PDA

View Full Version : 440ex vs. 250r

Jekyl_22
10-15-2002, 10:46 AM
I know that the 250r is the "greatest racing quad of all time", but I need to beat it. Here's the story: An 8th grade kid who has been riding since he was 4 is getting a hopped-up 250r. I have only been riding for not quite a year and a half, but I'm a sophmore in high school. Since I'm older, I have to beat him!!!
I have a little bit of skill advantage and I'm a little bit crazier. Can I compete, I own a 440ex? It is pretty much only bored out to a 440, high compression piston (11:1), and K&N airfilter. I plan on buying an exhaust pipe and cam soon though. With these mods, should I be able to at least keep up with a decently hopped up 250r? What kind of horsepower does a 250r put out? Any tips on where a 440ex could possibly be better than a 250r would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.....:macho

beerock
10-15-2002, 10:57 AM
dude your asking for alot.....

first, the 416 ill have more top end then a 440, depending on the 440 kit you have, usually the 416 has more top....

unless you have a ton of work on your 440(even then it would be hard to beat a r)

you need to practice hole shotting and body position... if you plan on beating him in a 300-500foot drag...
other then that its only a matter of time.
but riding through trails is more rider then biike so dont worry about that.

lil400exman
10-15-2002, 11:04 AM
yeb beerok you said it.....

Jekyl_22
10-15-2002, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the help, the racing we are going to be doing are going to mostly be woods and some jumping. Will the power difference be too big to where I can't keep up or beat him though? We are both pretty good riders. We are about equal, but I'm still improving a lot. Where does the 400 do better than a 250r at also? I will use any advantage I can, to a point.

beerock
10-15-2002, 12:20 PM
uhh it has more bottom end then a 250r:rolleyes:

oh yeah you should try to make him stall the bike because it takes longer to kick a 250r then push the button on the 400ex :rolleyes:

thats about it bro...

i think your friends gonna beat your ***** but I can pretty much garauntee that its all bike....

if your both evenly matched riders then of course hes gonna beat you...

and you would beat him on the r....

thats about the size of it.....

Pro400EXC
10-15-2002, 02:30 PM
Well...I have a stock motored 400ex (except for my custom short silencer /Pro-Circuit)

I alos have shocks,and so on,but thats not dealing with motor mods.....

All I have too say is it's mainly rider,cause I was pasing Raptor's,Z400's,and R's and so on when i race Hair Scrambles.....

so My suggestion is work-out ride more,and so on,and you might have the edge on him....

TGW_400ex
11-02-2006, 10:20 AM
Did you win or what!

leadman_09
11-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Ok well first you probly need to have a little more experience, because most of the time its not the atv its the rider.

sly400ex
11-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by TGW_400ex
Did you win or what!

I was wondering the same thing from four years ago too!!!!:huh

:D

TRXNIGHTRIDER
11-02-2006, 12:56 PM
i have a pretty much stock 400ex and my cousin had a decked out 310r and in trails jumps and even the start of a drag i would beat him somehow and he is a much better rider than me. the 250r is seems like it is mostly a top end quad. unless ur doing a wide open drag u should be able to keep up with him. mine toped out in 5th was like his in low to mid 5th and he had 6 gears

deathman53
11-02-2006, 02:46 PM
its all rider, I have to ask.....why would you bore it to a 440 and keep the stock exhaust, and cam????????? Most people do it the other way(smarter way too), pipe, cam, carb, hi-comp piston. The way I do things in this....suspension, axle, a-arms, tires, remove airbox lid, pipe, piston, cam, carb and while the motor is apart I have it ported/polished too. You only can go as fast as your bike will allow, the other thing that is a must is a steering stabilizer. I get the chassis up to spec before the motor.
One thing I forget to mention, does his 250r have extended axles and a-arms, if you are stock you will beat him in the woods, simply due to width, he will have to slow down and/or stop for tight obsticles, you probably could blast right past him. There are so many factors here, if he is setup for the woods and can ride good, you are dead, you have a chance if he isn't setup for the woods, but for mx instead.

LONG LIVE THE 250R

ilpadrino113
11-02-2006, 04:12 PM
who dug up a four year old post???

and i'd money on that he didn't win

rockman
11-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by ilpadrino113
who dug up a four year old post???

:huh My thoughts exactly.. Man TGW_400ex you need to ride more or something. Thats just not right to have that much time that you can be looking at 4-year old posts.

TGW_400ex
11-02-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by rockman
:huh My thoughts exactly.. Man TGW_400ex you need to ride more or something. Thats just not right to have that much time that you can be looking at 4-year old posts.

Too cold to ride man. It didn't take long to find either.;)