PDA

View Full Version : Making sure engine is oiling?

rooster300ex
05-10-2007, 10:44 PM
When I get my engine back for my 300ex the machanic said i'll have to make sure its oiling. What is the proper way to do that?

brokenmike
05-11-2007, 02:43 PM
On a 300 ex there is a external oil line that runs from the clutch cover to the cylinder head and lubes the cam and rockers.You loosen up the banjo bolt that goes to the head and you take out the spark plug and hit the starter untill you get a steady flow of oil coming out of the loosened bolt.Then you can tighten up the bolt and put the spark plug in and start it up.Make sure you have the right ammount of oil in it.

rooster300ex
05-12-2007, 08:00 AM
Forgot to tell ya'll i'm putting a GDH oil cooler on. Seems I can use the sameway because its the kind that mounts up in the stock locations. It dumps cool oil on the rockers.

Sjorge450R
05-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
Forgot to tell ya'll i'm putting a GDH oil cooler on. Seems I can use the sameway because its the kind that mounts up in the stock locations. It dumps cool oil on the rockers.

DONT TAKE THE PLUG OUT!!!! just take the cap off. If you take the plug out and crank it, dirt and crap is going to get sucked in the motor. Just loosen the bolt at the clutch cover and just crank it over. Hell you can even leave the spark plug cap on since you will just be checking for flow. Its not like you are going to be riding it and racing it around.

brokenmike
05-12-2007, 08:28 PM
he said that he is getting his engine back from his mechanic so there wont be any dirt on the motor if the mechanic did a good job

Sjorge450R
05-13-2007, 05:06 AM
still why take the chance? I would NEVER do that especially after i did work. Hey Rooster, why isnt your mech doing this?

rooster300ex
05-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
still why take the chance? I would NEVER do that especially after i did work. Hey Rooster, why isnt your mech doing this?

I took the motor out of the quad to be worked on, and i'm re-installing it . He said when I get the motor installed I need to make sure its oiling. Also i'm going to be putting a GDH oil cooler on when I do install the motor.

Aceman
05-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
still why take the chance? I would NEVER do that especially after i did work.

This REALLY isn't a big deal. I've done it many times, if your quad is clean, you blow out around the spark plug and then remove it, you will have no problems.