PDA

View Full Version : air box. how to remove it. help please

bdickey450r
05-15-2007, 10:06 PM
i just purchased a uni air filter. now i want to remove the airbox. how do i do this? do i just remove the top lid or what? please help.

d3ktrix
05-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Just take the lid off.

But if u are removing the lid, you need to rejet before you can ride it.
If you don't you will cause major engine damage.

bdickey450r
05-15-2007, 10:42 PM
dang, i thought i could just take the lid off and be good to go. and the lid is just that lil clip on part under the seat right?

IMSROLL450R
05-15-2007, 11:26 PM
yeah just unclip it but you wont be able ride it without the lid until you rejet because it will idle and then when you stab the throttle it will cut out.

05-16-2007, 05:52 AM
not to be mean, but if you are not even sure what the airbox lid is, this is a project you should not do on your own. there should be someone experienced there to help you and teach you. you def. should not be getting all of you instructions off of the internet. although many can and will give you the correct ways of doing things, we cannot see any mistakes you make. without us seeing first hand any mistakes you may be making, we may not be able to prevent some major damage to your motor

IMSROLL450R
05-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
not to be mean, but if you are not even sure what the airbox lid is, this is a project you should not do on your own. there should be someone experienced there to help you and teach you. you def. should not be getting all of you instructions off of the internet. although many can and will give you the correct ways of doing things, we cannot see any mistakes you make. without us seeing first hand any mistakes you may be making, we may not be able to prevent some major damage to your motor

very true and well put

bdickey450r
05-16-2007, 02:34 PM
thanks guys i appricate it. i just dont udnerstand how removing the lid is going to make that big of a difference. i thought you had to remove the whole thing. it seems way to easy. but what jet do you suggest i get. remember i am running a stock exhaust, i just have the spark arrestor out of it.

d3ktrix
05-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by bdickey450r
thanks guys i appricate it. i just dont udnerstand how removing the lid is going to make that big of a difference. i thought you had to remove the whole thing. it seems way to easy. but what jet do you suggest i get. remember i am running a stock exhaust, i just have the spark arrestor out of it.

Normally with the air box lid on the engine has to suck air through that small white tube/snorkel on the front of the air box, which is very restrictive and doesn't let much air in.

Once you remove the lid, the engine doesn't have to suck air through that really small tube anymore. It has the whole top of the air box to breath.

But if you are letting more air into your engine, and not increasing the fuel (by rejetting) you will not have the correct fuel mixture and your engine will not run correctly.
In this case, you'll have too much air and not enough fuel causing a lean mixture. You bike will run hot and weak.

But by removing the air box lid AND rejetting you are allowing more air and fuel to be sucked into the combustion chamber, giving you more power =)

Removing the entire air box is not necessary, removing the lid is more then enough.

bdickey450r
05-16-2007, 03:14 PM
thanks, that was a very detailed explination. now i understand how it works. but does anyone know what jet to run? could i get a .180 in there?

05-16-2007, 03:28 PM
i think a 180 would be too much for just what you have...maybe a 160 would be close...the problem is is that you can't just throw a bigger jet in and be done with it. you need to get the jetting right... too lean(too much air, not enough fuel) and you can/will burn up the valves, piston, etc etc etc.

too rich(too mcuh fuel and not enough air) and you will run crappy because not all of the fuel is burning. it is better to be a little rich than it is to be a little lean since the incoming fuel/air mixture cools the combustion chamber area(valves, upper cylinder, piston top, head) more than any other source of cooling, which is why it is doubly important to not use too lean a mixture.

to get thsi right, you will need to do plug chops...this is done by getting into the top ranges of the throttle and cutting the motor off without the rpms falling. then you take the plug out adn look at the color...

Ideally, a plug should be tan to light brown

white is too lean and black is too rich