PDA

View Full Version : HD cam chain install, no head removal?

maddmatt02
05-11-2007, 08:28 PM
ok, adjusted my valves, still noisy, I know aftermarket high lift valvetrain is usually somewhat noisy, but reading stories of cam chains stretching, and this begine a engine with only 8 4 lap heats and 8 4 lap races (tiny flat-track oval), and 3 trips to the dunes on it, I really dont wanna f it up. I also just found out its the same chain as when the 440 blew, so its gotta be time, however I work tomorrow as well as mon-thur when I leave for winchester bay, so I dont have lots of time to tear into it. just wondering if I can just remove the valve cover, and side cover, remove cam and just slip chain off of the crank, and pull it out from the head, drop new oen in and reinstall everything. or does the head have to come off. I am gonna get a manual for this thing soon, but would like to know ASAP to know how much time I need to allow for myself to do this.

thanks.

JOEX
05-11-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm pretty sure you dont have to remove the head but the clutch will need to be removed.

maddmatt02
05-11-2007, 11:04 PM
well now I get to inspect the clutch and I gotta change the oil anyways, so its a win/win.

JW450R1
05-30-2007, 08:01 PM
I just installed a crf 450 chain on my buddies 400ex.its the same as the heavy duty one for the 400ex,just 1/2 the price.