PDA

View Full Version : What is stock 400ex timing settings?

honda6490
05-15-2007, 05:36 PM
I had to change out the timing gasket cause it was leaking a bit, I think I might have moved the timing screw a bit. Just wondering if anyone knew or knows where I can find out what the stock timing for a 400ex is (example: 1 turn out, 2 turns out, 3 turns out, 3.25 turns out, and so on. Thanks a lot I appreciate it.

Zach

Oh yea Im almost postive it doesnt matter but would a 440 bb kit change the timing settings i need to set it at at all? Thanks

honda6490
05-15-2007, 06:19 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/polarisguy6490/05-15-07_1803.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/polarisguy6490/05-15-07_1803.jpg

There is a phillips screw in the middle of the timing chain tensioner gasket thing, Im not sure if its just a plug to the internals of a auto tensioner or it is an ajustment screw does anyone know...because it can be tigtened.

My other question is how do you check to see if your timing chain tensioner is working properly, and/or how do you check to see if the chain has stretched.

Thanks a lot guys I appreciate it.

JOEX
05-15-2007, 06:54 PM
There's no timing screw that i'm aware of. The timing isn't adjustable on the 400ex unless you have an aftermarket adjustable cam gear.

Someone else will have to explain how to check the tensioner...

MO-EX-RIDER
05-15-2007, 07:25 PM
stock timing on the 400ex is when the 2 lines on the stock cam gear sit exactly flush with the cylinder..1 tooth off and it wont run.....i know from experience:D

honda6490
05-15-2007, 07:37 PM
So Im guessing that phillips screw is just like a plug for the timing chain tensioner. It is somewhat loose...should I tighten it somewhat????

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help.

JOEX
05-15-2007, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by honda6490
So Im guessing that phillips screw is just like a plug for the timing chain tensioner. It is somewhat loose...should I tighten it somewhat????

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help.
No, there's more to it than that but i'm not able to explain it:ermm:

underpowered
05-15-2007, 10:49 PM
the tenstioner is automatic on teh 400ex. it is spring loaded.

the phillips screw is just a cover. under it, there is a flat head swrew that you turn to pull the tensioner in when you remove it. once you take out the two 8mm head bolts the tensioner will spring out, and you should have to wind it back in using the flat head screw under the phillips screw when doing so. the screw should not be loose, but it does not change anything if you turn it.

honda6490
05-16-2007, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by underpowered
the tenstioner is automatic on teh 400ex. it is spring loaded.

the phillips screw is just a cover. under it, there is a flat head swrew that you turn to pull the tensioner in when you remove it. once you take out the two 8mm head bolts the tensioner will spring out, and you should have to wind it back in using the flat head screw under the phillips screw when doing so. the screw should not be loose, but it does not change anything if you turn it.

Thanks

400exrider707
05-16-2007, 11:01 AM
So what did you actually replace? The rubber o-ring on the phillips part, or the actual gasket under the timing chain tensioner. If you remove that phillips cap there is a flat blade screw down in there. That is how you remove tension out of the tensioner. If you took the entire tensioner off to replace the gasket, you need to back off the tension on the tensioner with a flat blade screw driver, and while holding the tension off, bolt the tensioner back onto the motor, then once tight, you remove the flat blade screwdriver and the tensioner self adjusts against the chain. If you removed just the little phililps cap and replaced the o-ring in there, then dont worry about it. Tighten that phillips screw back down all the way, that does not effect timing at all.

honda6490
05-16-2007, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
So what did you actually replace? The rubber o-ring on the phillips part, or the actual gasket under the timing chain tensioner. If you remove that phillips cap there is a flat blade screw down in there. That is how you remove tension out of the tensioner. If you took the entire tensioner off to replace the gasket, you need to back off the tension on the tensioner with a flat blade screw driver, and while holding the tension off, bolt the tensioner back onto the motor, then once tight, you remove the flat blade screwdriver and the tensioner self adjusts against the chain. If you removed just the little phililps cap and replaced the o-ring in there, then dont worry about it. Tighten that phillips screw back down all the way, that does not effect timing at all.

**** I just had to replace the gasket, all I did was put it back in not holding the flat tension screw off. My headers and stuff are all back on. Do I really need to take everything back off just to set the tesion like you said, or should it be ok?

Thanks

400exrider707
05-17-2007, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by honda6490
**** I just had to replace the gasket, all I did was put it back in not holding the flat tension screw off. My headers and stuff are all back on. Do I really need to take everything back off just to set the tesion like you said, or should it be ok?

Thanks

You can set the tension just by taking that tensioner off, that is all you have to take off, you shouldn't have to touch another thing. Here is step by step... (I think someone needs a service manual!)

1) Remove the phillips cap on the tensioner (it's easier to do this with the tensioner installed still)
2) Remove the two bolts holding the tensioner to the head using an 8mm socket.
3) Using a small flat-blade screwdriver, back the tension off of the tensioner by sticking it in the hole that was covered with the phillips cap. It will only turn one way.
4) With the tension fully backed off on the tensioner (meaning you have to hold the small flat blade screwdriver with one hand) place it back on the head and replace the two bolts with the 8mm socket.
5) Once you have it bolted back on, you can release the flat blade screwdriver, and the tensioner will automatically snap back into tension.
6) Replace the phillips cap, and you are done!

This is a lot easier to do with a buddy to hold the tension off while you bolt the tensioner back down. Also while you have the tensioner off, test it to see that it is still good. Simply push on the tensioner and if it pushes inwards, then it is bad. It should only spring out. Hope this helps.

Also if you ran it like this let me know, because you will have other problems to worry about.

Also why did you have the headers off? What exactly were you doing?

honda6490
05-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
You can set the tension just by taking that tensioner off, that is all you have to take off, you shouldn't have to touch another thing. Here is step by step... (I think someone needs a service manual!)

1) Remove the phillips cap on the tensioner (it's easier to do this with the tensioner installed still)
2) Remove the two bolts holding the tensioner to the head using an 8mm socket.
3) Using a small flat-blade screwdriver, back the tension off of the tensioner by sticking it in the hole that was covered with the phillips cap. It will only turn one way.
4) With the tension fully backed off on the tensioner (meaning you have to hold the small flat blade screwdriver with one hand) place it back on the head and replace the two bolts with the 8mm socket.
5) Once you have it bolted back on, you can release the flat blade screwdriver, and the tensioner will automatically snap back into tension.
6) Replace the phillips cap, and you are done!

This is a lot easier to do with a buddy to hold the tension off while you bolt the tensioner back down. Also while you have the tensioner off, test it to see that it is still good. Simply push on the tensioner and if it pushes inwards, then it is bad. It should only spring out. Hope this helps.

Also if you ran it like this let me know, because you will have other problems to worry about.

Also why did you have the headers off? What exactly were you doing?

Thanks guys I really appreciate it, did everything you said and the whole ex is back together and running mint. Just gotta throw some new oil in it tommrow when my oil filters come in and I should be good to go for a while haha.

Zach