PDA

View Full Version : My Idea For A Homemade Exhaust

wrobben
05-11-2007, 10:19 AM
k i got an idea for a homemade exhaust, i have made on before for a Honda 200x it turned out good.

So hear is my idea for my 400ex, i got a summit 18" glasspack coming and i will fabricate mounts just like the mounts for a stock exhaust weld them on in the same places the old one were cut the outlet piece off just before the weld, neatly grind the end of the GP install it then i will need a reducer that is 2 1/4"- 1 1/2" the 1 1/2" will sip right on the stock headpipe then u need to fabricate a piece to connect the GP to the reducer.

Ill get some pics and a drawing in here is at comes along wont be for a week till the GP comes in the mail.

Nobody dis this eather. You dont do that just for someone being creative and using their mind and skills to make an exhaust if u have nothing good to say keep it to yourself. All these performance exhaust pipes had to start from ground up.

u_want_some
05-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Sounds alright!! I would love to see some pics and/or a drawing/blueprint of what you are trying to do...The best of Luck and hope it works for ya

pats2007450er
05-11-2007, 11:45 AM
sounds pretty cool.hope it works,i want to see some pics and good results.rock on dude:macho

wrobben
05-11-2007, 12:22 PM
here is a crud drawing i made it in 10 mintues then comps got taken away its my senior year so no more free laptop lol.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/ghstsldier/400expipe.jpg

pats2007450er
05-11-2007, 12:46 PM
look's good and it might sound good to good luck keep it updated.

dg26
05-11-2007, 01:00 PM
you should really do some dyno runs stock vs. ur pipe. I would really be interesting to see the results, even if you only gain two horse or so that is pretty decent for spending 75$ tops. Also If I was you I would play with the header too, thats where you can make most of the power. Possibly go bigger diameter tubing or mess with the length of the curve. Could be really cool when done, that is if your welding skills are any good, I would make sure you TIG it and not MIG it, much more visually pleasing welds.

pats2007450er
05-11-2007, 04:18 PM
put a end cap on it

wrobben
05-11-2007, 06:07 PM
ive got good MIG skills i never did learn to TIG in highschool shop class, but i can MIG good enough to make the welds small so they look ok. Im gonna weld and then i will grind em down smooth it out and get it painted.

flauge
05-12-2007, 07:22 AM
Does the glasspack have a louvered core or perforated core? A perforated core would be better for flow..;) I also saw that you said that the I.D is 2 1/4 on the GP so you might be okay if it is louvered anyway. The louvers on the bigger core wont be completely obstructing flow like if they were on a smaller core like the 1 1/2 you were talking about reducing to. Make sure you show some pics.:cool:

pats2007450er
05-12-2007, 05:24 PM
i bet it will be loud as fck,that's the way i like it.might not get enough back pressure.i want to see it after the finished product.rock on dude's:macho

flauge
05-13-2007, 01:36 PM
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/parts/tweekerparts/perf-louvered.jpg
Heres a perforated and a louvered core. From what ive read, tthe louvered core will flow 5% less but will be quieter;)

wrobben
05-13-2007, 01:49 PM
i think its the louvered core im not positive though

wrobben
05-14-2007, 08:27 AM
here is a better drawing i added a exhaust tip

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/ghstsldier/400expipe-1.jpg

400exrider707
05-14-2007, 08:44 AM
Not bashing... but what exactly makes you think, that this will work? I'm just curious to see if you have done any homework on this at all.

wrobben
05-14-2007, 11:55 AM
Ive heard of other people using them on their utilitys and on motorcycles.

I dont know it will work or if it wont. Though i really dont see why it wouldnt work. Straight through design with little restriction. Less restriction = better right. Its the same as a vehicle, u install headers, dual exhaust with no cats which no cats is illegal but who really cares, a couple glass packs or no glass packs its your choice, u just do that and u free up so much for your engine. More power and a few mpg so just think of that and apply it to an ATV and i say why not. All u need is imagination, determination, and some fab skills. Just remember to think "Why Not"

400exrider707
05-14-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by wrobben
Less restriction = better right.

Just remember to think "Why Not"

No less restriction is not better, there is a point where it hurts power.

I only think why, because you think why not, its good to hear two sides to an argument, it creates discussion, and brings about new ideas. I am interested to see how this works out for you.

Just as a note though, if you have ever seen a pipe shootout done on a 400ex. Removing the lid, putting a pipe on and jetting, only yields 1-2 peak horsepower.

pats2007450er
05-14-2007, 02:11 PM
the only way you hurt hp is not enough back pressure or to much.more an likly it will not have enough back pressure but you can put a small end cap on it and that will give it more back pressure.i know it will work.cant be to hard.give me a welder,gorilla glue and black tape and i can build anything.:D

wrobben
05-14-2007, 02:50 PM
wouldnt the louvered core help a bit with the backpressure issue

54warrior
05-15-2007, 06:18 AM
wouldnt the louvered core help a bit with the backpressure issue

Yes, It would help with BP much better than the perforated core.

