PDA

View Full Version : Anybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

450rdominator
05-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Hey, if the 08' 450's have fuel injection...do you think that they would make a conversion kit for the 06-07 450's so they could have it too...or would they just pretty much say your screwed...or if anybody knows how you can make a 96 fuel injected please,please,please let me know!!!!!

450rdominator
05-15-2007, 04:56 PM
sorry 06 not 96

eganracing
05-15-2007, 05:38 PM
y do u want fuel injection so bad?

05-15-2007, 06:15 PM
efi is nice but carbs arent bad eather im not really into all this new elctric **** i like the hondas as they are their perfect ;-)

450rdominator
05-15-2007, 07:40 PM
I want the fuel injection...because everything carb wise is easier
you dont have to mess with all the jets and stuff....you just have to dial it in!!!!!

400exrider707
05-15-2007, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by 450rdominator
I want the fuel injection...because everything carb wise is easier
you dont have to mess with all the jets and stuff....you just have to dial it in!!!!!

and way more expensive...

IMSROLL450R
05-15-2007, 11:46 PM
carbs are a thing of the past, why are all cars, trucks, crotch rockets, anything EFFICIENT fuel injected? I dont know how many times I have paid 80 bucks to have the dealer rejet when I did something new to the bike. Honda would only be getting in the injected aftermarket race that much quicker and the way everything is going they damn well should. By no means do I mouth my own 06 450r but they need to look where the technology is because by the way, technology is what has got us this far.

400exrider707
05-16-2007, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by IMSROLL450R
carbs are a thing of the past, why are all cars, trucks, crotch rockets, anything EFFICIENT fuel injected? I dont know how many times I have paid 80 bucks to have the dealer rejet when I did something new to the bike. Honda would only be getting in the injected aftermarket race that much quicker and the way everything is going they damn well should. By no means do I mouth my own 06 450r but they need to look where the technology is because by the way, technology is what has got us this far.

If you are tired of paying $80 to a dealer to jet, how much do you think its going to cost you to get an EFI quad tuned at the dealer after you put a pipe on it? Programmers run for $400+

On another note, why are you paying anyone to do your jetting?

quadgod440ex
05-16-2007, 09:04 AM
I dont know about you guys but i love a carb setup and im happier then all hell that honda has not went fuel injected yet.I dont know about yous but id much rather buy a $5 jet to get my bike dialed in then a $400+ programmer . If you spend $400+ on jets then i could see where your coming from . But hopefully honda stays with the carb setup.

TMSmx47
05-16-2007, 09:42 AM
Once you have your carb set up perfect, it will smoke EFI! I wouldn't trade my FCR for anything! My throttle response is 10x's better then EFI! But I got it that way with alot of time and research! I have no such thing as the famous FCR bog/hesitation! Our shops been doin carbs for over 10years!

IMSROLL450R
05-16-2007, 12:17 PM
[i]
On another note, why are you paying anyone to do your jetting? [/B]

I guess not everyone knows everything like you.

400exrider707
05-16-2007, 12:29 PM
I guess not everyone knows everything like you.

Dont take it so personal man, we all had to learn somewhere. Take your carb off and take a look at it sometime, its really not that difficult to do, with an attitude like that you cant learn anything. :ermm: There are detailed threads with pictures on how to do this. That's not even what I meant by that comment, even paying someone to do your jetting for you shouldn't cost that much.

IMSROLL450R
05-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Dont take it so personal man, we all had to learn somewhere. Take your carb off and take a look at it sometime, its really not that difficult to do, with an attitude like that you cant learn anything. :ermm: There are detailed threads with pictures on how to do this. That's not even what I meant by that comment, even paying someone to do your jetting for you shouldn't cost that much.

The carb is the only thing I am scared to take apart all I ever hear is bad things about people that aren't all that accomplished trying it and having to pay someone to fix their mistakes. I may try it sometime, but I still will be happy when its all electronic. I cant wait to tune it from my laptop........i really sound like a geek.

400exrider707
05-16-2007, 12:49 PM
The carb is the only thing I am scared to take apart all I ever hear is bad things about people that aren't all that accomplished trying it and having to pay someone to fix their mistakes. I may try it sometime, but I still will be happy when its all electronic. I cant wait to tune it from my laptop........i really sound like a geek.

