PDA

View Full Version : Shavings in filter. What is it?

250xridamatt
05-15-2007, 08:25 PM
I changed the oil in my 05 450r today, and found a good amount of shavings in the filter. I usually find a few small ones, but it seems like there are more and more each oil change, and these are bigger than usual. Im getting worried and want to know what all of these shavings are coming from. It is not smoking, and doesnt seem to have any problems running. Is this what happens with the crank bearings, or is it something else?

cincy250R
05-15-2007, 08:29 PM
i think your filter is working.....;)

-dave

GPracer2500
05-15-2007, 08:36 PM
What color are the shavings?

250xridamatt
05-15-2007, 08:45 PM
The shavings are a metallic silver.

d3ktrix
05-15-2007, 09:05 PM
Rod or crank bearings?

I wouldn't run it anymore until you find out whats going on inside.

It might pop or lock the next time you kick it.

sunco
05-16-2007, 05:38 AM
Rod or crank bearings? So how much does that cost? Can you take it apart & replace w/ new stuff or do you need to take it to the shop? Does the engine have to come out ? I just had mine lock up. its an 04'

TRX450RACER174
05-16-2007, 10:23 AM
There is a updated crank kit for 04/05, yes motor has to come out, if your not qualified take it to someone this is not a simple project. BTW there is a sticky at the top of the page on this.

450R_lover
05-16-2007, 04:24 PM
My buddy just bought an 05 not too long ago and we went to change the oil and the filter also had alot of metal shavings in it. My first thought was crank bearings, then we opened up the side cases and checked the bearing. It was fine, the metal shavings were from clutch discs where the person before him had fried a clutch or something and left the remains in the engine. I'd check into it, the reason we knew thats what it was was because we found a larger chunk of a fiber disc and we noticed the clutch was brand new and the clutch basket was a hinson.

Johnny B
05-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by 450R_lover
My buddy just bought an 05 not too long ago and we went to change the oil and the filter also had alot of metal shavings in it. My first thought was crank bearings, then we opened up the side cases and checked the bearing. It was fine, the metal shavings were from clutch discs where the person before him had fried a clutch or something and left the remains in the engine. I'd check into it, the reason we knew thats what it was was because we found a larger chunk of a fiber disc and we noticed the clutch was brand new and the clutch basket was a hinson.

the trannny and the engine are seperate in a 450. the transmission oil does not go through the filter. only the engine oil does.

N300exJ
05-16-2007, 04:52 PM
the clutch is seperate from the engine. Metal shavings are the first and sure sign that your lower rod bearing has takin a crap. and get use to it the 04/05 engines do it all the time and keep doing it. The update doesnt do anything either since i had it from the factory in my 05. I put in a hotrods crank and a few other things and my lower rod bearing has gone by by after only 6 months since rebuild. Im probably gonna fix this thing one more time and sell it. I cant afford to keep fixin this thing...

sunco
05-16-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm over on the thread & I have an extended warranty that I bought. Good thing I remembered. I was told to put it back to stock then take it in. I bought 42 months for $600 & now I'm at 37 months.

d3ktrix
05-16-2007, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by 450R_lover

How did clutch material get from his tranny side to the engine side?

Johnny B
05-18-2007, 03:39 PM
it dident

d3ktrix
05-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Johnny B
it dident

How did it get in the oil filter then?

Punk'd
05-19-2007, 08:03 PM
Sounds like your rod bearings about to go. I wouldnt start it anymore untill you figure out what the deal is.. You'll lock it up and might cause more damage.