I am with 400exrider707 on this one though. The only thing you (and your neighbors) are going to notice will be how much luder it is.

dariusld
05-15-2007, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
No less restriction is not better, there is a point where it hurts power.

Just as a note though, if you have ever seen a pipe shootout done on a 400ex. Removing the lid, putting a pipe on and jetting, only yields 1-2 peak horsepower.

I'm no expert and know nothing. But there are so many things wrong or way to general or vague or not specific enough with these statements, even if we are talking about the 400ex. Less restriction is not ALWAYS better. Most high horsepower engine perform best with no muffler and short pipes. And there are probably a bunch of factors to this.

Why doesn't everyone buy the cheapest pipe if its only going to be 1-2 HP anyway? Because if its only 1-2 HP I would rather have a quiet pipe. But I know this is not true. The louder the pipe, the more flow, the more power. Now go ahead and correct my ignorances, just be a little more detailed and not so general

:)

sc400ex_rider
05-15-2007, 10:14 AM
use a flowmaster they rock!!! if you make a quiet one i will buy it

400exrider707
05-15-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by dariusld
I'm no expert and know nothing. But there are so many things wrong or way to general or vague or not specific enough with these statements, even if we are talking about the 400ex. Less restriction is not ALWAYS better. Most high horsepower engine perform best with no muffler and short pipes. And there are probably a bunch of factors to this.

Why doesn't everyone buy the cheapest pipe if its only going to be 1-2 HP anyway? Because if its only 1-2 HP I would rather have a quiet pipe. But I know this is not true. The louder the pipe, the more flow, the more power. Now go ahead and correct my ignorances, just be a little more detailed and not so general

:)

Think about what you are saying. There is a lot that goes into exhaust design. How can you say less backpressure will equal more power? That is very untrue. So if I unbolt my headpipe and run no exhaust at all, Im going to have more power? Absolutely not. You need an exhaust to aid in scavenging the burnt fuel mixture. Like you said there are a bunch of factors. This is why if you were to purchase an exhaust system for your car or truck you cant buy an 8" exhaust system... that tubing would be way to big, and cause a loss in power more than likely. A diesel with really high compression and turbo motors usually run 4", and 5" for heavily modified motors. You wont see that sized on smaller motors. Truth is you are running a very small motor when compared to what else is out there (not quads, but every motor) and they need to use a smaller diameter exhaust. The motor can only flow so much, having an exhaust that is capable of flowing for a V8 motor, is not going to be the hot setup on your .4 liter single cylinder. I can almost guarantee you will lose power over your stock setup. Most people who do exhausts like this think they have gained power, while it might seem that way with the new found noise, it usually is not.

As to why people dont purcahse the cheapes exhaust system... that I cant answer, some people just like spending money. I think you will find searching these boards, that most 400ex owners use an HMF slip-on, which is one of the least expensive exhaust systems you can buy.

What kind of schooling and background do you have?

Also like I asked before, what makes you think this will work, have you done any homework on this?

54warrior
05-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Can't you take the headpipe off of a 400EX and grind down the welds on the inside to get greater flow? I know several that have done this with HMF's, Pro-Circuits, WB, etc...

The two most common setups for quads are tapered systems and stepped systems. On some machines one works better than another. These companies do alot of research and testing on these pipes. Simply bending up some tubing and slapping a universal type canister on there will not yield great results.

400exrider707
05-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by 54warrior
Can't you take the headpipe off of a 400EX and grind down the welds on the inside to get greater flow? I know several that have done this with HMF's, Pro-Circuits, WB, etc...

The two most common setups for quads are tapered systems and stepped systems. On some machines one works better than another. These companies do alot of research and testing on these pipes. Simply bending up some tubing and slapping a universal type canister on there will not yield great results.

Exactly. I have also ground down the welds in my headpipe and didnt notice a bit of difference.

parkers30
05-15-2007, 01:53 PM
I hope you realize how close the brake caliper comes during full rear travel. I know the Sparks on my old bike had a dent from a clump of mud on the caliper.

wrobben
05-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Again all i have to say is WHY NOT. Everything around you has started from an idea. I dont care about any of the cons of it, its an idea that i intend to keep.

400exrider707
05-15-2007, 03:50 PM
Again all i have to say is WHY NOT. Everything around you has started from an idea. I dont care about any of the cons of it, its an idea that i intend to keep.

That would make perfect sense to me if this idea hadn't already been beat to death by hundreds of large aftermarket exhaust companies, with a lot of research and development.

Parkers30 also brings up a good point, did you check to see that it will clear? Like I have said before, I commend people for trying to make their own stuff, but have you done any of the foot work first. Just building stuff and slapping it on with no calculations or tests or even some ideas thought out before hand, well that is just sloppy cob work to me. If you have done any work on this before hand then I applaud you. Let us know how it works.

dariusld
05-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Just building stuff and slapping it on with no calculations or tests or even some ideas thought out before hand, well that is just sloppy cob work to me.

