PDA

View Full Version : internet cable problems

Kickstarts-suck
05-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Ive been having problems with my cable for my internet alot lately and wanted to know if yall knew what was wrong.

I have comcast internet and a D-Link modem Every day the light for the cable will start blinking and i cant connect to anything like the cable is out. BUT the cable for the TVs work fine and im pretty sure they are the same. Is something wrong with my modem? Or is it the cable?

Its really annoying because it will be out for hours at a time but the Tv works fine.

:mad:

mac450
05-13-2007, 04:33 AM
You may wanan check on a new modem, mine was doing the same until one day it finallly stopped working and had to get a new one!

Old Head
05-13-2007, 05:32 AM
try disconnecting the modem cable and power. works for me when that happens.

FreekShow
05-13-2007, 05:41 AM
its the d-link modem, they are complete junk. i had one and would have the same problem. just random internet loss until i finally said screw this and smashed the hell out of the dlink and bought a different router.

Old Head
05-13-2007, 05:43 AM
hmm i guess routers are like cars cause i've had a d-link for 3 years now with hardly any problems

FreekShow
05-13-2007, 05:55 AM
yeah, i guess it depends what model dlink it is. i got one off of tigerdirect for $20 and it was nothing but problems.

Mxjunkie
05-13-2007, 08:24 AM
It's a mixture of the D-link product and comcast's service.. 85% of the time my internet work's properly and it lead's to me calling comcast and listening to the same question's about 30 times now.. It's rather dissapointing but the internet speed is fantastic. Try and get a Linksys from cisco systems.

Try repairing your local connection next time and restart both the cable modem which should be a RCA and the router if you have one..

quad2xtreme
05-13-2007, 09:58 AM
recommend starting by having Comcast replace the cable modem. There is definitely a model they used that has power problems. Wiggle the electrical connection and see if it causes it to recycle the power.

I have used both DLINK and Linksys. Like a few others, I prefer the Linksys.

/Jon

Kickstarts-suck
05-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Its a D-link DCM-202

Ive tried unplugging it and reseting it but it didn't work. We have had it for about 3 years and never had problems until now.

Any website i could buy a better one from?

IT was out for since 1:30 today :mad:

DVS_Freestyler
05-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
Ive been having problems with my cable for my internet alot lately and wanted to know if yall knew what was wrong.

I have comcast internet and a D-Link modem Every day the light for the cable will start blinking and i cant connect to anything like the cable is out. BUT the cable for the TVs work fine and im pretty sure they are the same. Is something wrong with my modem? Or is it the cable?

Its really annoying because it will be out for hours at a time but the Tv works fine.

:mad:

Weird because i've had that same problem and i still haven't figured it out!

I've tried moving my router to a differnt outlet and it seems to work.

Kickstarts-suck
05-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Well my mom is out shopping for mothers day and I called her and told her everyone thinks its the modem so better hope it is because she might get one. :p

CRich[814]
05-13-2007, 02:10 PM
our modem **** the bed a few months ago. internet would always shut down for no reason. new modem and ethernet chord and shazam! its perfect.

vpofthedrc
05-13-2007, 02:22 PM
If the cable light on the modem is going out, then it likely is NOT a problem with your router.

Just because your television is working fine, is not a very good indicator either. A DOCSIS modem works on a db level of +10 to -10. At -15 your TV may still look ok to you, but your modem will lose sync.

Also, your TV is only working on a downstream signal, from the cable plant to your house, while your modem has an upstream connection talking back to your cable plants headend. This is likely where your problem lies. It is the reason for 85% of the intermittent problems I run into on a daily basis.

Setup a service call, they are usually free, and it should cure your headache.

byrdman37876
05-14-2007, 09:01 PM
think of it this way.

at least it ain't dial up. it really bites.

Kickstarts-suck
05-15-2007, 12:05 AM
called comcast they said they will be here friday...:ermm: