PDA

View Full Version : Searching for a 400EX Motor

Fudpucker
05-11-2007, 07:25 AM
I bought a 400ex with an aftermarket pipe. The pipe masked the sound of bearings going bad.... Looks like the guy before me never changed the oil. Anyhow, can anyone help me locate a decent stock 400ex motor?

400exrider707
05-11-2007, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Fudpucker
I bought a 400ex with an aftermarket pipe. The pipe masked the sound of bearings going bad.... Looks like the guy before me never changed the oil. Anyhow, can anyone help me locate a decent stock 400ex motor?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just replace the bearings and rebuild the one you have?

Fudpucker
05-11-2007, 08:06 AM
Depends on how you look at it. I only have the left side cover removed. The starter clutch, flywheel bearings, & starter shaft bearing all have significant signs of corrosion. They all need replaced. I'm not sure what else I am going to find once I crack open the case. Since the same oil is used in the tranny I may be replacing more than its worth (All speculation at this point). I do not have the right side cover off yet, nor have I split the halves yet. I would like to wait until winter to rebuild the "Bad Bearing Motor" (Off peak riding season). If I locate a reasonable drop in replacement I can start riding a whole lot quicker!

rooster300ex
05-11-2007, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Fudpucker
Depends on how you look at it. I only have the left side cover removed. The starter clutch, flywheel bearings, & starter shaft bearing all have significant signs of corrosion. They all need replaced. I'm not sure what else I am going to find once I crack open the case. Since the same oil is used in the tranny I may be replacing more than its worth (All speculation at this point). I do not have the right side cover off yet, nor have I split the halves yet. I would like to wait until winter to rebuild the "Bad Bearing Motor" (Off peak riding season). If I locate a reasonable drop in replacement I can start riding a whole lot quicker!

If you have the money to do that. Then you should have plenty to rebuild the engine you have now. I know what ya mean about wanting to just get to riding as quick as possible.

I would search on ebay for a replacement motor.

XR650
05-11-2007, 11:40 PM
I have a 2002 stock 400ex complete running motor, just took it out for my xr650l conversion.
It runs fine, does not smoke, I am looking to part it out on e-bay soon, but at a decent price I will sell whole, shoot me a PM with your best offer.

XR650
05-13-2007, 08:42 PM
?

Fudpucker
05-14-2007, 02:07 PM
I sent a PM.... Let me know if you didn't get it... I'll send it again.. or.... e-mail me "dshawgo@cescowildblue.com"

Thanks,
Dana

jedneck
05-17-2007, 04:56 AM
I have a 2000 bottom end with a hinson basket in it. The bad thing is the swingarm boolt hold is broke off so it needs new cases.