I do things this way sometimes. I just figure if it doesn't work, I can put the old stuff back on. I'm out a little money and a little time, no biggie. And gained some knowledge;)

wrobben
05-15-2007, 05:11 PM
i really dont have to worry about the clearence i dont do any jumping or anything like that so i should be good there. Really i dont care about gaining much in HP idc if i gain any im looking for a good loud sound so people can hear me coming from mile away lol. Also the good feeling of saying i made that and there is no other one out there like that.

54warrior
05-15-2007, 06:41 PM
im looking for a good loud sound so people can hear me coming from mile away lol. Also the good feeling of saying i made that and there is no other one out there like that.

I commend you for wanting to build stuff yourself and using some good ole fashioned American ingenuity. I too prefer to do what I can for/by myself as well. There comes a point though where you have to realize that while whatever you may be scheming seems like a good idea, it really isn't.

Furthermore, if your just wanting to make it louder and ANNOY the people in your neighborhood and ANNOY the people that ride with you and ANNOY the tree huggers, your only making the entire situation BAD for the rest of us. Basically what your saying is that you want to be a loud, obnoxious, hey everyone look at me I'm loud but can't ride little punk then I guess.

Making it louder and not faster only makes you look like a jagoff.

ryanh250ex
05-16-2007, 07:44 AM
this amuses me.....

Guess what virtually ALL aftermarket ATV exhausts are......glasspacks! the silencers are filled with FIBERGLASS packing!

:rolleyes:

quadgod440ex
05-16-2007, 08:42 AM
Bro just build the exhaust and shoot up some pictures. Everyones got there own opinions. You should have known when you started the thread , people were gonna like it and people were gonna hate it. Just something you deal with. Build the exhaust,put it on the bike, shoot some pics, Let us know how you like. End of story job well done . know what i mean man?

dariusld
05-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by quadgod440ex
Bro just build the exhaust and shoot up some pictures. Everyones got there own opinions. You should have known when you started the thread , people were gonna like it and people were gonna hate it. Just something you deal with. Build the exhaust,put it on the bike, shoot some pics, Let us know how you like. End of story job well done . know what i mean man?

Amen brotha :devil:

ohiomotoxer
05-16-2007, 12:06 PM
''Also the good feeling of saying i made that and there is no other one out there like that"

I can relate.

Who cares, you are a backyard fabricator, you don't plan on selling them, its just a fun project.

I commend you for trying to make something on your own.

It CAN'T be any worse than this coffee can thing one person made.

flauge
05-17-2007, 07:49 AM
Think about what you are saying. There is a lot that goes into exhaust design. How can you say less backpressure will equal more power? That is very untrue. So if I unbolt my headpipe and run no exhaust at all, Im going to have more power? Absolutely not. You need an exhaust to aid in scavenging the burnt fuel mixture. Like you said there are a bunch of factors. This is why if you were to purchase an exhaust system for your car or truck you cant buy an 8" exhaust system... that tubing would be way to big, and cause a loss in power more than likely. A diesel with really high compression and turbo motors usually run 4", and 5" for heavily modified motors. You wont see that sized on smaller motors. Truth is you are running a very small motor when compared to what else is out there (not quads, but every motor) and they need to use a smaller diameter exhaust. The motor can only flow so much, having an exhaust that is capable of flowing for a V8 motor, is not going to be the hot setup on your .4 liter single cylinder. I can almost guarantee you will lose power over your stock setup. Most people who do exhausts like this think they have gained power, while it might seem that way with the new found noise, it usually is not.

As to why people dont purcahse the cheapes exhaust system... that I cant answer, some people just like spending money. I think you will find searching these boards, that most 400ex owners use an HMF slip-on, which is one of the least expensive exhaust systems you can buy.

What kind of schooling and background do you have?

Also like I asked before, what makes you think this will work, have you done any homework on this?
I agree with you with oversized exhaust piping causing power loss. If its too large velocity wont be as high and scavenging wont be as good, which will hurt power, especially in the low end.
Backpressure and velocity is key.

pats2007450er
06-02-2007, 08:11 PM
we have been waiting a long time to see this exaust.are you gonna build it or not.do you have any progress or pics.:ermm:

m.h.s.c.#527
06-03-2007, 12:44 AM
backpressuree means lowend gain no backpressure means topend gains

DEVINF450R
06-03-2007, 03:08 PM
m.h.s.c.#527--backpressuree means lowend gain no backpressure means topend gains

He is right...Curtis Sparks Lagre Bore Exhaust is for top end gains... and LOUD SUCKS!!! Even racers are now having to turn down the sound. sound REDUCERS are now becoming a big thing, ala DB Dawg. not good for our sport...but I think your idea will work, if not then keep playing with the endcap...make it smaller

XXXRACER165
06-04-2007, 04:32 PM
I just took a Cobra aluminum ATV exhaust and stuffed a sparky module inside behind the core. Makes it fairly quiet & makes more than 7hp on my 440 motor.

400exrider707
06-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by XXXRACER165
I just took a Cobra aluminum ATV exhaust and stuffed a sparky module inside behind the core. Makes it fairly quiet & makes more than 7hp on my 440 motor.

