PDA

View Full Version : axle removal..

xtullyx16
05-14-2007, 02:33 PM
im trying to remove my axle on 400ex and im done to the rotor i have taken skid plat,caliper, tire, everything. now how do i get my rotor out to slide out my axle to get to my bearings??? is there a break/carrier stay there keeping it on?? i cant see anything there... sorry about the wrong forum but i have this posted in 3 places...

derekhonda
05-14-2007, 02:47 PM
Yep, that big nut on the outside of the rotor, crank that sucker inward(NOT OUTWARD, turn it in towards the swingarm), and there will be a big "C" pin (circlip) Yank that sucker out and it will all slide outward. Remove the hub and there you go.

xtullyx16
05-14-2007, 02:48 PM
i got the circlip and big nut off and small one thats all off now its just my rotor and im yanking on it and it wont budge...!!!

derekhonda
05-14-2007, 02:52 PM
hose her down in wd 40, grab a big hammer and put the hub back on the right side with the nut. Go to town try hammering it through to bust it off. Thats all i got for you bud.

xtullyx16
05-14-2007, 02:54 PM
why would i want to put the hub back on ??

derekhonda
05-14-2007, 02:57 PM
so you have a contact point for the hammer. Im telling you to hammer the axle from the rotor side towards the sprocket side. The carrier will act like a brace for the rotor. So when you pound it, if the axle moves your rotor will slowly work its way off.

derekhonda
05-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Tell me you also loosened up the two allen head bolts on the swingarm sandwiching the carrier right?

xtullyx16
05-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
Tell me you also loosened up the two allen head bolts on the swingarm sandwiching the carrier right?

well i just loosed the 4 bolt that are screwed in behind the rotor and sprocket ... now should i pound the axle?

xtullyx16
05-14-2007, 03:29 PM
alright did what u said about banging on the axle and it aint working

400exrider707
05-15-2007, 05:59 AM
Loosening the bolts on the swinger only loosens the carrier up, and should have no effect on getting the axle out. If your rotor hub is stuck on the axle, the only thing you can really do is exactly what he said. I would put a piece of wood on the end of the axle and hammer away. You might want to try putting a little heat on it to loosen it up. Did you remove the big C clip that holds the brake stay on? Doesn't sound like you did, but you said you took everything off. Check that out first.

54warrior
05-15-2007, 06:29 AM
I once had an axle that was siezed onto the axle bearings. It had to be pressed out by the local shop. You may have to remove the axle/carrier as one unit and take it somewhere to have it done. I beat on mine with an 18# sledge till I was blue in the face with no luck.