PDA

View Full Version : problem, I soaked my head in carb cleaner!

YZROOSTINYA
10-15-2002, 04:42 AM
well i was supposed to have my kit friday that i ordered from marcums. well its tuesday and its still not here. i put my head in carb cleaner on thursday to remove the carbon from the exhaust ports. now the prob is that there are o-rings that go under the valve guides. i totally foegot about them when i put it in the cleaner. you can not see the o-rings and i do not think they really seal anything. the head sat in the cleaner all weekend. do you think i need to pull the guides and replace the o-rings or do you think it can wait till early next year when i get new valves and gey my head ported?

i am pissed because i wanted to have my cylinder to the shop so it would be ready to put back together today but now i do not think i am not gonna make it this weekend. and now the seal thing!!!!

YZROOSTINYA
10-15-2002, 07:29 AM
someone ???

c'mon you have to know

bmf400ex
10-15-2002, 07:32 AM
i am not a mechanic but if u look at it this way, carb cleaner is meant to be put in the carb witch has a few gaskets (seals) itself, so if they are ok to be soaked in it, then whats the difference in seals in the head. I have personally soaked many different kinds of parts with seals in carb cleaner and have never had any problem.
for future advise, i know of some really good cleaner made by MOPAR that is combustion chamber cleaner. You spray it in the intake and let it sit over night, then fire it up and run it hard for about 5-10 minutes, and that would also go through the valves as well, it works and i recommend doing it once a year. It really cleans stuff out.

YZROOSTINYA
10-15-2002, 07:36 AM
kinda like GM top end cleaner i bet. i will look into that as there was a good amount of build-up in the exhaust tract. this is the first time i have taken aprt the top end of this machine(2nd four stoke) i used rebuild my yz all the time but that is a 2stroke.

i think it will be okay too. HOPEFULLY my parts will be here today

96300ex
10-15-2002, 07:50 AM
What's the problem, can't get the smell out of your hair?:D lol

i'd say if they look good reuse them, worst that happens is it smokes like a son of a gun and you gotta get new ones.

YZROOSTINYA
10-15-2002, 08:00 AM
hahaah

there under the guide so you cant see them. that whay i am up in the air about it. oh well well see....blue smoke that is....ahahaha

Ononewheel
10-16-2002, 10:09 AM
YZROOSTINYA, I agree with 96300ex. Give the valves a little shot of oil and put it on. Worst case scenerio it will smoke, but that is all. It probably not deteriorate the orings but they might swell, but they will go back.

Just my humble opinion.

R-Crazy
10-16-2002, 01:11 PM
well, o-rings are ment to seal, so they should have kept and carb cleaner out. But smoke is the worst that can happen.

dave

beerock
10-16-2002, 01:18 PM
I would say to spray some wd-40 on the valve tops and hope it seeps into the guides to moisturize them..

10-16-2002, 03:38 PM
DO NOT spray wd40 in there i repeat DO NOT!!
WD40 is a degreaser and has solvents in there that eat o rings....why do you think your not supposed to spray it on o ring chains

mcmike
10-16-2002, 05:19 PM
These o-rings must be tough, they put them in the second hottest part of the motor. I'd leave them alone and see what happens.

BigThumper33
10-16-2002, 05:35 PM
I have taken several powers technology classes and was stronger warned against having carb cleaner in contact with rubber parts. We are talking about the extremely harsh solvent right, the stuff that burns your eyes when you get near the bucket? If you are talking about just the carb cleaner spray out of the aersol can, i'm not sure on the harshness of that product.

YZROOSTINYA
10-17-2002, 04:38 AM
big thumper i m talking about the bucket, yes the stuff that EATS rubber. what i dont understand is your supposed to wash it off with water and it is supposedly ok to let it go down the drain. i recycle all my oil and try to use as many bio-degrdable environmentally safe products as possible.

the o-ring goes under the vlve guide when it is pressed into the head. it is such a tight fit i dont understand why they would need a o-ring anyhow. i am going to get my head ported early next year, so if it smokes i will just do it sooner. it will only take a week to take it apart and ported. no biggie