Lets see the dyno and the a/f chart to prove it then.

XXXRACER165
06-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Lets see the dyno and the a/f chart to prove it then.

Your flames don't bother me. I got the sheet right in my hand. With the stock pipe 35hp and with my modded pipe 42hp. I threw out the torque specs cause I don't care about that, I'm all about the ponies.

400exrider707
06-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by XXXRACER165
Your flames don't bother me. I got the sheet right in my hand. With the stock pipe 35hp and with my modded pipe 42hp. I threw out the torque specs cause I don't care about that, I'm all about the ponies.

Horsepower means nothing, torque is the important measurement. Horsepower is just a mathematical figure which is found by using torque. Where was I flaming? I asked to see a dyno chart thats all... if you cant back it up, dont bother posting what your "pipe" did. A 7hp on a stock motor is completely amazing, on a built 440, I would assume the stock pipe would kill power, so its not that far fetched to me, I just wanted to see the chart. No flaming.;)

madsteam
06-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Nice thread i love how we have people that agree and disagree. Anyways post some pics when its done and maybe an audio so we can hear how it sounds.:D

quadgod440ex
06-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by madsteam
Nice thread i love how we have people that agree and disagree. Anyways post some pics when its done and maybe an audio so we can hear how it sounds.:D

Yea what he said!

culichi
06-07-2007, 06:04 PM
An uncle of mine did a homemade exhaust for his 450 husvarna too and it works great and sounds real good hope you can get it done well!:macho

Ghost-Rider
06-09-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by sc400ex_rider
use a flowmaster they rock!!!

LOL !!!!!

Would sound like a coffe can on the end on a pipe dude.Dont think enough flow to get past them baffles and sound good still....maybe on a V-Force:blah: ....still probly sound crappy.

jonboy
06-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Hey, I say give the kid a chance, who knows he may end up being one of the next premier exhaust builders for all we know. It all starts with an idea. If the pipe gets built and doesnt perform the way he likes it he can tweak on it until it does. That is called R&D to the big companies. I say go for it and surprise us with your enginuity. I enjoy doing projects like this myself, I can afford the new products but, I would rather learn something and maybe save some dough in the progress. Oh and by the way 400exrider707 you never did reply back to me about my A-arm mod that I did. I truely enjoyed your input. Constuctive critisism is great for ideas. ;)

skragg
06-10-2007, 09:34 PM
dat looks awesum dude i luv it i made a piston and con rod for my bike in metal work after tuning and then dynoing the bike i had made 12hp!!!!!!! all from aluminium nicked from the shop teachers office and 100 new zealand dollars worth of titanium (i made the rings and cylinder sleeve out of titanium)

quadgod440ex
06-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Can we atleast get a pic of this thing ?

86 Quad R
06-13-2007, 04:05 PM
it's been over a month now........... where's em pics at? :devil:

KB Motorsports
06-13-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
it's been over a month now........... where's em pics at? :devil:

haha

skragg
06-14-2007, 07:29 PM
cum on dude get cracking on dat exhaust i wana c u prove the non believers wrong :devil:

flauge
06-15-2007, 07:33 AM
dam now I'm starting to get impatient!:scary:

400exrapes
06-17-2007, 02:16 PM
this sounds mad cool please put some pictures up and sound clips

wrobben
06-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Hey guys sorry i havent been on in some time, ive been really busy having graduated from high school and looking for a decent job its all been really time consuming and now im working a night shift everynight 9 hours so been pretty tired, i got some pics coming up and i got a sound clip as well.

wrobben
06-19-2007, 02:03 PM
i decided to go with a strap for the main mount on the exhaust it turned out nicely

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/ghstsldier/DCFC0207.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/ghstsldier/DCFC0208.jpg

Standing about 6 foot behind the exhaust when its running u can feel the exhaust shooting around in a circle like motion from the spiral core.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/ghstsldier/DCFC0209.jpg

Im using a piece of flex tubing for the mock up and it makes a great pattern for the pipe that needs to be made
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/ghstsldier/DCFC0212.jpg

wrobben
06-19-2007, 02:06 PM
if u look at one of my tires u can c alot of tread on them yet they are the stock tires which tells u its got pretty low hours.

wrobben
06-19-2007, 02:08 PM
the glasspack actually looks pretty good on the 400 better then i thought it would.

wrobben
06-19-2007, 02:24 PM
the spiral louvered core increases exhaust velocity and decreases some back pressure.

jonboy
06-20-2007, 12:19 AM
looking good so far keep us posted

400exrider707
06-20-2007, 05:39 AM

Standing about 6 foot behind the exhaust when its running u can feel the exhaust shooting around in a circle like motion from the spiral core.

the spiral core has nothing to do with it, all atv's with a pipe do this...

I will say it does look better than what I was originally thinking. For your hanger though I would get a piece of rubber or something to put between the pipe and the hanger, the metal on metal will wear something out to the point where it will break.

