PDA

View Full Version : Something else besides the XR cam?

rhandw69
10-15-2002, 01:04 PM
Besides the XR cam, what are a few "drop-in" cams that are out there on the market. Im looking for something that offers more on the top end. I already have the XR cam, and i think i need something with some more top end. Or actually I want more mid than the XR cam, and more Top than the XR cam.
Today I called the folks at Curtis SParks, and they said they offered a drop in cam, but not too sure about it. If anyone else has some info about it can you send some.

Extremeracer167
10-15-2002, 01:22 PM
TC RACING!!!!!:D I got there GNCC grind cam....i think 926 is what its called, and that thing has mad MID RANGE!!! I LOVE IT!!

zoom400ex
10-15-2002, 01:29 PM
ya i was lookin ginot buying an aftermarket cam for my 400. everyone syas that the xr's cams add descent power but i have heard alot of people say to go with tc or hotcams and that they add alot more than the xr400's. i want more mid to top end what do you think i should get?!?!?!:devil

Extremeracer167
10-15-2002, 01:38 PM
Dont go with Hot Cams, there have been a few posts on here saying they are junk. www.tcracingengines.com <--- its the Shiznit!!

NJ300ex
10-15-2002, 01:58 PM
Better for your application than the previuosly listed choices is the HRC cam. It is made by honda themselves for the XR400. So if the XR400 stock cam is not wild enough look at the HRC. It is just what you are looking for. It delivers most power in the mid and top. You can get it from honda or service honda. It is a drop in from what I understand. You may want to replace valve springs anyway. It is always safe to do so when going to a more wild cam.

www.servicehonda.com

You can also get a copy of it from Al Baker's XR'S Only. It costs much less than the real HRC and I haven't heard of people having problems with it. There website is in the links section.

To get valve springs you can contact XR's Only or web cam. Web cam's link is also in the link section.

Start another thread asking HRC cam owners how they like thier cam and get some feedback.

I would be weary of getting a hot cam since they have such bad customer service and members of this board have had problems with them.

VegasEx'r
10-15-2002, 03:33 PM
Yeah I'd take a look at the HRC cam or the copy from xrsonly. The Hot Cam is a good cam, or atr least I have been impressed with mine, but you are taking a risk by buying it. You could also give GT Thunder a call & see what they have to offer.

433rd
10-15-2002, 04:01 PM
I'm running both the WEB race cam and Stage II hot cams. I'm happy with both (two different engines). As far as folks having problems with the hot cams, they are VERY few and far between, I wouldn't hesitate using them again.

The last time I heard of a person with a hot cams failure was because he really didn't know too much about what he was doing (ummmmm, thought he was "Mr. Master EX Mechanic") and left the compression release spring and plunger in the head. Needless to say, they worked themselves out, found their way into the timing chain and gear then started eating everything up the popped the timing chain, then he blamed Hot Cams for the problem even though it was his problem for the failure and not theirs. It could happen with any aftermarket cam that you remove the compression release if you didn't know or pay attention to what you were doing. For the money, they are a hard one to beat.

The WEB race cam is quite a bit more aggressive than most of the "all around" or even "race" cams you will find advertised. You would need to use some hard weld rockers and better springs with it though. It is without a doubt, a notch or two above the Stage II hot cams cam.

Just about anything will work better than the stock cam however, you will really see more power if you raise the compression at the same time. Cam and higher compression kind of go hand in hand. Of course then a little porting, polishing, flow work....etc...etc will even help more. Another thing that will help and is nice insurance is a good set of aftermarket valves. The stockers are not made to be pounded like they will be with a higher lift cam and heavier springs. One split second in time too long on a fatigued exhaust valve, the head breaks off the stem and it makes some pretty metal parts inside your engine after the piston tries to stuff it into the little combustion chamber that it was not designed to fit into (Kind of like the ol' square peg in the round hole problem).