PDA

View Full Version : what to do first

chici2001400ex
05-13-2007, 07:35 PM
just bought a 2001 400ex with a 426 motor kit,11:1 compression,tc race cam,uni air filter,dg front bumper,gusseted frame,lonestar chrome steering stem,steering stabilizer,renthal bars,ac nerfs,yoshi full exhaust,holeshots(2 sets),douglas beadlock rims(2 sets)elka shocks, +1 swing arm(???),+2 a-arms,+2 lonestar axle. extra parts: stock shocks clutch lever,cable,frame,plastic,exhaust,headlights,and lrd headpipe. paid $2000.00. had a 1999 400ex when i was in high school, then sold it (it was stock) to buy a foreman to hunt with,so all this stuff is new to me.i know the bike is worth what i paid but what about all the xtra stuff, the guy used to mx it,so i dont know what half this stuff is/means.hopefully someone can explain it to me.thanx in advance

JimmyHoffa
05-13-2007, 08:40 PM
welcome! The 426 is Wiseco's medium-bore piston. The cylinder is bored larger, and the compression ratio increase will give you more horsepower. 11:1 is rather mild, and I'd feel safe on mid/premium grade pump gas. A cam adjusts when and how far your valves open, and (hopefully) will increase performance. UNI air filers are the best. The bumper is a bumper. it bumps. The frame has support welded on at commom stress points to prevent crackage or twistage. Steering stabilizers help take steering shocks, and smooth out steering action. Yoshi stuff is good. If you look down at your pipe, you'll say to yourself, "wow. that is shiny and impressively crafted." That's the Yoshimura system. +1 swing arm is 1 inch longer than stock, and usually will give cleaner launches and keep the front end down. The front end is also 4" wider than stock due to the +2 a-arms. The lonestar axle is probably wider too. By the way. Depending on the condition, you pretty much stole that bike.

chici2001400ex
05-14-2007, 08:11 PM
i work with the guy's dad and supposedly he fell off/flipped off?? of it during a race and it scared him. i will post some pics as soon as i get a chance,working out of town until this wkend. i think it is in pretty good mechanical shape, when i looked at it i felt and the motor was cold so i rapped on it right when it fired and when it didn't smoke i gave him the cash. the thing is pretty damn fast from what i can remember from my first one it's ALOT faster. i have only rode it about 10 minutes(hard to find time) since i got it and it seems to get kinda warm.oil looks good,fins on cooler are clean and from what i read on here they just do that. i know it was professionally built by tim moore at All Pro Cycle in baker,la. he also sponsered the guy. can't wait to go through it and check everything, just don't know where to start. need a rear sprocket(2 teeth gone) and i guess i should check the bearings?ect.? thanks for the response and i welcome any tips or suggestions.:ermm:

JimmyHoffa
05-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Ya. Missing teeth is intense. I've never actually seen anything that bad before. Is the rear sprocket aluminum?

I've never ridden a bike anywhere near it's potential until I've personally gone through it part for part. This incudes the TWO NEW BIKES I've owned. (The factory doesn't grease too well.) I've just finished my 400ex, now I'm going over a 1983 yz 125. I never ride anything until I touch all the bolts. I'd start by tearing at least the frame apart. (everything but the engine) Then, check compression and such to make sure the engine is acceptable.