PDA

View Full Version : Tired of It

troyleepred719
05-13-2007, 09:30 PM
A few years back I was in a car accident, I was thrown from the car down into a valley breaking my neck and back. i was bed ridden for a long time, and gained alot of weight. Im a big boy by nature, always have been. I like to think of myself as a little bigger than most, but not huge. I like to ride a lot , and i am a firefighter. I want to lose this weight, but no one will help me on this. I want to know if anyone out there has any suggestions on how to do this. i have a very bad back, and cant run , but i like to bike, but the back limits it. I need to know like, what to eat , how often how much, anything that could help me. Any help is very appreciated.

Fred55
05-13-2007, 11:11 PM
The biggest thing that will help is working out. If you work out it will obviously help you burn calories but will also help raise your matabolism. Mix it up during the week, do some cardio like running/biking or even hard riding but also remember you do strength training as well. for meals make sure you eat breakfast! get something in your stomach to start the day and it will get your body going and matabolism up. instead of 2-3 big meals a day each 4-5 small ones. also drink lots of water, being thirsty can easily be mistaken for being hungry!

honduh440
05-13-2007, 11:57 PM
big thing with working out and stuff is to watch your heart rate. I do a lot of biking on a stationary bike and i can go for 30 minute straight sweating my balls off witha heart rate of 180 and i will gain weight.... but then do it at 155 and lose weight.... do a search and find the target heart rate you need

on the food diet part..... honestly its extremly hard to do it perfect so dont just jump in and start eating lettuce for every meal or u will give up in no time. keep an eye on things that are really easy to eliminate. like when u eat a burger leave off the cheese or leave out the sugar when u make tea. that stuff goes along way. try to eat fruit its good and somewhat filling. i eat cereal in the morning then for lunch 2 apples 1 banana and a turkey sandwich on wheat bread with nothing on it then a regular dinner

nevadanotch
05-14-2007, 12:00 AM
You can try Atkins or South Beach Diet to scrub weight off fast. I had a heart attack about 10 years ago, gained a bunch of weight because of it and my cardiologist put me on the Atkins Diet. I lost 18 pounds! However this is only a temporary weight loss fix. Like fred55 said, you need to change your eating habits. Try 4 or 5 small meals and exercise as often as possible. The water thing works too. Sometimes when you feel hungry it is your body telling you you need to drink something. Take a long brisk walk or ride your quad if you can't run! You will be amazed how much better your back will start to feel once the weight starts coming off!

yamaha250f
05-14-2007, 05:50 AM
Well I run alot but as you had stated you cant because of your back. So what my father did to help burn the pounds off is weight watchers I know it sounds gay but the points system along with walking helped my father lose 35lbs and lower his blood pressure and colesterol

Outlaw 50
05-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Screw the exercise routines...........exercise makes you hungry......period!

Reduce the intake of calories each day, eat small portions at 4-5 intervals of the day. Get enough rest every night.

The Atkins Diet is a good way to lose the extra weight, make sure you follow ALL the proper instructions on the diet.

http://www.atkins.com/

After you get to your goal weight do not go back to your old eating habits.

This diet was the way I lost 45lbs after I quit driving trucks over the road. Buy the books and read them, they are invaluable as information sources.

http://www.atkins.com/products/books

P.S..........NO ADULT BEVERAGES. Alcohol will stimulate your body to produce insulin and increase your appetite. It also will add calories.

Fred55
05-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Outlaw 50
Screw the exercise routines...........exercise makes you hungry......period!

Wow you couldnt be more wrong. Exercise makes you burn more calories and when you eat, you do replace the carolies you burn, but replace them with good food! Working out and then eating right to replace the calories will help your body lean out and become more efficient at using calories.

05-14-2007, 11:34 AM
the bestt thing you can do is work out and eat right. Eat less food but eat quality food. Does swimming hurt your back? swimming is one of the best work outs there is

Old Dirtbiker
05-14-2007, 12:15 PM
Don't forget the fast food,

Don't know if fast food has been on your diet or not but most meals offered are pure poison.

Do the salad w/little dressing,
Diet beverages,

Look at the Atkins thing,
Meats with no bread,
slabs of cheese,
boiled eggs, deviled eggs, poaced eggs, eggs with eggs
cheese w/eggs
veggies w/cheese melted on them(but no taters)
Protein Protein Protein

The new diet isnt required to taste bland, just have to change eating habits.
Exercise what you can, Push mower instead of a rider,
Walk around the block when you can,

A calorie burnt is just that, losing weight ain't easy or fast,
its like a journey, just starts with that first step.
Good Luck & wear your seatbelt.

TITAN450R
05-14-2007, 12:17 PM
i agree with outlaw 2 years ago i weighed 260 lbs i am only 5ft 10in lost 50lbs on the atkins diet in 6 mos and have kept it off by watching what i eat. my biggest problem with weight eas regular sodas and eating fast food everyday cut both of those out and have managed to stay in 200-210 lb range for two years with atkins it is easy too get rid of the weight the hard part is not going back to old habits.........

Outlaw 50
05-15-2007, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by Fred55
Wow you couldn't be more wrong. Exercise makes you burn more calories and when you eat, you do replace the carolies you burn, but replace them with good food! Working out and then eating right to replace the calories will help your body lean out and become more efficient at using calories.

What, you are gonna tell me that exercise doesn't make you hungry? It sure does make me hungry!

