PDA

View Full Version : Warrior valve adjustment

caninemonty
05-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Was wondering if it is difficult to adjust the valves in a 97 Warrior. Any help with how to go about this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

54warrior
05-15-2007, 05:29 AM
Remove the front plastics and gas tank.

Remove the two "valve" covers.

Remove spark plug.

Remove the Left Side Outer Cover to reveal the stud (19mm?) so that you can turn the engine over.

Remove the small black plastic plug on the left side cover using a large flat blade screwdriver.

You need it to be at Top Dead Center (TDC).

Begin to crank the engine over via the left side stud. Go slow and align the mark on the cover (where the black plug was) with the line on the flywheel (down inside the hole. There is a "T" marked on the flywheel that you can see when cranking it over slowly.

Once you have the "T" and marking aligned, you should be at TDC.

At this point, the exhaust and intake valves should both be completely closed. If you know what the spec is for the intake/exhaust (both sides are different) you can use a feeler gauge to check them.

If they are off, you need to loosen the tappet adjuster locknut (10mm?) and use a small crescent wrench to adjust the tappet whichever way you need. Keep in mind that it only needs a small adjustment probably. You might also want to remember that when you tighten down the locknut, it will also have a tendency to crank the tappet down farther to-causing your adjustment to be off. When you tighten the nut, you want to also keep a wrench on the tappet itself so as not to adjust it farther as you tighten.

Repeat for the other side. It's always good to crank it over a couple times I feel, just make sure its correct and then recheck it.

Now all you have to do is reinstall everything!

caninemonty
05-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the quick response and all the information. I am going to try to do it this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes.