PDA

View Full Version : how old were u when u moved out?

gncc025
05-13-2007, 09:39 PM
i have just recently graduated college and have a job lined up to go to work.i just turned 20 last month.now i kinda want to get my own place but its gonna be hard i know.

so i was just wondering want some of u done at my age or what some of u would do.

any opinions would be appreciated.

Quad18star
05-13-2007, 09:46 PM
I think I was 21 when I moved out with my girlfriend . We rented an appartment , and when my parents decided they were going to move and live at our cottage , my girlfriend and I decided to rent the house off of them. So much better than an appartment , plus it's got a garage . :D

My best advice , find an appartment that has everything included ( heat , hydro, water) , that way there you won't have to worry. Also find something that will suit your needs ... if you're all alone , usually a bachelor appartment will do. Before moving into something , always make sure you have atleast 3 months rent saved up plus first and last , just in case something happens ( unexpected injury , job layoff ) . ALWAYS look over the appartment really good .... my girlfriend lived in an appartment before I moved in with her that had mould show up and the landlords wouldn't do anything about it . Sign a contract if you feel it necessary ... it'll protect you from being thrown out without notice.

Good luck and I hope all goes well. Once you're out on your own , you'll never want to live with your parents again . LOL

crazedape
05-13-2007, 10:18 PM
I bought my first house at 20 and my girlfriend lived with me. Things didn't work out and then I had some medical issues so I moved back home and rent my house out for some extra cash. I love living at home with the rents. We have a 5500 sq ft house and we hardly ever see each other. Plus there are no real rules so it is like living on my own except there is always food in the fridge. BTW I am 23 now and I am about to purchase a small lake house to go to on weekends and have parties and friends over. Living at home puts more money in your pocket that is for sure.

mineralgrey01gt
05-13-2007, 10:44 PM
im moving out next monday, im 21.

pats2007450er
05-13-2007, 11:14 PM
i rent one of my mom's house's.i moved out at 19 and i love it.the good thing about renting from my mom is i can skip rent every once a while and buy something extra for my 450.:p :D

Doak450r
05-13-2007, 11:55 PM
im 20 and i will be buying a house sometime this summer hopefully

iraq66
05-13-2007, 11:59 PM
i moved out when i was 19..i packed eveything up one day and tossed it in my truck and drove to fl i lived in my truck for a few weeks and got a job and found a place to live and eveything went up hill from there but...now im in iraq hahaah

AZblaster44
05-14-2007, 01:02 AM
I'm 20, still live at home. Parents have told me they dont want me to leave untill I'm good and ready or out of college... So I'm going to take advantage of that and start saving more of my money so i can put a big chunk down on a house I want and not have to rent or buy something just because its cheap

yamaha250f
05-14-2007, 05:42 AM
I was 20 and I moved out to go to school well after a year of that I moved right back in and I dont think I'm ever gonna leave again. Now i just have to get my g/f in with me and the way i figure it then my parents will move out.

450raider
05-14-2007, 09:42 AM
well im 21 and still live at home, but i live in a small middle of nowhere town where the only way to get ahead is kiss a** to the county officials or move into the projects and have 6 kids at $600 a month each or do drugs, niether of which set well with me so im seriously thinking of running for mayor in 08. ive had the money to leave before but lakehouses cost more then they should, people here think theyre worth gold so i blew it on quads :D.

gncc025
05-14-2007, 11:14 AM
thanks for all these replies. i appreciate it.
its helping me make one IMPORTANT decision.

RidinRed420
05-14-2007, 12:06 PM
I was 17. I moved in with my boyfriend and his parents. We both we going to school in Boston, so we decided to get an apartment- in stead of us both getting dorms or communting. We have been living in an apartment for 3 1/2 years now. In January our lease is up and we have a 25% down payment ready to buy land.

My suggestion: Live at home as long as you possibly can. Its a free ride... Once you get out in the real world you will realize how expensive it really is. I don't mean live there till you're 30, but dont rush out.. Cause once you're out, its really hard to go back - we had to do it for a month and it was hell.

Also, I think renting apartments is rediculous. The only reason I do it is because there is no way in hell I would ever want to live in Boston for any longer than I have to. But when you rent you are basically paying your landlords mortage.. or if thats paid off, you are lining his pockets.. And what do you have at the end of your year lease??? Nothing. So my best advice would be save up your money till you have at least 20% to buy a house. That way at least you will have something when all is said and done. Even if you don't have 20%, you're better off buying than renting. Unless you have plans to move within the next few years.

