PDA

View Full Version : No spark on decel CDI? Predator 90

cerino2000
05-13-2007, 12:04 PM
I just bought a predator 90 for my son. It is a 2006. I had a choice between a red one and a white one. I chose the white one because the red one looked like it had an oil leak. They did run slightly different but seemed fine.

Think what it is like if you are going down the road, in gear, and you hit the kill switch on the bike. Then, just before you stop, you turn the kill switch back to the run position. Just imagine that scenario for a minute and read on.

I now know after many hours of investigation why the red and white bikes seemed to run differently. The white one when de-accelerating either while riding or just revving it up loses it's spark until it gets in the lower RPM's where it recovers (just like the scenario described above). I guess it still runs fine from an operational stand point but it is driving me nuts because I KNOW it is not supposed to do this. Watching my son ride it, when he lets off while approaching the corners, you hear it totally dead until he gets back into the gas.

The way I figured it out was I put my timing light on it and it confirmed that it's not firing when I figured it wasn't. Just for comparisons sake, I put it on his LT80 and it fires at all times as it is supposed to. All of this after I originally suspected the carb and went through it to make sure everything was operating properly, which it is.

I have a vid (linked below) showing the effect and with the timing light on as well. Granted the ignition is fast and sometimes faster than the camera but you can clearly see where it is not getting fire on the way down the RPM scale. You can hear the idle bouncing.

Wouldn't be a big deal if I knew that it wasn't supposed to be doing this.

I have now discovered that the bike has an extended warranty from Polaris. Bonus!..so I thought. I took the vid linked below to the polaris dealer and got the big blow off "Oh...that's normal" so they don't want to fix it is what he is saying. If he thinks that is normal then he may not need to be a ATV mechanic. It is NOT normal, I saw what normal is in the red one that I chose not to pick and besides that, I know better. I have been playing with these things for a long time.

So, all of this said, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this resolved? How can i test the coil? How can I test the CDI unit? Stator maybe?

Thanks!

Here's the vid. The bouncing at idle drives me nuts. I know initially looking at it you may think this is normal two stroke operation but believe me you, after you own it for a short period, and then you know it is not firing properly, you realize this is not normal.

Right Click and Save Target As (http://www.cerinosolutions.com/vids/predatorissue.wmv)

cerino2000
05-14-2007, 10:08 PM
bumpinitup