PDA

View Full Version : 300-325lbs. ??

hsr
05-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Well, if they put as much effort and technology into the rest of this bike as they have put in the frame, it appears that this thing should be pretty good. Now , I know this is a stretch but with continous advancements like this, would a 300-325 pound 450 race quad be something that we may see in the future? This new frame has really opened my eyes to how outdated and weak the yamaha and honda frames really are.

GE4x4
05-12-2007, 03:57 PM
I think what really suprises me, is they can make that frame with all that technology and I'm sure theres more to come, yet still be at the same price range as the other 450 EFI quads. Heard price was $7499.

hsr
05-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by GE4x4
I think what really suprises me, is they can make that frame with all that technology and I'm sure theres more to come, yet still be at the same price range as the other 450 EFI quads. Heard price was $7499.

It's going to be nice being able to pay $7,499 and getting your moneys worth, without having to deal with replacing half of the parts on it.

HondaATC500X
05-12-2007, 05:12 PM
No one will believe me, but this machine has been in the works for a very very long time. Since about the same time the DS650 came out. It was originally going to be a 400, but its evolved into a 450. Bombardier has some of the brightest engineers and designers in the world. They have not taken this project lightly (no pun intended). It will be the most technologically advanced machine we've ever seen, to the point it will make the Cannondales look archaic even in their own time period.

Interesting times ahead gentlemen :cool:

troutman561
05-12-2007, 06:22 PM
I heard it is going to be air cooled and have 2, yes I said 2 overhead valves...

TWILES
05-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Looking at the frame was neat. I bet its a ***** to work on.

bradley300
05-13-2007, 07:22 AM
well, a stock blasterweighs 320, thats with steel wheels, frame, a-arms, swingarm, handlebars enourmous 2 stroke exhaust pipe, steel grab bar and bumper.... i would think using some innovative parts, they could get a 450 in the 320 range

Gray33
05-13-2007, 07:30 AM
picture of pretty much stock blaster

toady
05-13-2007, 07:54 AM
Did you mean to post a picture of your blaster in this thread or did it have some meaning??

Originally posted by Gray33
picture of pretty much stock blaster

I wish some insider would spill it on whats coming up next..:D

TWILES
05-13-2007, 10:23 AM
I'd like to see one down to 350lbs on the track. I remember when I started getting ino racing 12 years ago and some one was showing a Laeger 250R and the scale showed 330 ready to go. Granted the 450's might make better power than the 250R's but the power-to-weight ratio isn't as good. I saw where Natalie's and Gust's 450's were weighed in a magazine and showed 400. A Banshee stripped down ready to race doesn't weigh any more than that and makes a whole lot more power.

Gray33
05-13-2007, 08:06 PM
Toady the guy above me was saying a stock blaster weighs 320 and I wanted to show you a pic of how small a 320 quad looks like man

TWILES
05-13-2007, 08:26 PM
I know what they look like. Its not the size of the bike that makes the weight, its the stuff its made of. Go to www.yamaha-motor.com and bring up the 07 WR450F and compare it to the TTR230 on the "specifications" page. Then scrole down and look at the weights of the two. If you thinks it because the WR as an alluminum frame, go to the TTR230 page and compare it to the 2005/2006 steal-framed WR450's. Its possible to get one light. The bone stock 250R's dry weight was like 328 and its a full-sized bike. Granted the motor didn't weigh anywhere near as much as the 450 motors BUT it had the same everything else the 450s have and was a good 20lbs lighter. I'd like to know exactly how much lighter the DS's frame is compared to the others.

swampfoxsc
05-15-2007, 11:54 AM
It is 345 lbs dry weight.

The frame is 5.3 lbs lighter than the KFX 450R aluminum frame.

Quad18star
05-15-2007, 12:52 PM
It's going to be very light .

Put it this way ... BRP is investing nearly 20 million dollars on a new R&D center so that projects like these can becoem a reality .

Now if you think having a quad weigh in at 310 lbs is impossible , think again. BRP has been able to bring the weight of their snowmobile race sleds down to 399 lbs . Doesn't sound impressive ?? Think again .... less than 10 years ago , snowmachines were weighing in at over 500 lbs. A track alone weighs around 45-50lbs and there's a lot more to a sled than a quad.

BRP is stirring up the pot in the sport atv section . They want to be #1 and they will be #1 .

JMann2380
05-15-2007, 01:18 PM
That sounds awesome.. but what are thier plans for the DS650.

quadinfamily
05-15-2007, 02:24 PM
it will be 800 vtwin with a 5 speed 50in wide under 400lb.

TYayo420
05-18-2007, 04:54 AM
all the bickering about weight issues....

Everyone well most ppl online i read about, complain abt heavy bikes, me and 3 or 4 ppl i know like a lil more weight. think about it, we race TT road coarse tracks that are tt, We spin alot and yes it is good, but i added 2 10 lbs steal slabs that are roughly 6x6x4 to my rear end of my race quad, i got sick of spinning too much with flat track tires. Low and behold the obvious happened like in winter, i got more traction adding 20 pounds above the axle onto the axle carrier! what does that mean? holeshots are frequent now, and after my innovation, my friends did the same thing. So i dont know why ppl bicker about 10-20 pounds and try to lighten it up some, cuz if you have some extra weight on the axle you get more traction!!!! who cares about 10 more pounds it gives you traction. Just my opinion.

OutlawBill
05-19-2007, 06:59 AM
down too around 342 LBS now so it should end up in the mid too low 330's for sure

stocktires
05-21-2007, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by TYayo420

Everyone well most ppl online i read about, complain abt heavy bikes, me and 3 or 4 ppl i know like a lil more weight. think about it, we race TT road coarse tracks that are tt, We spin alot and yes it is good, but i added 2 10 lbs steal slabs that are roughly 6x6x4 to my rear end of my race quad, i got sick of spinning too much with flat track tires. Low and behold the obvious happened like in winter, i got more traction adding 20 pounds above the axle onto the axle carrier! what does that mean? holeshots are frequent now, and after my innovation, my friends did the same thing. So i dont know why ppl bicker about 10-20 pounds and try to lighten it up some, cuz if you have some extra weight on the axle you get more traction!!!! who cares about 10 more pounds it gives you traction. Just my opinion.

20lbs in the air feels like 100lbs. Even on the trails, 20lbs lighter means a much more nimble quad.

Toadz400
05-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Weight doesn't always mean more traction. There are other ways to gain traction while reducing weight. Take a look at snowmobile tracks. The old school tracks were huge and now the newer tracks are half the weight and size.

NTPRacing#19
05-27-2007, 07:59 PM
traction is NOT weight in MX but yes in oval it might be. in mx clutch and throttle control and suspension gets you moving forward. im undecided on something like this quad. traditionally somethings in engineering are not bad and work just as good as they should.

Robin Hood
05-28-2007, 09:41 AM
Body english IMO is the key to traction. Mowe power + less weight = faster + more nimble. You might get more traction with a heavier bike, but the other quad that has 10 less pounds on it is going to go into a corner and accelerate out of it much faster than you will.

I actually might wait until the DS450 comes out to make my final decision on what 450 to purchase. I was pretty dead set on an LTR until I heard of the DS.

Toadz400
05-28-2007, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Robin Hood
Sorry, double post.:eek:

Just to let you know, you can click on "Edit" which is right next to "Quote" on any of your posts and you can delete it. That way if you accidentally double post you can delete it yourself. Just an FYI;) .

Robin Hood
05-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Just to let you know, you can click on "Edit" which is right next to "Quote" on any of your posts and you can delete it. That way if you accidentally double post you can delete it yourself. Just an FYI;) .

Thanks! Never knew that actually. :p

5racing
05-31-2007, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by TYayo420

There is a difference when that extra weight is built into the quad,you cant move it around to your advantage.You added 20lbs where it benifited you,if that extra 20lbs was built into the quad you would still need to add weight to the rear to get the same results,thus making you 20lbs heavier than you need to be.I race flattrack and a shortened swingarm should help alot with your spinning.

Byte
06-02-2007, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by swampfoxsc

You nailed it.

DS 450

Color:
Yellow

Price (MSRP): $7,499.00 USD

The DS 450 is the new benchmark for performance, handling and control - on track and off - thanks to the most power in the class, lowest weight, most centralized mass, lowest unsprung weight, and fully-adjustable sport-tuned suspension.

Responsive and easy to maneuver, thanks to centralized masses and unmatched power-to-weight ratio
At 345 pounds (156 kg) dry, it is the lightest 450 sport ATV
New Rotax 450 engine is the most powerful, 9% more HP than the best-in-class competitor
Lightweight ALTECTM aluminum chassis with dual-pyramidal frame - 13% lighter than the best-in-class competitor
Innovative R-TypeTM front and rear suspensions deliver handling, control, and feel
KYB‡ HPG aluminum body piggyback shocks with full adjustability
Wilwood disc brakes: 182mm wave-type discs with inverted twin-piston calipers in front, 198mm wave-type disc in rear
Extra features like racing kick-up footpegs, detachable headlights, interchangeable fenders

*Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price

Byte
06-02-2007, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by swampfoxsc

You nailed it.

DS 450

Color:
Yellow

Price (MSRP): $7,499.00 USD

The DS 450 is the new benchmark for performance, handling and control - on track and off - thanks to the most power in the class, lowest weight, most centralized mass, lowest unsprung weight, and fully-adjustable sport-tuned suspension.

