PDA

View Full Version : Pics of carrier bearing and install

tim colston
05-15-2007, 08:10 AM
Well a couple of weeks ago my carrier finally let loose in Wayne National Forest. I just wanted to share some pics of the process we had to go through just to get the bearings out. My advise is to change them BEFORE they go out. Enjoy.

tim colston
05-15-2007, 08:11 AM

tim colston
05-15-2007, 08:12 AM

tim colston
05-15-2007, 08:13 AM
I would like to thank my mechanic for the 4 hrs to complete this operation

tim colston
05-15-2007, 08:14 AM

tim colston
05-15-2007, 08:15 AM
5 putting the new one in.

tim colston
05-15-2007, 08:15 AM
Back together

rooster300ex
05-15-2007, 08:16 AM
They sure can be a pain. I would have bought a double row bearing carrier off ebay. I couldn't keep stock bearings in my 300ex for nothing. I have a dual row now and its been in there for a year or more.

tim colston
05-15-2007, 08:18 AM
I got 7 years out of these bearings. I ride hard and keep everthing in tip top shape. I was fortunate not to have to replace the carrier just the bearings.

rooster300ex
05-15-2007, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by tim colston
I got 7 years out of these bearings. I ride hard and keep everthing in tip top shape. I was fortunate not to have to replace the carrier just the bearings.

Man you got your money's worth out of those bad boys.:eek2:

86 Quad R
05-17-2007, 10:17 AM
I would like to thank my mechanic for the 4 hrs to complete this operation

they sure can be a pain at times but, 4 hours? :eek2:

400exrider707
05-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Tim - Just some friendly advice. Next time give this a shot: Remove carrier, place in the oven at 250 degrees for about 10-15 minutes. Remove carrier from oven. Tap on bench top or a block of wood or something similar. Ideally, bearings should fall out. In the mean time stick the new bearings in the freezer. After you remove the old ones, drop the new ones in. It works most of the time.

BTW you have a really nice looking EX there, very well put together!:cool:

On a side note, how in the heck did you get 7 years out of carrier bearings. I take my carrier out and re-grease frequently and Im lucky to go one season on a set of double rows!

Dill
05-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Tim - Just some friendly advice. Next time give this a shot: Remove carrier, place in the oven at 250 degrees for about 10-15 minutes. Remove carrier from oven. Tap on bench top or a block of wood or something similar. Ideally, bearings should fall out. In the mean time stick the new bearings in the freezer. After you remove the old ones, drop the new ones in. It works most of the time.

On a side note, how in the heck did you get 7 years out of carrier bearings. I take my carrier out and re-grease frequently and Im lucky to go one season on a set of double rows!

+1, except I use a propane torch on the carrier near the bearing races, same concept though.

tim colston
05-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707

Well 7 years is pushing it but, it is a 2000 model. I know they weren;t changed ever. I bought it in 04' and rode the piss out of it. I honestly don;t know how they lasted so long. I don't race on anything so maybe that has something to do with it. I am going to try the above method next time. But i will be checking these bearings every 6 months.

86 Quad R
05-17-2007, 12:21 PM
I am going to try the above method next time. But i will be checking these bearings every 6 months.

either of the above mentioned methods work well. sometimes ya get one that is a royal pain but not impossible. is a good idea to make it part of the regular maintanance to check the bearings, considering how much carriers cost now.

btw does anyone know if it is possible to machine the stock carrier to accept another bearing or a twin row? :confused:

400exrider707
05-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
either of the above mentioned methods work well. sometimes ya get one that is a royal pain but not impossible. is a good idea to make it part of the regular maintanance to check the bearings, considering how much carriers cost now.

btw does anyone know if it is possible to machine the stock carrier to accept another bearing or a twin row? :confused:

I dont think you can, and if you could the wall would be very thin on the inide, because the carrier is not the same O.D. all the way across the part. Not to mention you would have to cut down the spacer tube on the inside. The stock spacer tube is hardened as well, so you would need something pretty decent to cut through it with. This is why OEM honda carriers are recommended by a lot of big companies, OEM and Baldwin are the only two Im aware of that use hardened spacers.

I picked up my dual row brand new on ebay for $135 shipped. Thats a steal considering how much bearings are!