400exrapes
06-20-2007, 05:52 AM
hah nice try and get a sound clip and it looks like a polished stock 300ex exhaust/muffler

wrobben
06-20-2007, 12:48 PM
i dont really have a way to prove it except to get it to a dynojet, but i have a trailtech computer and with my stock exhaust i could get it up to 65mph yesterday i hit 70mph, i havent messed with the jetting at all its starts fine and ran well it even popped less on decel.

400exrider707
06-20-2007, 01:05 PM
i dont really have a way to prove it except to get it to a dynojet, but i have a trailtech computer and with my stock exhaust i could get it up to 65mph yesterday i hit 70mph, i havent messed with the jetting at all its starts fine and ran well it even popped less on decel.

If it pops less, this means either A) it was already jetted at one point for an exhuast, or B) it is in fact more restrictive than whatever you took off of there. How in gods name would this increase your top speed? The motor still turns the same amount of RPMS and the gearing is the same...:confused:

400exrapes
06-20-2007, 01:13 PM
i still want to hear what it sounds like

86 Quad R
06-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by 400exrapes
i still want to hear what it sounds like

wutt he said. :devil:

mx825
06-20-2007, 04:13 PM
How in gods name would this increase your top speed? The motor still turns the same amount of RPMS and the gearing is the same...:confused:

i'm wondering the same thing.

bwamos
06-22-2007, 08:50 AM
How in gods name would this increase your top speed? The motor still turns the same amount of RPMS and the gearing is the same...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 400ex in stock form (stock pipe, filter, gearing and tires) rarely if ever is able to hit it's rev limit at top speed. Adding some more power is usually able to get a bit more top end out of the 400ex.

From what I've heard over the years. I don't own a 400ex.. just passing on what I've heard from people who know the 400ex.

400exrider707
06-22-2007, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by bwamos

The 400ex in stock form (stock pipe, filter, gearing and tires) rarely if ever is able to hit it's rev limit at top speed. Adding some more power is usually able to get a bit more top end out of the 400ex.

From what I've heard over the years. I don't own a 400ex.. just passing on what I've heard from people who know the 400ex. [/QUOTE]

It doesn't really gain any top speed then, it never hit it in the first place, the top speed still hasn't physically changed, its just able to reach it then.

wrobben
06-22-2007, 11:23 AM
all i know is i couldnt get it past 65 and now it does 70 i cant explain it, im wondering the same thing too.

wrobben
06-22-2007, 11:25 AM
also it idles a bit to high, even with the stock exhaust ive got a 50 pilot jet does that mean i need to go down a size, the idle screw is all the way down.

JDRider
07-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Ok, I've read every reply on the tread. I have to reply now.

Wrobben, I am proud of you. Hold your ground, go forward, move ahead, advance.

I've built countless item from scratch. My first quad was a motorcycle converted to a quad. It was a 1972 kawasaki F7 175 enduro. I still have this quad. I built it back in 1986. I couldn't afford a factory machine so I made my own.

My next quad was a 1976 Yamaha XT500 dirt bike. I converted it back in 1990. I still have it. Tons of low end torque, not much rev though. I couldn't afford a factory machine so I built my own again.

My current quad is a 2005 KFX400. I removed all the innards to the muffler. I replaced the inlet pipe with a new one that is centered to the inlet of the muffler. I then built a very advanced baffle system. My goal was to have a good flowing, yet quiet exhaust. I have achieved this goal. All this is done and from the outside it still looks factory original.

My point........ Today, I can afford any quad I want. I can afford any exhaust I want. But I chose to build my own exhaust because in my past I was forced to be innovative. I had to improvise. My product wasn't the fastest, it wasn't the best. But I had a pride that no one could understand. So I side with Wrobben. Even if his muffler doesn't provide him with the performance results that a aftermarket exhaust might provide. He will build a pride that can't be bought out of a catalog.

America was built on the innovative ideas of the past. We have lost this innovative spirit in this country because we always feel there is something better out there anyway, so why try to build something different. I say to every creative minded person out there, THINK IT, BUILD IT, R&D IT, IMPROVE IT, USE IT, then sit back and enjoy the God given talent that he has given you.

Thank you for your time, JDRider

madsteam
07-03-2007, 10:53 AM
Very nice^^^^^^ I wish i had the talent to weld. I have some ideas that would work for me, but i never have the time due to working all the time. Any free time i due have i try to use to ride. I do have a lot of respect for guys that build their own. I think it show ingenuity and the confidence in yourself.:)

wrobben
07-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Thank You JDRider, thats like what i was trying to explain but didnt know how to word it.

Originally posted by JDRider

I've built countless item from scratch. My first quad was a motorcycle converted to a quad. It was a 1972 kawasaki F7 175 enduro. I still have this quad. I built it back in 1986. I couldn't afford a factory machine so I made my own.

My next quad was a 1976 Yamaha XT500 dirt bike. I converted it back in 1990. I still have it. Tons of low end torque, not much rev though. I couldn't afford a factory machine so I built my own again.

