PDA

View Full Version : exhaust cutout question

coolex
05-11-2007, 09:30 AM
soon ill be getting a 93-97 lt1 camaro, and plan on gettign a cutout for the exhaust right after the headers, my friends dad keeps telling me ill suck out a exhaust valve from no back pressure and ruin the whole engine, i dont think anything will happen at all, also i plan on running it open alot so will anything even happen if i run it basically open headers thanks

300exOH
05-11-2007, 09:35 AM
It won't hurt anything. Race cars run open headers and suffer no damage from it. It's basically a "wives tale".

coolex
05-11-2007, 09:41 AM
i was just makign sure because he tells me he knows people that burnt up valves from this before ( could be lying idk) also race cars have much more built up engines than a lt1

05-11-2007, 09:46 AM
well i've been into LS1s for years and years and i've had manual and electric cutouts.... you wont mess anything up on your car... you will probably want to put it directly behind or before the rear axle though.... because if you mount it at the headers it will be annoying as hell and rattle anything loose in the car....

coolex
05-11-2007, 09:49 AM
thanks for the advise, is ur beofre or after the cat

300exOH
05-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by coolex
i was just makign sure because he tells me he knows people that burnt up valves from this before ( could be lying idk) also race cars have much more built up engines than a lt1

Many people seem to think that if you run open headers that it will suck cold air into the engine causing a bent valve. This might be true if you ran no headers/manifolds at all:eek2: but I doubt it would hurt anything even then.

05-11-2007, 10:08 AM
cat? i've never ran cats where i'm from... if you use an offroad pipe put it near the rear axles if you still have cats you better put it about a foot off the header collectors or there wont be any point in putting a cutout on there.

www.evlls1.com is my site btw lots of LS1 info on there

coolex
05-11-2007, 10:25 AM
thanks for the site im gettign a lt1 not a ls1 but thanks anyways, the exhaust will problay be stock so itl be the headers, down into a y pipe then a little straight pipe (thats were i plan on putign the electric cut out then i only need one ) then the cat then the muffler

coolex
05-11-2007, 10:42 AM
evls1 i like the tree on ur site to practice reaction times,i got a .532 edit now i got a .516

05-11-2007, 12:28 PM
try LS1.com, LS2.com, camaroz28.com, net, etc... lots of good forums out there with plenty of information.. i went from knowing nothing about a LS1 to pulling anything and everything out of one and replacing it pretty much just by talking to folks, reading up, etc

Old Head
05-11-2007, 05:18 PM
The tree was fun even though i've had 6 korona's alot of red lites and the rest was .5 to .531.:)