PDA

View Full Version : major antifreeze problem

mojohoits
05-11-2007, 03:22 PM
i have had the outside seal changed 3 times and i just had the shaft and the inside seal replaced. the damn thing is still leaking out of the wheep hose under the water pump. i talked to a diff. machanic and he said it might be the impeller. i really dont think that would make it leak as much as it does. i am stumped and pretty pissed off that nothing is working. please let me know if anyone knows how to fix this. its an 04 yfz 450.

MonsterEnergy19
05-13-2007, 07:18 PM
I have the same problem, replaced shaft, both seals, and the bearing and still leaking

mojohoits
05-13-2007, 07:53 PM
do you think it might be a crack in the case? i really dont know where else to look for a problem. its not like there is alot to the whole antifreeze thing anyway. just wondering if yours always did this or it just happend and now you cant fix it. i just got this quad so i dont know how long its been doing it.

jshtex
05-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by mojohoits
i have had the outside seal changed 3 times and i just had the shaft and the inside seal replaced. the damn thing is still leaking out of the wheep hose under the water pump. i talked to a diff. machanic and he said it might be the impeller. i really dont think that would make it leak as much as it does. i am stumped and pretty pissed off that nothing is working. please let me know if anyone knows how to fix this. its an 04 yfz 450.

First off are you sure that whoever was supposed to replace the shaft and inner seal actually did it?

Thats weird. The only thing that comes to mind is that the outside seal may be installed backwards. Some of the quads came from the factory with them installed backwards and if you installed the new ones the same way they would be backwards.

Both the seals should have the flat part facing each other in the center where the weep hole is.

As for the impellar, I can't see any way that would / could cause a leak.

I have replaced the hole shooting match on our 04 twice now and I carry all the stuff to do it with me to all the races, but ours has always fixed the problem (at least for a while....).

mojohoits
05-15-2007, 08:07 PM
now that you say that i am pretty sure that the outside seal is on backwards. i just followed what it was before figuring it was right. if it is that simple you just made my night haha. thanks for your input.

KH426
05-21-2007, 08:15 PM
that seal gose in backwards from what you would think. I messed mine up when I put it back in.

mojohoits
05-22-2007, 05:30 AM
yeah that was it. flipped it around and now it dosnt leak. thanks guys

rpyfz450
05-25-2007, 12:40 PM
I installed it backwards once and it leaked immediatly which was uncharacteristic of a worn seal that dripped periodically.