PDA

View Full Version : OKO carb mod procedure

drr wizard
05-14-2007, 07:54 AM
OK guys I am addressing this because I have had a couple of PM's reguarding the issue. when making mods to the carb the main jet mounting post should be removed, this is the cast body which holds the main and the pilot it is held in place by two phillips head screws . these screws are easy to strip and are held in with red loctite so to simplify the process apply a little heat to the carb body at the location of screw threads this will help loosen loctite then use a small hand impact driver to remove screws. without removing the post you will not be able to clean out shavings very well , and it will be hard to tell the depth of your drilling. with the post off it is a simple job , CLEAN ,CLEAN replace post using red loctite. ONE SMALL SHAVING CAN REAK HAVIC ON YOUR TUNING!
Good luck guys ,
drr wizard

riding4fun
05-14-2007, 08:08 AM
DRR Wizard,

Hey thanks, I'm just glad I'm not the only one having a problem.
I thought I cleaned it out good but after reading this, I may not have.

kenjolly
05-14-2007, 10:47 AM
DRR wizard you are going to make mechanics out of us weather we like it or not arent you.

drr wizard
05-14-2007, 11:08 AM
hope I can save some headaches for some of you guys, maybe save you some money for you do it your selfers!
hope it helps
drr wizard

riding4fun
05-14-2007, 05:51 PM
OK, I took the post off. Now I drilled the .098 hole and it is slightly off centered. Is this going to be a problem?

Too much caffeine today.

You weren't kidding about it being hard to get the screws off. Stripped one so I have to make a pit stop at the hardware store tomorrow.

drr wizard
05-15-2007, 06:10 AM
I dont think it will hurt if it is off center slightly , the .098 hole right. The .o29 hole will have to be right on or it will not flow well.
Did you find some debris when you got the post off?

drr wizard

riding4fun
05-15-2007, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by drr wizard
I dont think it will hurt if it is off center slightly , the .098 hole right. The .o29 hole will have to be right on or it will not flow well.
Did you find some debris when you got the post off?

drr wizard

Yes, the .098 hole. The other one is fine. Yes there was debris in there. Of coarse I stripped one of the screws so I have to get more today. Those suckers were tight. Live and learn.

Thanks for the help.

forgiven
05-15-2007, 08:08 AM
I can't wait to hear how it runs when you get that screw.

riding4fun
05-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Does anybody know the size of the screws that hold the post in place. I can't seem to get an exact match.

riding4fun
05-15-2007, 05:55 PM
If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any.

I found the right size thread but it was a little too long. So I cut off the extra portion or so I thought. It looked to be the same length. I put the post back in and tightened with loc-tite. Then I see the lock-tite coming from the exterior. The screw was slightly longer than the other one and cracked the carb. Jeez, another lesson learned.

So is there any fix for this or do I have to buy a new carb?

I need a break.

bulldogfallon
05-17-2007, 06:42 PM
I have found that a 112MJ and 40 pilot is working well for us in FL.

riding4fun
05-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by bulldogfallon

Thats a good idea. Lets all post what we are using. Maybe add elevation.
I can't post mine yet because I can't find the .029 drill bit to do the mod. Big ol Las Vegas but nobody has that bit.

O well thanks for the update.

ecmini1
05-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by bulldogfallon

This is the best set up in FLA. Some guys tend to jet fat. The machine seams to run good but its truly not.

kenjolly
05-17-2007, 08:12 PM
is that for the 50,70 or 90

bulldogfallon
05-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by riding4fun
Thats a good idea. Lets all post what we are using. Maybe add elevation.
I can't post mine yet because I can't find the .029 drill bit to do the mod. Big ol Las Vegas but nobody has that bit.

O well thanks for the update.

Look for it at a hobby shop

bulldogfallon
05-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by kenjolly
is that for the 50,70 or 90

Our 50cc....the 70cc is still not locked in yet.....

Probably a 115-117MJ.....I think the needle jet may need to be moved around...not sure...

I'll post it when I figure it out

drr wizard
05-18-2007, 03:39 PM
another good source for the small drills are welding supply stores they sell them to clean welder tips, about 12$ for a kit of bits with the driver .
drr wizard

QuadJunkies
05-19-2007, 06:45 PM
We got a defective Carb w/ our mini.So we now run a Keihn.
We were told that the OKO carb 1 in 4 are probably defective and that its apparently being addressed.

Is this why everyone is doing the mod?