My current quad is a 2005 KFX400. I removed all the innards to the muffler. I replaced the inlet pipe with a new one that is centered to the inlet of the muffler. I then built a very advanced baffle system. My goal was to have a good flowing, yet quiet exhaust. I have achieved this goal. All this is done and from the outside it still looks factory original.

My point........ Today, I can afford any quad I want. I can afford any exhaust I want. But I chose to build my own exhaust because in my past I was forced to be innovative. I had to improvise. My product wasn't the fastest, it wasn't the best. But I had a pride that no one could understand. So I side with Wrobben. Even if his muffler doesn't provide him with the performance results that a aftermarket exhaust might provide. He will build a pride that can't be bought out of a catalog.

America was built on the innovative ideas of the past. We have lost this innovative spirit in this country because we always feel there is something better out there anyway, so why try to build something different. I say to every creative minded person out there, THINK IT, BUILD IT, R&D IT, IMPROVE IT, USE IT, then sit back and enjoy the God given talent that he has given you.

xxnightraven73x
07-04-2007, 04:03 PM

^^^^^^^^ that has to be one of the best things ive ever seen anyone say.ive been building many different things for a few years now(cars,a trike,trucks,exhausts) and its usually turned out good but when it doesnt oh well go back and fix whats messed up. im getting ready to venture on to a dual exhaust for my raptor next. good job on your build the hell with anyone who doesnt like it if its what you wanted run it

400exrider707
07-04-2007, 04:12 PM
THINK IT, BUILD IT, R&D IT, IMPROVE IT, USE IT, then sit back and enjoy the God given talent that he has given you.

First of all good post, though I dont agree with it all of it, still nice.

R&D and improvement should come long before build it....

We have tools now to allow us to test anything before its actually built, its great.

I would take pride in building something myself and so should everyone else... if its nice... thats all. I commend you on building your own exhaust, now you definitely need to get it jetted. Your jetting is WAY off, so please list all mods to the motor and intake/exhaust as well as if you are running a lid or not, and we can help you out with that.

REDRIDDER
07-04-2007, 05:20 PM
wrobben (IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME) LOL....

krt400ex
07-04-2007, 07:04 PM
also it idles a bit to high, even with the stock exhaust ive got a 50 pilot jet does that mean i need to go down a size, the idle screw is all the way down.

generally, the pilot should be a 42 and the screw 2- 2 1/2 turns out. try that. since the screw is all the way in, the pilot circiut is going to be lean even with the huge pilot jet. that would be the reason for the high idle. pipe looks nice dude. i wanna hear what it sounds like

wrobben
07-05-2007, 11:50 PM
i should mention it is a 450r carb, no mods to the motor, just a k&n air filter without an airbox lid

the carb has a 50 pilot and the jet im not sure i dont remember lol, ill have to look

krt400ex
07-07-2007, 03:56 PM
haha, i should have looked in your sig. oh well. i would still turn the fuel screw out to at least 2 turns and start from there. if it is all the way in...well as i said b4

JDRider
07-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Wrobben, I hope you don't mind but I'd like to continue with the "look inside the inventers mind" if I may.

xxnightraven73x, I thank you for your compliment about my last post. Good luck on the dual exhaust idea. I am sure you probably drive down the road, sit at lunch and any other free time, imagining the building of this project. You have to consider the materials involved, the capability of your tools and equipment, your own capabilities, the cost factor, the final look and appearance, and performance.

More goes into a "build from scatch project" than most think. On top of the time, blood, sweat, and effort, there is always the doubt factor. People don't realize that projects are started with great enthusiasum, but overtime, this doubt and curiosity begins to build in their head..... hmmmmm, this sure is taking longer than I thought, it's turning out heavier than I expected, My welds could look better, ect.

The difference between a finished project and a non-finished project is getting past the doubt factor. Not only your own doubt but other people being judgemental of your handywork, or, can I use the word jealous instead of judgemental. All of us should look back and think of times when perhaps we should have been more encouraging to someone, yet due to our jealousy, we stood neutral or even negative.

Next thought on the inventive mind. Ever gone to a magic show?? I have, only to be dissapointed. If someone tells me they will make something dissapear, I believe them, I don't need to see it done. What I want to know, and how I will be most impressed, is to see HOW they did it. I believe there is only one person that can perform miracles, God. Anyone else, there has to be a mechanical feat behind it. Show me the mechanicals and I will be vastly entertained.

Back to the Dual exhaust build. Ok here's the shocker for many of you. I would rather spend $50.00 on an experiment building an idea and throwing it into to garbage and start over. Than spending $2.00 on a light bulb and dropping and breaking it.

Everything I learned from the build project will stay with me for the rest of my life. I also learned to work with and manipulate metal. I learned first hand what works and what doesn't. None of us knew what the word "HOT" meant, til we burned our fingers. People could tell us all they wanted. It wasn't til we felt it ourselves that we learned.

At what age do we as individuals start listening to what someone tells us and we believe it to be so. For some of us, we question everything til the day we die. We all have different filters that we allow ourselves to just agree, or to question. I ask, how restrictive is your acceptance filter?

