay. well, I really like the new 07 white one, but if I finance one, especially under someone elses name Ill feel more obligated to pay it off before I mod it. so if anything Ill for sure only be able to get a exhaust and filter, possibly add in the HRC kit to the bill and finance that. but for the price of a newer 06/07 I would save about enough or more than enough to get the ice cube big bore stroker 542.

also thinking about the 498 and put the 1200 saved towards P&P/cam/valvetrain.

I see on the 06/07 its 488 or 522 and the power is 37 flt/bls or 42 ft/lbs and way earlier, and is only a 2.4 HP gain, 55.6HP or 58HP, and it

so the 542 is nice for the bottom end, but is this much stroke enough that I wouldnt wanna rev past the stock limiter ever? between a 460ex stroker, and a piped yfz, I do like the low end but that awesome top end of the YFZ is very nice too. I think if I had to choose id want the top end power, which is why I was thinking of just BB, lots of headwork and a nasty cam so I should have a very nice top end motor.

also did the 04/05 450r's have fcr's or did they have that butterfly with vaccum slide or whatever?

I know the 06/07s are way faster than the first generation bike, ive heard a stock 06 takes out a HRC'd 05. no proof though. but basically a slew of basic bolt ons to a 06 wont hang with a 498 with built head and a good exhaust right?

IMSROLL450R
05-15-2007, 11:09 PM
Big bore is always gonna be more powerful but you cant hardly beat the power of the HRC 06/07 matched with its honda component reliability. I have one and have yet to find where I need more power other than the drag strip and I never have to work on mine.

400exrider707
05-16-2007, 05:56 AM
I say you have either a brave, or stupid, girlfriend. :blah:

So instead of just trying to get a decent wheeler you are just trying to spend every last penny you make or what?

I dont think a 542 bored/stroked motor is going to be all that reliable. What kind of riding are you going to be doing?

maddmatt02
05-16-2007, 07:27 AM
well, its not like we just started dating, we just aint married yet. Ive known her for almost 10 years.

and basically my riding is either wide open desert, wide open dune riding, hill climbs, drag racing (not sanctioned), trails now and then.

so the main thing I need to accomplish right away is to be quicker than a 04 yfz with DRD/K&N. if a HRC'd 07 would do this then I might go that route, leave the bore/stroke stock and build that head, then maybe later punch it up some.

and I dont wanna spend every last cent but decent just doesnt cut it for me, I like to have the fastest out of all my buddies, thats why I have a bored/stroked pocketbike. lol

TMSmx47
05-16-2007, 09:29 AM
Get the 07.. Buy the HRC kit and leave it alone.. Save your girl a bigger head ache if you tried to go nuts wit the big bore stuff. You'll spank the yfz no prob wit a HRC 07..

400exrider707
05-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by TMSmx47
Get the 07.. Buy the HRC kit and leave it alone.. Save your girl a bigger head ache if you tried to go nuts wit the big bore stuff. You'll spank the yfz no prob wit a HRC 07..

My thoughts exactly, and an HRC equipped bike will still be very reliable and a good all around bike, which seems to be what you would use it for, a little bit of everything.

Big Red Menace
05-16-2007, 06:10 PM
I own 2006 Max Power buillt 522R and absoluty love it. Those that say you don't need a stroker haven't ridden one. Another common response is it's bigger so it can't be reliable. This all BS and uneducated responses.
My personal machine is used for mx and ice racing in the winter. It's got the stroker crank, Max Power ported head and Ice cube cylinder of course. Web 493/729 cam, springs, and Rossier exhaust. Stock air box with prodesign foam filter. This has dyno'd at over 60 easy to ride hp. The torque is broad and comes on early, yet with the porting and cam choice it revs very well and pulls all the way to the rev limiter. Versatilty is key here, you can play ride this engine, race it, stomp your buddies in most any kind of race, what ever. Build a 450cc engine up and you get a high rpm torqueless engine that you need to hit every shift at the precise time to keep a stroker with in sight. My engine gets ridden much lower in the rpm band than a small bore engine therfore much less wear and heat. My hour meter says 75 hours and it dyno'd 61 hp just two weeks ago.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a211/Thumperman/TRX522R4-28-07.jpg Fast, fun, reliable, what more could I ask for?

maddmatt02
05-16-2007, 09:30 PM
so far looks like im going hrc'd 450, Im gonna find a dealer with one not setup and Im gonna hang out while they uncrate and put the wheels on and crap, and then take it home, to make sure no clown races my brand new engine around the parking lot before I take it home. itll probably go up to a 522 someday, at least by rebuild time, maybe sooner.

bananas
05-17-2007, 05:41 AM
I have a TRX450ER 06.. HRC kit and love it BUT!!! I was riding with DOC-BONES and we were in 5th on a straight away and we were flying and than it happened... He pulled away from me like is was standing still.. I am still in shock!!!! I know he just got motor work done, he didn't say what but he did say his gearing was changed..