I'm in no way trying to say that exercise is bad for you. It is just a fact that it makes you hungry. Most people who are overweight have very little willpower and after exercising WILL want to eat.

Why cause your self the added anguish.

I can sit on the couch and watch Nascar for 4 hrs and not eat anything but if I spend 4 hrs riding my quad I'm looking to eat everything in site!

As far as burning calories with exercise do this, get on a treadmill that has a calorie counter and walk for ten minutes. Check the calories burned in that time and compare that to the amount of calories you eat in a day.

It seems like a futile effort to me. I would have to walk the treadmill for about 4 hrs to burn enough calories to offset what I normally eat. It is easier to just reduce the caloric intake so that your body will burn the fat it has stored to maintain your energy.

I lost 45lbs without exercising on the Atkins diet. It works period.

The guy who posted the thread said he has a back injury which limits his ability to exercise. With the Atkins diet he can lose the weight and not aggravate the injury.

Fred55
05-15-2007, 10:23 AM
yeah it will take a long time but if it were easy everybody would do it. Just try to exercise and take in less calories than you expend, but if you try to look at the amount saved each day , it doesnt look good. instead look at how many calories are being saved over a week and it will start to add up. exercising and then eating just plain healthy...no stupid or expensive diets, and you start to see and feel a huge difference. eat salads and soups when you can...they are filled mostly with water and will make you full with less calories, but you must remember you still need carbohydrates and protien in your diet to support your bodily functions. it will take time but in the end you will thank yourself for doing it. just set small goals so you can get to your ultimate one. good luck!

troyleepred719
05-15-2007, 12:36 PM
i started my diet this morning. I ate breakfast before work at 730, had a bagel with lowfat cream cheese, and then ate at 12, had a turkey sandwich with just turkey and bread, and some vitamin water, i got home, and im going to take bike for a ride, down the road about 3 miles, and then do some riding, and then tonight, im going to do some free weights, what it the best things to eat, for someone who likes meat. Am i doing this correctly, or am i eating too much. My brother recommended this stacker 3 stuff, he lost 23 lbs on it, is this a good ida?

quad2xtreme
05-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Calorie King (http://www.calorieking.com/)

Click the link. Buy the software. The trick to losing weight is calories in and calories out. You really don't want to lose more than 1 lb per week...of course it will happen but that shouldn't be your target. Basically using this software, you can determine what you need in calories to sustain your weight. You then need to deduct 500 calories per day. 500 calories per day times 7 days = 3,500 calories = 1 lb of a loss a week. It also keeps you metabolism near the peak. Starting losing too fast and your metabolism will slow down.

You won't starve using this technique and you will in fact start building healthy eating patterns. You will learn how bad certain foods are for you.

The Richard Simmons card method is very similar. It cuts your calories and makes sure your eating from each of the major food groups.

Losing weight is about calories only. You can lose weight without exercising if you want.

/Jon

motoxgirl419
05-15-2007, 07:02 PM
The best thing that will help you control how much you are eatting is by eatting off of a smaller plate. Go and buy a kids plate and see how much you should be eatting.
Weight Watchers really does help. and exercising also is the best way to feel better and do better as you obtain your weight lose goals.
Eat more fiber to feel full longer, and def. drink lots of water. Even drinking water in place of diet soda has showed a more significant drop in weight.
Eat lots of fruit and veggies instead of junk food and you should do just fine.
:D

Fred55
05-15-2007, 08:09 PM
If you are a meat eater, try to stick to white meats, but make sure it is grilled....grilled chicken is a lot healthier than fried!

bulkdriverlp
05-15-2007, 08:56 PM
i did the atkins couple years ago, lost 78lbs in 9months. had a accident of my own, had to go off to recover never went back on. for long term weight loss you could go to your local hospital and ask the nutritionist, they usually have plans to help you out. i have heard of eating 5 small meals is better.

atvRiDa400ex
05-15-2007, 09:00 PM
all i can say is treadmill(sp). being big runs in my family and i told myself that im doing to work out every day....! Self confidence is a big key

sideways
05-15-2007, 09:12 PM
the best advice anyone can give you about eating food is a dietician/nutritionist. this is their job to get people on healthy diests that are made to suit each individual. my sister is a dietician and part of a program working to help overweight children in deleware.

any hospital has a dietician/nutritionist on staff and usually there are programs in place to help overweight citizens. many of these programs are free (goverment funded) and only mean you meet with the dietician/nutritionist once a week to further your diet and eating habits. working with them is easy and it helps having someone that cares about your weight and the problems it causes, even in everday life.

sideways
05-15-2007, 09:13 PM
the best advice anyone can give you about eating food is a dietician/nutritionist. this is their job to get people on healthy diests that are made to suit each individual. my sister is a dietician and part of a program working to help overweight children in deleware.

any hospital has a dietician/nutritionist on staff and usually there are programs in place to help overweight citizens. many of these programs are free (goverment funded) and only mean you meet with the dietician/nutritionist once a week to further your diet and eating habits. working with them is easy and it helps having someone that cares about your weight and the problems it causes, even in everday life.

m.h.s.c.#527
05-15-2007, 09:49 PM
go play tennis thats what me and my friends do after school everyday and its not even for school and adults come too sumtimes u r excersizing but ur hitting the ball and not concentrating on excersizing ur concentrating on the game