PDA

View Full Version : first oil change on 400ex

kilgoja
05-15-2007, 08:51 PM
ok...i did my first oil change on my 400ex.....it says it takes approx. 1.8 qts of oil .....i put a full 2 qts. in it and it is still a long way from the full level....maybe an inch...just wondered if this is normal ....just kinda wierd for it to be that far off....anyone else notice this when they did their first oil change

Dill
05-15-2007, 08:59 PM
mine takes 2.25 quarts, I had the same issue when I did my first change, the manual lies.

kilgoja
05-15-2007, 09:15 PM
well i may have screwed up...lol....i read somewhere on here that u crank it up and let it idle for a few min then turn it off and wait about a min then check the level....they said if u wait too long it will read low on the dipstick......i dunno...maybe i waited too long...lol....i will check it again.....

89'350RX
05-16-2007, 05:57 AM
Put in 2 quarts. Start motor let it run for a few minutes. Shut off and within one minute pull dipstick and check.

Just did mine and 2 quarts has at almost to the top. 2.2 would put it right to the top.

kilgoja
05-16-2007, 05:11 PM
yeah ok...i did it just like the manual says...let it warm up for 5 minutes....then shut it off and check it after 2-3 minutes......it read a little higher but it was still low....so i guess it does take a little more than 2 qts. to fill it up...wierd...why didn't they just say it takes approx. 2 qts.....lol.....anyways this engine is wierd with this dry sump stuff...lol...this is the first engine in my life that i've seen that had 2 drain plugs for the oil....and it also has that crankcase check bolt....does anyone actually use that?....i mean if there is oil in the tank it's gonna be in the crankcase right....i dunno...just different from what i'm used to i guess

Piker450
05-21-2007, 08:35 PM
mine always took 1.8 qts. it filled the oil tank. you have to let it idle because if you rev it it shoots all the oil in the motor and dosent give an accurite reading

honda6490
05-22-2007, 04:01 PM
start it up and let it idle for about 5-15 seconds then top off. This is the correct procedure.

Zach