PDA

View Full Version : suspension for a 400ex

kilgoja
05-15-2007, 05:28 PM
ok when people upgrade the suspension is it mainly just the front suspension or is necessary to do front and rear....i mainly just trail ride and stuff with jumps here and there...i was thinkin of maybe some recreational works front shocks .....nothing fancy...i don't need a lot of adjustablility...just good all around riding shocks...any ideas?

MO-EX-RIDER
05-15-2007, 07:02 PM
if i were just a "trail rider" i would get a pair of low line elka's or works, but keep stock arms and have the rear revalved

gojk
05-15-2007, 10:55 PM
When I just did rec riding, I was more than happy with the cheap triple rate works shocks on the front of my 400ex.

<DRS>GPF
05-16-2007, 05:51 AM
you should try for a set of trx450 or kfx400 stock "takeoffs"..

you could spend the cash saved on getting them changed to triple rate for about what youd spend on a new set of works or elka rec series..

400exrider707
05-16-2007, 08:26 AM
If you are planning on doing the front only, a set of works standard travels would be the best option. It is not advised to get a ZPS setup like elkas on the front and leave the rear stock, as it will effect handling. If you are doing all three shocks, then I would go for something with a ZPS setup. Dont forget you can always have you rear revalved/resprung, you dont need to spend the cash on an anftermarket unit.

05-16-2007, 08:35 AM
for trail riding, which is what i do...you def. need the rear done...it is more important than the front...have derisi, gt thunder, or c&d racing revalve youor rear...if you do derisi or gt thunder, get their rear link also...it makes a world of difference.

as far as the fronts go...stay away from works...they are junk...elka rec shock will be your best bet...i know mine made a big difference...the bike handles so much better on the trails with this set up...also consider a stick style steering stabilizer...hnads down, the best mod i have done...the more expensive ones are just too exoensive for "casual" trail riding...racing maybe, but just everyday riding...not necessary...

400exrider707
05-16-2007, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
for trail riding, which is what i do...you def. need the rear done...it is more important than the front...have derisi, gt thunder, or c&d racing revalve youor rear...if you do derisi or gt thunder, get their rear link also...it makes a world of difference.

as far as the fronts go...stay away from works...they are junk...elka rec shock will be your best bet...i know mine made a big difference...the bike handles so much better on the trails with this set up...also consider a stick style steering stabilizer...hnads down, the best mod i have done...the more expensive ones are just too exoensive for "casual" trail riding...racing maybe, but just everyday riding...not necessary...

Have you had your elka fronts revalved by anyone? I found that my elka rec fronts were way too stiff for trail riding, and they didn't absorb any small things. They only took big hits. For trail riding I think I would be happier with a set of works and a revalved rear personally, than a set of elka recs. If I owned a 400ex, I would get a set of stock 450R fronts, and then send those and the stock rear to someone to get all three built, and have the 450R fronts setup for the 400ex. It is the most cost effective and best upgrade for the money IMO.

05-16-2007, 09:13 AM
no i haven't...they soak up everything i, or my wife now, throws at them...small big, whatever.

my take on the 450r on 400ex shocks is that if you have to modify the mount then they don't belong there...granted, it is a cheap way to go, but...it is still not right...jmo..and never having rode with that set-up, i can't speak to as how well it works...i just don't like the idea...something with the geometry has to change because of different shock length...does it change for the better? does it change for the worse? my guess would be for the worse or honda would have used that shock length to begin with...

lt a-arms and shocks are different story...they are designed to be lt and keep the correct geometry

kilgoja
05-16-2007, 04:28 PM
yeah ok..thanks for the replies....i wasn't sure whether to go with works or elka...i know everyone has different opinions...lol....i have thought about a steering stabalizer...certainly seems like it would be a worthwhile mod for trail riding....how exactly does it work...is it easy to put on....and how much does it cost?

05-16-2007, 06:08 PM
it clamps to the steering stem adn the frame and it acts like a shock...

they cost between 125 and 160...i buy the noss machine off of ebay for about 125. they are not rebuildabale, but you can buy a new cartridge for a few doallars more than what you would have in rebuilding one...

400exrider707
05-17-2007, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
no i haven't...they soak up everything i, or my wife now, throws at them...small big, whatever.

my take on the 450r on 400ex shocks is that if you have to modify the mount then they don't belong there...granted, it is a cheap way to go, but...it is still not right...jmo..and never having rode with that set-up, i can't speak to as how well it works...i just don't like the idea...something with the geometry has to change because of different shock length...does it change for the better? does it change for the worse? my guess would be for the worse or honda would have used that shock length to begin with...

lt a-arms and shocks are different story...they are designed to be lt and keep the correct geometry

I agree with what you say, but if you read my post... I said have the 450R fronts modified for your EX, you can have stock 450R fronts modified to the 400ex shock length. This is a very good inexpensive alternative. They would probably cost about the same as a set of rec elkas, but you get the added benefit of a piggyback rezzie, as well as compression and rebound adjust. Also speedyquad - have you ridden any other suspension setups built for you and your quad?

<DRS>GPF
05-17-2007, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I found that my elka rec fronts were way too stiff for trail riding, and they didn't absorb any small things. They only took big hits. For trail riding I think I would be happier with a set of works and a revalved rear personally, than a set of elka recs.

agreed.. and i am happier..

kilgoja
05-18-2007, 07:28 PM
so several people are saying that the elka's are too stiff for trail riding....anyone else have an opinion about this....the elka's and the works are both triple spring shocks...i would've guessed they would perform about the same if setup right....i dunno....i really only have problems with my front shocks on jumps....they don't bottom out but the landings are just harder than i would like sometimes.....i really haven't noticed anything bad about the rear shock....seems to be pretty good for the riding i do.....i wish they would've just put shocks like the 450r on the 400ex fronts to begin with...lol....would've been fine then .....so elka or works....hmmmm......any more opinions?

05-18-2007, 10:26 PM
actually, i have.
i knew what you meant, and your point is valid. i don't like the idea of taking apiece of the frame for clearance.
since it needed to be asked, i am looking at it from a recreational ridrs view. there would be "too much" shock and it would never get set up correctly,

ride_red666
05-19-2007, 01:25 AM
i hav elka recs and i love them. way better than stock and well worth the money. they soak up the small stuff and you can adjust them for the bigger jumps. the fatser you go the better they work.