Responsive and easy to maneuver, thanks to centralized masses and unmatched power-to-weight ratio
At 345 pounds (156 kg) dry, it is the lightest 450 sport ATV
New Rotax 450 engine is the most powerful, 9% more HP than the best-in-class competitor
Lightweight ALTECTM aluminum chassis with dual-pyramidal frame - 13% lighter than the best-in-class competitor
Innovative R-TypeTM front and rear suspensions deliver handling, control, and feel
KYB‡ HPG aluminum body piggyback shocks with full adjustability
Wilwood disc brakes: 182mm wave-type discs with inverted twin-piston calipers in front, 198mm wave-type disc in rear
Extra features like racing kick-up footpegs, detachable headlights, interchangeable fenders

*Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price

OutlawBill
06-02-2007, 06:44 AM
must have a boat anchor of a engine.- 5 lbs for the frame -3 lbs for the A-arms and -9 lbs for the rear. with total reduction of only -5 lbs the number due not match, must be Canadian new math.

Fred55
06-02-2007, 07:57 AM
Putting good tires on will add weight as well. Also the shocks look larger than other stock shocks and probably weigh more.

Fred55
06-02-2007, 07:57 AM
Putting good tires on will add weight as well. Also the shocks look larger than other stock shocks and probably weigh more.

GE4x4
06-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Other then the YFZ, the DS is 18-23lbs lighter then the other e-start 450's. That is a lot. And we all know the YFZ doesn't weight 350lbs.

CannondaleRider
06-02-2007, 11:33 AM
I would bet that Can-Ams measurement of the dry weight is WAY more accurate then Yamahas measurements! Yamaha lies about so much *****. The YFZ is heavier then 350lbs

If you were to be adding some aftermarket Chromoly arms(hopefully Can-Am will put out +2 Aluminum A-Arms) with some Fox Float-X Evols(extremely light, for those of you that don't know) your weight will still be very close.

Plus, if your fretting about a little weight......Loss that few pounds yourself.

ALSO, a massive percentage of the people that will be buying this thing, won't be at a riding level that the small addition of weight will affect.

07250ex
06-02-2007, 12:29 PM
if the yfz doesn't way 350 pounds then what does it weigh:macho

250Renvy
06-02-2007, 12:50 PM
They kept talking about weight weight weight, but 345lbs, that's still 20 lbs heavier than the 250R's stock weight which we all know can be lightened just by removing the stock pipe and axle.

It's too bad there will be no way to retrofit a 250R motor in there.

Slip_Venom
06-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by OutlawBill
must have a boat anchor of a engine.- 5 lbs for the frame -3 lbs for the A-arms and -9 lbs for the rear. with total reduction of only -5 lbs the number due not match, must be Canadian new math.

I agree, with as much weight that was saved everywere else the motor must be about 15lbs heavier than the yamaha and the honda.

Slip_Venom
06-02-2007, 09:50 PM

I agree, with as much weight that was saved everywere else the motor must be about 15lbs heavier than the yamaha and the honda.

Slip_Venom
06-02-2007, 09:51 PM

superevil
07-26-2007, 01:19 AM
The lightest full sized sport quad ever built was the 1985 suzuki lt250r. 293 lbs dry weight (as stated in the manuals) If they can build a full sized quad that weighed that much 22 years ago,im sure they could build a super light one now.

superevil
07-26-2007, 01:28 AM
oops

hasbeenttduner
07-27-2007, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by superevil
The lightest full sized sport quad ever built was the 1985 suzuki lt250r. 293 lbs dry weight (as stated in the manuals) If they can build a full sized quad that weighed that much 22 years ago,im sure they could build a super light one now.

That was a 250 2 stroke and the 450 4 stroke powerplant will never be close to that weight.As for the rest most parts are lighter now days and it had it's share of problems.It had a weak frame and the front end geom was a joke.Maybe it should of weighed a little bit more.

Toadz400
07-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by hasbeenttduner
That was a 250 2 stroke and the 450 4 stroke powerplant will never be close to that weight.As for the rest most parts are lighter now days and it had it's share of problems.It had a weak frame and the front end geom was a joke.Maybe it should of weighed a little bit more.

You may be right about it having problems and having poor geometry but at least they were the first to try it out and came out with at least a half way decent machine. From what I hear they were pretty fast. Of course Honda was able to look at it and improve vastly on it but without Suzuki putting out that first high-performance ATV who knows where we'd be right now?

quadinfamily
07-28-2007, 11:54 AM
with the shocks they had back then was a lot of the problem.you can only bottom out so many times before something breaks .two stokes quads will always be lighter, I would love to put my gasgas 330 two stoke in ds450 frame.

07-28-2007, 01:06 PM
the LT250r wasnt a bad quad for the time. Suzuki was on the right track with the LT250r, they still made changs year to year unlike yamaha. Honda made a few changes to the 250r but nothing crazy. The LT had plastic changes, added a PV. They are fast too! Just as fast as any quad out on the market today.

But the DS450 is just a tad lighter then the other 450s, nothing crazy.