I can't get it out of my mind... One more thing, I got home at 4:57am on Sunday, We started that day at Doc's at 8:30am on Saturday.

Colby@C&DRacing
05-17-2007, 07:48 AM
We have built quite a few big bore/stroked 450s and love the power and reliablity of them.:)

400exrider707
05-17-2007, 07:52 AM
It's hard to just simply say a stroker motor is reliable. There are a lot of factors that go into building one. Compression, valvetrain, what cam you are running, jetting, what its used for, who built it. I'm not saying they cant be made to be reliable, but I would put my money on an HRC equipped stock bore/stroke 450R being very reliable.

A motor is only reliable as you build it. nuff said!:chinese:

Big Red Menace - how about an A/F chart to go with that?

ratso
05-18-2007, 10:45 AM
I would get the 07. Ride it stock for a while, I know it's hard to do especially if you road a bike with an hrc. Then get the hrc kit they only cost $325. Ride and enjoy, then go for the stroker.

maddmatt02
05-24-2007, 12:00 PM
youre gonna have to help me out here, whos doc bones? what does he ride

TRX450RACER174
05-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Get the HRC kit and be done with it what use is a stock bike with a stroker mtr if you dont have the chassis to use that mtr, sure a stroker mtr would be the shiz but set it up with the stock mtr 1st then work your way into a stroker.

pats2007450er
05-24-2007, 09:49 PM
what does the hrc kit come with.how big of a difference does it make.07450r

maddmatt02
05-25-2007, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by TRX450RACER174
Get the HRC kit and be done with it what use is a stock bike with a stroker mtr if you dont have the chassis to use that mtr, sure a stroker mtr would be the shiz but set it up with the stock mtr 1st then work your way into a stroker.

what do you mean dont have the chassis for that motor. I ride in the desert and in the dunes, the stock chassis would do fine, I dont race any type except for flat track but im moving to az in a few month so thats over, the bike i raced was setup for it and it wasnt mine so its not coming with me when I move.

TRX450RACER174
05-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Excuse my ignorance! but what good is it to have the power if you don't have the suspension to back it up, I race desert and ride in the dunes and like i said what good is all that power without some chassis to back it up, so you can go through the desert at 80+, take it for what it's worth.

maddmatt02
05-25-2007, 05:59 PM
I dont mean anything by it, Im just saying fo rthe kind of riding I like to do I dont need to spend so much money on suspension, if it were cheaper id do it, probably still would eventually, but speed is cheaper than suspension, and more fun. suspension parts are just so expensive that I cant see doing it, im sure the ride would be alot nicer, but I can get up the hills fine without stretching out, I can land the jump(maybe not as soft though) without all the travel, I can go same top speed either way... I am not trying to say its not a nice thing to have, or even a necessity in some cases, but its just not that important to me.

370kingR
05-28-2007, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by bananas
I have a TRX450ER 06.. HRC kit and love it BUT!!! I was riding with DOC-BONES and we were in 5th on a straight away and we were flying and than it happened... He pulled away from me like is was standing still.. I am still in shock!!!! I know he just got motor work done, he didn't say what but he did say his gearing was changed..

I can't get it out of my mind... One more thing, I got home at 4:57am on Sunday, We started that day at Doc's at 8:30am on Saturday.

First off, dont be mad Doc ripped ya....he is a VERY good rider and he can pretty much have ANYTHING built he wants as it seems he has endless funds (i shoulda been a bone doctor..lol)

Those guys are pretty damn cool to ride with. But i doubt Doc's giving up the secrates.....

The only thing you can throw at him is he doesnt spin wrenches so what ever kicked your tail he didnt build. I like the fact i build/ride what i own.

maddmatt02
05-28-2007, 10:49 PM
looks like im going 04/05 unless i find a great deal on an 06, I am moving to AZ in september, and my boss(who I go riding with mainly) offered me an 07 white 450r if I stayed for at least 2 more years, but id already made a sort of business deal with my uncle down there, now I have it to where if I go down there when i had planned , either my mom, or my uncle will cosign for me on a used one, wont be free but i figured a free one over 2 years would work out to a 2/hr raise which I make 18 now and will make 20 there anyways and i pay rent here and will be living free for a while there (free rent plus cash while remodeling the house i move into on 10 acres[lots of riding room])

ive found 04/05's for less than 4k with nerfs/bumper/filter/slip-on, etc...

now I gotta decide which engine build Ill go for, I just saw the falicon crank/nmotion 600cc kit but I like the bling that comes with the ice-cube as well as the additional cooling, as well as being 4mm less stroke. plus maxpower claims no case modification required, I am guessing to stuff that much stroke in there theres some clearancing required, and to get that large of a cylinder in there does the case need to be machined to get the jug to fit?

thing is I like the lowend of his 460 stroker and I like the top end screaming revs of my girls yfz and I cant decide which I like more yet.