If you really feel the need to get a place, right away.. find a roommate, to split the costs. Make sure you can get along with them.. you're best friend might not be the best choice. I have seen way too many people be the best of friends, but once they lived together they hated each other. Choose someone who lives similarly to you: ie, if you are a clean freaky - dont get a sloppy roommate.. if you dont care what the place looks like - dont get a neat roommate... it will never work out. Make sure you get everything in writing and always pay bills by check. Basically don't be stupid and cover your ***, cause even if you are good friends - living together is a whole new ball park.

whiteboycustom
05-14-2007, 02:23 PM
at 18 i joined the army left for 5 years, moved back home till i moved in with a buddy and his ol lady, they split so i said im not getting stuck with her bills so im outta here, moved back home and been there ever since, so what im 26 hahaha, i work 60+ hours a week so im never there but at night to sleep, they understand its hard to be single and try to buy a house(rent houses are way over priced and the cheap ones have about the same protection as a card board box), ive grown out of all the party mode so thats not a problem, so yea i cant complain, 2 4wheelers,dirtbike,83 mustang, and my truck i have enough to keep me occupied

<DRS>GPF
05-14-2007, 05:28 PM
i was out of home and in the army at 17..
went through about 2yrs of training altogether, then out into my own place off post..

the closest i came to moving back home, was a rental less than 1 block away from my parents about a decade later..

mephyst
05-14-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm 18, turning 19 in a month. I am going to college full time and once summer starts will be working full time. My parents always tell me if I move out I can't come back. My house is nice, and I can basically do anything I want here, so why move out? I like how someone commented earlier... there's always a full fridge! And that is so true... I'll probably move out around the time I graduate... 22-23.

JJs450r
05-14-2007, 05:58 PM
im 20 and moved out about 3 months ago kinda wish i woulda waited a lil more saves alot more money nad food was always free and good lol but ya it gets ya out from under your mom and dads left and right arm just make sure stay on top of bills and what not but life on your own is good sometimes but bad others

trick450r
05-14-2007, 08:31 PM
im 17, my sister is at college and my mom passed away earlier in the year...my father says as long as im moving forward in my education or my life and im not just slacking and mooching i always have a home here. So i think i might just take him up on it, when i graduate i will prolly buy a house though, that last thing i need is to get stuck in some rental unit.

gncc025
05-14-2007, 08:45 PM
sorry about your mom man.
:( thats gotta suck.

but yeah im kinda thinking now that i might try and stick it out here at home at least a year longer and save my money. its just too exspensive to live on your own now a days. plus i really dont have a good reason to move out other than just wanting to really bad.

by the way u all have some pretty intresting stories to tell, i think

Mxjunkie
05-15-2007, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by trick450r
im 17, my sister is at college and my mom passed away earlier in the year...my father says as long as im moving forward in my education or my life and im not just slacking and mooching i always have a home here. So i think i might just take him up on it, when i graduate i will prolly buy a house though, that last thing i need is to get stuck in some rental unit.

Sorry to hear that man! I haven't been able to get ahold of you lately, hit me up on aim sometime so we can catch up on somethings!

My brothers & sister's all moved out when they were 18-19 and it seem's all they do is come to the house and ask for money all the time to pay their bills. :blah: One thing I did learn from my older brother is I would never have a girl friend and get a place togather, if chit goes sour your on the street because you now damn well she wont give it up or her parents..

RidinRed420
05-15-2007, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by gncc025
sorry about your mom man.
:( thats gotta suck.

but yeah im kinda thinking now that i might try and stick it out here at home at least a year longer and save my money. its just too exspensive to live on your own now a days. plus i really dont have a good reason to move out other than just wanting to really bad.

by the way u all have some pretty intresting stories to tell, i think

I think thats prolly a good idea. I don't know about where you live, but I can tell you that my rent in Boston is 1200, its a 2 bedrooom... and it is nothing to write home about, its the cheapest we could find. Then cable and internet is 115, and electric is 65- 75. Our total bills are about 1400 a month.

Then you have to figure in food (and other groceries toilet paper, soap, light bulbs, shampoo, paper towels, ziplocks, tin foil, etc it all adds up) fuel for your vehicle, insurance, cell phone bill.. and I'm sure I'm forgetting something... Once you add up all that you don't have much money for entertainment or savings.

That isn't even the worst part though... The worst part if when you first move out. Most likely you have a bedroom full of stuff, but thats about it. You will need couches or soemthing to sit on. End tables or coffee table, living room tv, everything for the kitchen from the table and chairs to silverware, to pots and pans, to plates and bowls, microwave, toaster, blender, spatuals, big spoons, mixing bowls etc. Cleaning supplies, curtains, towels, medicine, etc.

Also to move into an apartment the landlord will most likely want first and last months rent.. and alot want a security deposit which is equal to 1 months rent. and some realtors charge a finders fee which ranges from 1/2 - full months rent.

I think it would def. be in your best interest to stay at home a while longer. But if you do decide to go, I wish you luck and make sure you have plenty of money cause you'll need it.