PDA

View Full Version : leak issue, opinions wanted

WVdude
05-15-2007, 12:05 PM
I have a 2001 raptor 660r. I bought it used from a guy here in my area. It had a cracked cylinder due to a stripped bolt in the case. I repaired the threads and purchased a new cylinder from yamaha. I reassambled it, and i had a leak from the base of the cylinder, so i disassembled and inspected it, nothing out of order. So...i reassembled it with a new gasket and what do ya know, it leaks oil still.
Just out of curiosity, when the case halves are split on these atvs, do the utilize a gasket between them or rtv? If anyone has any ideas please share them, as I am almost out.

Brad

All bolts were torqued properly per service manual, im a GM master tech and am anal about assembling things correctly

Sparky_20
05-19-2007, 04:29 PM
How did you repair those stripped threads? If you just re-tapped them then they probably arent holding strong enough. I would drill out the holes and put in heli-coils myself. If they are holding tight then I would take the cylinder back off and measure with a straight edge and a feeler guage and make sure your mating surfaces are perfectly flat. If all else fails try using a different gasket brand. You should not have to use any sealants whatsoever