Many inventer minded people go along thinking, "hmmm, yes, that is a good product, but, maybe they missed one small curve, or a little tweek here or there and I could stumble upon an even better idea". Admit it, all of you, wouldn't it be great to stumble opon the one great idea that you can sell and make money off of?If all you do is buy marketed products, you will never stumble across that one great idea.

So once again I say, use your imagination. Often times I will start a project only to revise it 2, 3, maybe 10 times before it's done, only to have a better finished idea than when I started. But it never would have happened if I didn't atleast get out the tools and materials to begin with!!!

Thanks for your time, JDRider

xxnightraven73x
07-08-2007, 04:35 AM
^^^^^^ thats another great post
id rather spend my time tring my own thoughts and time and tools on my projects rather than spending a large ammount of cash for something someone else made.and when im done unless i build another one or someone else is as creative as me ill have the only one like it.cheers to all of us who think outside the box :macho

hendershot106
07-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by xxnightraven73x
^^^^^^ thats another great post
id rather spend my time tring my own thoughts and time and tools on my projects rather than spending a large ammount of cash for something someone else made.and when im done unless i build another one or someone else is as creative as me ill have the only one like it.cheers to all of us who think outside the box :macho

i reaallly like how ur thinkin raven-------- this applies to every aspect of a bike build, not just an exhaust---- it is exactly how the 450r to 400ex carb/shock conversions started--- how homemade gussets started-- how port and polishing was born-- (and furthermore--- its how every great successfull company in our industry/sport began its production---- (anybody remember when the hmf exhausts came out for $170- my best friend was like--- its nice immma try it----- i said naaawww--- its cheap-- no good-- moral of the story is i have a hmf ON my 400ex and the slip on i had on my 06 450 last year suits me better than that 700 POS white bros carbon pro 2 exhaust i just HAD to have!!!

xxnightraven73x
07-09-2007, 05:00 PM
thank you i apply that thinking into every build i do be it a car truck bike wheeler anything. this is how great ideas start how do you think lte and barkers and dmc started doing duals by someone saying gee duals make killer power on a car why not a wheeler too.and thats what ill be doing ive already got a pretty rough idea what im going to do but i need to get the pipe and other header before i start cutting

JDRider
07-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Oh, yeah, SO TRUE. I almost forgot one of the most important part of building.

Good for you to mention it nightraven, you have the only one made, it is unique, special to you, good for you to catch that.

Something also, if you remember a show called "Tool Time". The main character named Tim Allen made the statement. "It isn't really yours unless you built it". When I heard that statement I stood up and cheered right then and there.

JDRider

wrobben
07-10-2007, 12:13 AM
haha man i love that show one of my favs, im glad i dont have his luck and fall through roofs and what not

400exrider707
07-10-2007, 07:00 AM
We all have different filters that we allow ourselves to just agree, or to question. I ask, how restrictive is your acceptance filter?

Well I only run UNIs so I'm not accepting any of this.... :blah:

JDRider
07-10-2007, 07:36 AM
Well I only run UNIs so I'm not accepting any of this....

Now that put a smile on my face. Very good 400exrider707.

JDRider

How the heck do I use the quote thing on this computer??

400exrider707
07-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Well I only run UNIs so I'm not accepting any of this....

Now that put a smile on my face. Very good 400exrider707.

JDRider

How the heck do I use the quote thing on this computer??

There is a little red button right above the post reply button... it says quote.....

wrobben
07-10-2007, 11:12 AM
i got a k&n and the air box lid is off also the clear tube that goes from the air box to under the gas tank has been removed to

400exrider707
07-10-2007, 11:24 AM
i got a k&n and the air box lid is off also the clear tube that goes from the air box to under the gas tank has been removed to

It was a joke, I think it went over your head bud.

wrobben
07-10-2007, 12:04 PM
lol i havent been keeping up with the posts my bad

atvhonda-rider
07-10-2007, 12:17 PM
sound clip sound clip!! rock on dude, keep the imagination, creativity!! what makes unique individuals stand out!

skragg
07-16-2007, 03:41 PM
i agree with jdrider building sumthang of ur own is way nastyer than catalog surfing

krt400ex
08-10-2007, 08:29 PM
bump....hows the pipe coming along? got a soundclip yet?

jonboy
08-18-2007, 01:21 AM
Yeah whats the deal here. lol! Inquiring minds want to know.

FourTrax300
09-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Id be alittle leary of cutting to much of the backpressure off, might be hard on the vavles, you need something there as the motor does sometime suck in air through the exaust, cold air on nice and hot vavles isnt a real good thing. but really a great idea, play with it and if you notice a gain and like the sound, awesome, if you loose power and really dont care for the sound, just keep your stock pipe around incase you wanna go back to it

A good tip to know is if you can hear your valves clattering or chattering thru your tail pipe you need more back pressure, plus also remember the motor does kind of relie on the exhuast to help stop the engin over spinning or running away

400exrider707
09-17-2007, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by FourTrax300
Id be alittle leary of cutting to much of the backpressure off, might be hard on the vavles, you need something there as the motor does sometime suck in air through the exaust, cold air on nice and hot vavles isnt a real good thing. but really a great idea, play with it and if you notice a gain and like the sound, awesome, if you loose power and really dont care for the sound, just keep your stock pipe around incase you wanna go back to it

A good tip to know is if you can hear your valves clattering or chattering thru your tail pipe you need more back pressure, plus also remember the motor does kind of relie on the exhuast to help stop the engin over spinning or running away

More of what you're saying relies on the headpipe design, not the muffler. The motor doesn't rely one single bit on the exhaust to keep it from spinning too fast, that would be the rev limiter built into the cdi....