You're not afraid to dive in and do it on a laptob, but you wont try carb jetting! It is really not hard to do at all. Honestly. Start simple. A main jet change is one of the easiest things to do, you dont even have to remove the carb. Loosen the two screws on the intake boots that hold the carb, twist the carb in its spot so the bottom is pointing out at you, there is a 14mm nut, pop it off and there is your main jet. Takes no more than 5 minutes to change. Try it sometime just to say you did, you dont even need to change it. Pull it out with a 6mm socket and take a look at it, clean it maybe. Pilot jet is really not much more harder. It is easier to take the carb off to do it though it can be done the same way as the main. There are 4 screws on the bottom of the bowl. Take them off, bowl slides off. You will see your main jet sticking out. there will be a little plastic piece on it, which can only really go on one way, it will slide off usually and fall into the bowl or something while disassembling so dont get nervous if that happens! THen right next to your main you will see the pilot jet sunk into a hole. You can try taking that one out too. Very simple. For the needle, you take the top off of the carb (cant remember exactly how this went, I've worked on far too many carbs and , and its been so long since I've had my 450R needle out) but the top is very easy, usually just a threaded cap. Then inside there will be an arm attached to the slide. There will be two very small screws holding it on. Take those screws out, and the arm will lift out. Down in there is your needle. It will slide out now, and you can adjust the clip up or down on the needle, then reassemble it. That is adjustment for your main/needle/ and pilot jet. Other than that you have a fuel screw which is on the outside of the carb, on the bottom, right near the intake boot on the motor side. To adjust this, fire up your machine. Turn up the idle so you have a good fast idle. Now adjust this screw with anything you can squeeze in there, small increments at a time, like 1/8th to 1/4 turn. Let it sit for a second to adjust. Now find the point at which it sounds like it is idleing the smoothest. That is your point where you want it. You should keep going til it stumbles, then go back 1/4 turn is usually the easiest. Then turn your idle back down and your golden. There is the basic carb tuning for an 04/05 450R. It can be more detaile than that, but it is in laymans terms. Any more questions you can PM if you want or we can create another thread, as this really doesn't have anything to do with this one.:D

tim colston
05-16-2007, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
You're not afraid to dive in and do it on a laptob, but you wont try carb jetting! It is really not hard to do at all. Honestly. Start simple. A main jet change is one of the easiest things to do, you dont even have to remove the carb. Loosen the two screws on the intake boots that hold the carb, twist the carb in its spot so the bottom is pointing out at you, there is a 14mm nut, pop it off and there is your main jet. Takes no more than 5 minutes to change. Try it sometime just to say you did, you dont even need to change it. Pull it out with a 6mm socket and take a look at it, clean it maybe. Pilot jet is really not much more harder. It is easier to take the carb off to do it though it can be done the same way as the main. There are 4 screws on the bottom of the bowl. Take them off, bowl slides off. You will see your main jet sticking out. there will be a little plastic piece on it, which can only really go on one way, it will slide off usually and fall into the bowl or something while disassembling so dont get nervous if that happens! THen right next to your main you will see the pilot jet sunk into a hole. You can try taking that one out too. Very simple. For the needle, you take the top off of the carb (cant remember exactly how this went, I've worked on far too many carbs and , and its been so long since I've had my 450R needle out) but the top is very easy, usually just a threaded cap. Then inside there will be an arm attached to the slide. There will be two very small screws holding it on. Take those screws out, and the arm will lift out. Down in there is your needle. It will slide out now, and you can adjust the clip up or down on the needle, then reassemble it. That is adjustment for your main/needle/ and pilot jet. Other than that you have a fuel screw which is on the outside of the carb, on the bottom, right near the intake boot on the motor side. To adjust this, fire up your machine. Turn up the idle so you have a good fast idle. Now adjust this screw with anything you can squeeze in there, small increments at a time, like 1/8th to 1/4 turn. Let it sit for a second to adjust. Now find the point at which it sounds like it is idleing the smoothest. That is your point where you want it. You should keep going til it stumbles, then go back 1/4 turn is usually the easiest. Then turn your idle back down and your golden. There is the basic carb tuning for an 04/05 450R. It can be more detaile than that, but it is in laymans terms. Any more questions you can PM if you want or we can create another thread, as this really doesn't have anything to do with this one.:D

Dude you have a lot of knowlegde on this subject and I actually am printing your post out incase i ever get stuck, but you come off as abrasive and a know it all. I will give credit where credit is due.

400exrider707
05-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by tim colston
Dude you have a lot of knowlegde on this subject and I actually am printing your post out incase i ever get stuck, but you come off as abrasive and a know it all. I will give credit where credit is due.

I apologize if I do come off that way, I try not to. When I started on this site, I really didn't know a whole lot. Between trying stuff out myself and reading stuff on here, I have learned a ton! Plus it is the internet, and gauging tone and emotion through typed words isn't very easy! Sorry if I had "wrecked" your other thread, but wheel spacers are one of my pet peeves!!!:blah:

05-16-2007, 01:17 PM
jetting is easy after you learn it...and it is not that hard to learn either...

the first time i had my 300ex jetted, it cost me $50 and the guy was about 50 miles away. he worked with my dad and was a certified service tech when he lived in florida. got it home and it stubled on the top end really bad...took it to my local dealer and paid 85 to get it right(including some bolts that were stripped out)...

after that, i learned to do it on my own...and wish i had done that in the first place...way too easy to have paid that much $$$

400exrider707
05-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
jetting is easy after you learn it...and it is not that hard to learn either...

the first time i had my 300ex jetted, it cost me $50 and the guy was about 50 miles away. he worked with my dad and was a certified service tech when he lived in florida. got it home and it stubled on the top end really bad...took it to my local dealer and paid 85 to get it right(including some bolts that were stripped out)...

after that, i learned to do it on my own...and wish i had done that in the first place...way too easy to have paid that much $$$

Exactly, I've seen more often than not when someone pays another party to "jet" their quad, it comes back running just as bad if not worse than before. Sure the guy might now how to stick a jet in where it belongs, but to get it right is a talent. All you guys questioning whether or not to do it on your own. The simple fact is it is easy to put the jets in, if you are unsure about what jets to use, well that is what this site is for, post up your mods current jetting and a description of what the quad is doing and there are numerous people who can give you recommendations!

05-16-2007, 01:40 PM
actually, my dad rode the bike before he brought it home...it ran fine...i guess there was a slight elevation change in those 50-55 miles that threw it off...the guy told me what to do to fix it, but i was working 12 hour days and knew i wouldn't have had time to get ti right before the next time i needed the bike so that is why it went to the shop...but the story is still the same...

someone does it and it isn't quite right so you spend more money for someone else to do it right when you could have done it yourself and got it right... with less money spent...the hard part is reading the plug and...not really hard, just time consuming

IMSROLL450R
05-17-2007, 09:23 PM
dang thats a lot of info thanks man I may try it now. I am printing that post as well.

400exrider707
05-18-2007, 05:56 AM
dang thats a lot of info thanks man I may try it now. I am printing that post as well.

Dont let the amount of info over-whelm you, its really simple. Plus if you get stuck or have any questions you know right where to go to ask them...:cool:

mytrx450r
05-18-2007, 08:43 AM
there is a very basic but good guide to jetting in the articles section to give a solid guide line to work from. dont forget to pull that plug and check though, dont trust the "seat of the pants feal". i do agree with 400ex that most of the time you severely over pay for things like jetting, valve clearance, and even oil changes at the dealerships, but dont forget that some people havent been riding their whole lives and are intimidated by taking a 5 or 6 thousand dollar bike apart.

400exrider707
05-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by mytrx450r
there is a very basic but good guide to jetting in the articles section to give a solid guide line to work from. dont forget to pull that plug and check though, dont trust the "seat of the pants feal". i do agree with 400ex that most of the time you severely over pay for things like jetting, valve clearance, and even oil changes at the dealerships, but dont forget that some people havent been riding their whole lives and are intimidated by taking a 5 or 6 thousand dollar bike apart.

It's understandable. I always said to myself, well if I take it apart, and just remember where everything goes back together, I'm good. Its worked most of the time. Also plug checking is quite the PITA on a 450R considering a new plug costs close to $14. Thats quite expensive for jetting. A dyno is the best way to get it tuned properly, though most dont have the time/money/means. I usually do a baseline jetting, then new plug, run it for a while and see how it goes. You can usually tell seat of the pants when its not running right or hear it. It takes time and practice, but the sooner you start, the better.

Heres a link to changing the pilot jet on a 400ex. Follow the same steps (obviously taking the plastic off is a little different, but if you cant take that off, you shouldn't be jetting)

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/pilotjet.html

The pictures show exactly where your main and pilot jet are, and they also show the little white plastic piece I was referring too, though this one looks brown from being in gas for so long.

Pred_003
05-18-2007, 02:33 PM
I am by no means an expert at jetting .... but your going to want to smack your dealership for charging you so much when you get into your carb and find out how easy it really can be.... i didn't know a thing about a carb, but i did a search on here, and have rejetted every bike i've owned since... Thanks to people like 400ex....

400exrider99
05-20-2007, 02:32 PM
could someone modify ltr450 efi to work for a honda

Batavia's450r
05-21-2007, 10:28 AM
I know a few ppl with the LTR... who race TT and there still waiting on an application to throw the EFI out and put the FCR on.. does any one know of one