PDA

View Full Version : Stuff to go with a 440 kit?

Dark_Stang
05-15-2007, 12:06 PM
My bike is burning oil like crazy now and I've decided to go with a 440 kit in the near future. I was thinking about going with a Stage 1 or Stage 2 Cam to go with it, but I'm not sure which one I want.

Can anybody offer any suggestions on the cam or what parts I should go with as well?

Also, any ideas on how strong this will be when it's finished? My dad's got a predator with a modified intake, carb, and exhaust and it's crazy fast. I'm really hoping to keep up with that.

trx440exryder
05-15-2007, 01:01 PM
i Have a 440ex with stage 1 hot cams, a full big gun pipe and jets with the choke plate taken out and aluminum airbox with a uni filter. it can hang with a brand new 450r but 450 will still take it ina stright line i would recomend getting a stage 2 cam tho then u should be able to smoke that polaris

416exriden
05-15-2007, 02:04 PM
u should get hd head studs and an bigger carb will make a huge diffrence

medicdude
05-15-2007, 09:38 PM
my mods are in my signature.
i've yet to race anything fast, but it definitely made a huge difference.

Dark_Stang
05-16-2007, 07:52 AM
Unfortunately, new carb isn't in the budget right now.

What performance gain would new head studs give me? The only reason I've ever heard of anybody replacing head studs is because they broke one already.

I think I'm going to get a stage 1 cam because most of my riding is done in the lower RPMs.

Anybody know how much it's going to cost me to have a machine shop resleeve my cylinder?

What jets are you guys running? I've read about people running anywhere from 150 to 170.

underpowered
05-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Dark_Stang
Unfortunately, new carb isn't in the budget right now.

What performance gain would new head studs give me? The only reason I've ever heard of anybody replacing head studs is because they broke one already.

I think I'm going to get a stage 1 cam because most of my riding is done in the lower RPMs.

Anybody know how much it's going to cost me to have a machine shop resleeve my cylinder?

What jets are you guys running? I've read about people running anywhere from 150 to 170.

well a 450 carb setup can be picked up for under $200 and will give a huge gain.

studs do not offer performance, but will help in reliabiltiy. they are a MUST with a440, my 11:1 426 pulled the studs so a 440 most likely will. better to do it while it is apart than to do it later after teh stock ones fail

i would get a stage 2 cam, with a 440 it should have alot of low end already, a stage two will give more power on top. and hotcams recomends you do not uses teh stage on on a larger bore than 426 anyway

shop fees vary. we get $150 to install a BB sleeve and bore it to the piston.

jetting depends on bike alot. i wold say no lower than a 170. i ran a 178 on my 426 with stock carb and mods in sig.