Toadz400
09-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Any updates on the pipe or was it given up on?

hardtrailz400
09-27-2007, 01:57 PM
anyone heard this yet?

Hondamaster5505
09-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Ya know, i have a similar idea.

Well, being 14, money's is hard to come by while still paying your quad off. I was able to get a DMC dual system cheap so i got it.

I had an idea for a slip-on i wanted to do. I would try it, but wouldnt keep it cuz i have a full system. But i would probably sell them if they worked.

Okay, first i was gonna find a stock 400ex exhaust.
After that, I would gut it completely hollow.
Im gonna buy steel mesh, and wrap it into a 2in hole and insert it in the pipe.
Ill put packing around the reamaining space, so its basically a 2in exhaust, just like the hmf's.
I would cut the baffle out of the tip, custom paint the canister with heat paint, and try it to see if i can sell it.

Its kinda like a HMF, but a lot more afordable for people who unfortunately cant afford a brand name, i wanna help those people. Being 14, i LOVE designing and building stuff.

I can sit in my garage for hours trying to think of custom things i can do to my baby, like making my own airbox lid so i can have a free-flowing one and the stocker for wet conditions.

Fortunately, i only have $550 left to pay it off, (I got it for 1800 from a friend) and then i can fund my projects without having to worry about paying it off. Pretty good deal for a 05, right? =p

AMEN to all of us custom builders, who knows, maybe one of us will become famous one day for designing our own items?
-eric

Toadz400
09-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
Ya know, i have a similar idea.

Well, being 14, money's is hard to come by while still paying your quad off. I was able to get a DMC dual system cheap so i got it.

I had an idea for a slip-on i wanted to do. I would try it, but wouldnt keep it cuz i have a full system. But i would probably sell them if they worked.

Okay, first i was gonna find a stock 400ex exhaust.
After that, I would gut it completely hollow.
Im gonna buy steel mesh, and wrap it into a 2in hole and insert it in the pipe.
Ill put packing around the reamaining space, so its basically a 2in exhaust, just like the hmf's.
I would cut the baffle out of the tip, custom paint the canister with heat paint, and try it to see if i can sell it.

Its kinda like a HMF, but a lot more afordable for people who unfortunately cant afford a brand name, i wanna help those people. Being 14, i LOVE designing and building stuff.

I can sit in my garage for hours trying to think of custom things i can do to my baby, like making my own airbox lid so i can have a free-flowing one and the stocker for wet conditions.

Fortunately, i only have $550 left to pay it off, (I got it for 1800 from a friend) and then i can fund my projects without having to worry about paying it off. Pretty good deal for a 05, right? =p

AMEN to all of us custom builders, who knows, maybe one of us will become famous one day for designing our own items?
-eric

You should look into going for Engineering when it comes time for school. I would get started on that now though, ha.

sleepinR
10-02-2007, 10:37 PM
i've made a few straight exhaust systems for my scrambler 500, just experimenting with different headers and just expanding a straight 2 inch pipe back to before the grab bar....after having a full system aftermarket exhaust on and then making a straight pipe with the after market header the power increase was amazing...the aftermarket didnt even compare when it came to the power out put through the entire powerband...i was amazed. At first I was worried about not getting enough backpressure and burning a valve but the bend in the header provides enough and i've been running it for about 5 months now with no problem at all...not easy on the ears tho that's for sure...mite not be a good idea if ya have neighbors close by lol

That400exGuy
10-03-2007, 03:07 PM
sound clip!! :D

Toadz400
10-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by sleepinR
i've made a few straight exhaust systems for my scrambler 500, just experimenting with different headers and just expanding a straight 2 inch pipe back to before the grab bar....after having a full system aftermarket exhaust on and then making a straight pipe with the after market header the power increase was amazing...the aftermarket didnt even compare when it came to the power out put through the entire powerband...i was amazed. At first I was worried about not getting enough backpressure and burning a valve but the bend in the header provides enough and i've been running it for about 5 months now with no problem at all...not easy on the ears tho that's for sure...mite not be a good idea if ya have neighbors close by lol

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=315011

Very good information regarding back pressure and it's effects on an engine. Basically overall it shows that back pressure actually hurts an engine (power wise) but that doesn't mean throwing a 3" pipe on a 1.6L Civic (like all ricers out there). You need to have the most velocity with the least amount of back pressure. Also, the whole burning a valve because of no back pressure is a myth.

250exkid
10-20-2007, 11:33 AM
sound clips???