PDA

View Full Version : Plug?

Scott-300ex
05-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Well I went riding today, mixed it at about 28:1, start riding, it is smoking a LOT! I'm like, hell man, so I keep riding, keep in mind I usually run like 24:1, I'm like, wtf. Then it started loosing its pull and instead of being a constant steady sound when it pulls, when it got up in the high mid to top it would sputter like if you roll your tounge, I'm like "F!" Then it didn't smoke hardly at all and it started running better

:huh

So did I foul a plug? I gotta still take it off later. And I'm runnin 32:1 from now on and no more.

250r4life
05-14-2007, 11:42 AM
24 to one huh?

could be several things... sounds like your carb coulda been a little gummed up and just needed it just needed to be wound out a couple times to blow it out...

Scott-300ex
05-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Yeh, I tried that to, get on it when riding and pull in the clutch and wrap it out a few times, to clean it out, maybe it worked cuz it was runnin better after like 15-20 min. of that bs.

I prolly should lean up a bit on my jets, I don't know wut the guy jetted it at after the mods he bolted up, but he always took it to a shop and he should know wut he's doin right? LoL.

So from here on, check plug, then run 32:1.

Any other comments appreciated.

400exrider989
05-15-2007, 07:12 PM
i found that when my bike sits for awhile like even 10 minutes that if i shake the hell outta the bike that it starts alot easier and dosnt smoke so much so how long did you have gas in there for? if it was a day or so and you didnt shake the bike then i would say that your oil got a little heavy on bottom because it never stays mixed perfectly ... nothing does really

oh and btw 24:1 is heavy man even 28:1 is heavy i would stay around 32:1 and change tha plug and keep the gas mixed and it well run like a million bucks or something

Mike

Scott-300ex
05-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Yeh, half the tank was a month or 2 old, the other half was brand new but I know wut you mean about the oil soakin to the bottom, I thought of that too, I hope thats all it was.

I'll make sure to shake the hell out of it next time I ride it.'

And I think I'm gonna run this tank and gas in my can out then change the plug. Its runnin good again if it ran like junk I'd drain and ditch the fuel and new plug, but I'll finish it up, toss in a plug and run 32:1. I picked up a new plug today. Thanks.

400exrider989
05-16-2007, 06:01 PM
holy 2 months then i could almost garantee that is your problem

yeah man finish that gas throw a new plug in some fresh gas and 32:1 and your will feel the power now baby

Scott-300ex
05-17-2007, 07:21 PM
I'm thinkin I might take the air box lid off to lean it up a bit, Wut do you guys think?

Isn't it, When you want power and bogs=rich, When you don't want power and bogs=lean.

So if I get on it and it cuts out or wutever, sounds like you roll your tounge that means its rich, right?

86250rrider
05-17-2007, 07:41 PM
there are two kinds of lean: lean air/fuel and lean fuel /oil. what you did by adding more oil is you leaned out the ammount of fuel in your mix making it run lean. thats why it sputtered! think about it .and dont flame me here cause i know im right! i dont change my jets but i adjust the fuel/oil mix according to the weather conditions and altitude. and i never fouled a plug in my r in 4 years! and it rips !!!:D

400exrider989
05-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by 86250rrider
there are two kinds of lean: lean air/fuel and lean fuel /oil. what you did by adding more oil is you leaned out the ammount of fuel in your mix making it run lean. thats why it sputtered! think about it .and dont flame me here cause i know im right! i dont change my jets but i adjust the fuel/oil mix according to the weather conditions and altitude. and i never fouled a plug in my r in 4 years! and it rips !!!:D

Well i hate to brake it to you but i think you are wrong ... not there being 2 kinds of lean because there is but most of the time guys talk about being lean with fuel. Look at it this way you want some steak for supper or something and you want it FAT and juicy so you want it rich meaning alot of something now if you arnt so hungry you would go with a lean steak meaning thin and not much or less FAT

i am pretty sure i am right but if i am not then please forgive me

86250rrider
05-17-2007, 08:41 PM
i guess i learned something tonight:confused:

GPracer2500
05-17-2007, 09:10 PM
This is why I do not like using the terms "lean" and "rich" when talking about oil/fuel mix ratios. Although it's common to use those terms when talking about mix ratios, I believe "lean" and "rich" should be reserved for air/fuel ratios ONLY.

20:1 would commonly be called "rich" compared to 40:1. But 20:1 will result in a leaner air/fuel ratio vs. 40:1. More oil in every unit of oil/fuel mixture means there's less fuel: less fuel = leaner air/fuel ratio. And therein lies the confusion.

I think it's more appropriate (and far less confusing) to use the terms "more dilluted" or "less dilluted" or just say what the premix ratio is exactly. Leave "lean" and "rich" for air/fuel ratios only.

JMO

86250rrider
05-17-2007, 09:43 PM
i agree.....i just wanted to make him aware of the different possibilities.many do not comprehend that principle.:D