PDA

View Full Version : need help by this weekend!! Look Please

450Rfutureracer
05-14-2007, 07:15 PM
i went to take off my front plastic to install my new head light and the bolt that holds the plastic to the gas tank is stuck and i have no idea how to get it out. If I start to pull on the plastic it starts to break and if I get the brass part out wil the tank be ruined. Please reply back so I can ride this weekend! I tryed posting a picture

tltcracing
05-14-2007, 08:40 PM
so u actualy cant turn the bolt? or does the brass peace spin with it?

TRX450RACER174
05-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by tltcracing
so u actualy cant turn the bolt? or does the brass peace spin with it?

If the brass piece is spinning there is nothing you can do about it, on the other hand if it is not you can cut the head off with a dremel and then drill a small hole in the center of the stuck bolt and use a ez out to get the rest out of the tank piece, hope this helps good luck i just did this to a friends quad don't over tighten those bolts.

slick7108514
05-15-2007, 01:36 AM
i had the same exact problem when i went to install my hrc kit. i just pulled the plaster over the bolt. the plastic now fits over the bolt, but its not a big deal as the plastic did not break. i just kind of crammed the plastic underneath the head of the bolt when i put it back on.

Dupontster
05-15-2007, 05:15 AM
I had the same problem....I put an impact wrench on the bolt and got it spinning until the plastic tank got warm enough to pull the brass piece and bolt out....Once you get it out you can put the brass piece in a vice and take the bolt out....You may need some penetrating oil and spray the bolt....Now take a box cutter or drywall type knife and trim the hole in the tank so you can put the brass piece back in.....Don't go too deep because you'll get in the tank...Fit it and take it out and clean the hole....Get some JB Weld and mix it up and put some in the hole....Now push the brass piece down in to where it is level with the top of the tank....Don't let the JB get in bolt hole....I don't think it will but be careful not to get any in the hole....Let it set up for probably 24 hrs and file any excess off...Put a little grease on the bolt and it shouldn't get stuck again....Hope this helps..

400exrider707
05-15-2007, 06:04 AM
Why do you even need to take that off to install a headlight? I have had mine stuck like that for over a year and have found no need to fix it, other than it will save me the time it takes to take a few extra bolts out.

450Rfutureracer
05-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Dupontster
I had the same problem....I put an impact wrench on the bolt and got it spinning until the plastic tank got warm enough to pull the brass piece and bolt out....Once you get it out you can put the brass piece in a vice and take the bolt out....You may need some penetrating oil and spray the bolt....Now take a box cutter or drywall type knife and trim the hole in the tank so you can put the brass piece back in.....Don't go too deep because you'll get in the tank...Fit it and take it out and clean the hole....Get some JB Weld and mix it up and put some in the hole....Now push the brass piece down in to where it is level with the top of the tank....Don't let the JB get in bolt hole....I don't think it will but be careful not to get any in the hole....Let it set up for probably 24 hrs and file any excess off...Put a little grease on the bolt and it shouldn't get stuck again....Hope this helps..

Thanks a lot its working out great

ss440ex
05-16-2007, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dupontster
I had the same problem....I put an impact wrench on the bolt and got it spinning until the plastic tank got warm enough to pull the brass piece and bolt out....Once you get it out you can put the brass piece in a vice and take the bolt out....You may need some penetrating oil and spray the bolt....Now take a box cutter or drywall type knife and trim the hole in the tank so you can put the brass piece back in.....Don't go too deep because you'll get in the tank...Fit it and take it out and clean the hole....Get some JB Weld and mix it up and put some in the hole....Now push the brass piece down in to where it is level with the top of the tank....Don't let the JB get in bolt hole....I don't think it will but be careful not to get any in the hole....Let it set up for probably 24 hrs and file any excess off...Put a little grease on the bolt and it shouldn't get stuck again....Hope this helps.. [/Q

Ditto...he`s got the fix.