PDA

View Full Version : Walleye Fishing

Quadfather
05-10-2007, 04:50 PM
The walleye fishing is in full swing up here on Lake Erie. Went out two weeks ago to hit the jig bite on the reefs in the western basin, and boated well over 300 walleyes from Friday to Monday. Hit it again last weekend, and boated over 200 eyes for the weekend. The jig bite has pretty much wound down now, and the trolling bite is in full swing. Me and another buddy went out Wednesday, and boated our limit which included four walleyes well over six pounds, with another four between 5-6 pounds, plus a couple of eaters as a bonus.

Went out yesterday again, and my buddy boated two ten pound plus fish right off the bat. One went 31 1/2 inches, and the other just over 30 inches. Hitting it again tomorrow morning.

troutman561
05-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Damn those are nice walleye. There isnt any restrictions on eating them due to pollution or mercury?

4trax250x81
05-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Those are some nice eyes, our best this spring on the river was 22 1/2 inches, probably one of our better years as far as #'s of eyes we caught.

armoks
05-10-2007, 07:01 PM
NICE Walleye!!! Me and my brother used to fish all over Westren PA for them like mad men LOL. I wish I lived up near Lake Erie I'd be out every night!!! Good luck out there.

Quadfather
05-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by troutman561
Damn those are nice walleye. There isnt any restrictions on eating them due to pollution or mercury?

They say that you should only consume two meals of the fish a month. With the invasion of the zebra mussles, the water is cleaner than ever (they sit on the bottom and filter the water).

I've been eating them at least once a week for the past eight years, and I haven't started glowing yet.

dober250R
05-10-2007, 07:50 PM
I live in Temperance,MI. Which is right by Toledo, OH, which is right by Lake Erie. Walleye is good eats, but the perch is where it's at!! Catching 2 fish on the spreader at once, that's haulin in fish. I'm not a fan of fishing cause I find it boring, but perch fishing is sweet if they are hittin. And sheephead, suck!!! Anyone who knows Lake Erie, knows about sheephead.

CRich[814]
05-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by armoks
I wish I lived up near Lake Erie I'd be out every night!!!

trade me houses. i dont even care where your from, its gotta be better than here haha.

Quad18star
05-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Those are some nice size pickerel , but I have to ask , were they full of eggs ?? They should be spawning right now , and those big guys are the ones that should be thrown back to keep the lakes populated with fish for the next generations .

I keep the odd 5 or 6 pounder , but usually throw back anything over 4 lbs . Anything between 2 and 4 are your best eaters.

QuadFather ... were you the guy I was talking to a few months back that said goes fishing up past the Sudbury Ontario area?? If so , let me know when you're comming back up north.

Quadfather
05-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Those are some nice size pickerel , but I have to ask , were they full of eggs ?? They should be spawning right now , and those big guys are the ones that should be thrown back to keep the lakes populated with fish for the next generations .

There are a few different schools of thought on this subject. The ODNR (Ohio Department of Natural Resources) claims that there are well over 46 million (yes, 46 million) walleyes over the age of two years swimming in Lake Erie. They claim that the walleye population cannot, in no way, be hurt by sport fishermen with rod and reel. They also claim that all walleyes over 30 inches are at least nineteen years old, and have provided the lake with millions upon millions of eggs over the years, and have done more than their share of re-populating the lake. They also claim, that at this age, the walleyes are most likely dropping sterile eggs anyway, and are way past their spawning prime.

The best spawners are actually the four to eight year old fish, which would be approximately 18 to 26 inches.

Also, the peak of the spawn is usually about April 15th on Lake Erie. The ladies are long gone from the spawning grounds.

troutman561
05-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by dober250R
I live in Temperance,MI. Which is right by Toledo, OH, which is right by Lake Erie. Walleye is good eats, but the perch is where it's at!! Catching 2 fish on the spreader at once, that's haulin in fish. I'm not a fan of fishing cause I find it boring, but perch fishing is sweet if they are hittin. And sheephead, suck!!! Anyone who knows Lake Erie, knows about sheephead.

Sheephead??? im assuming these arnt the same that are in the ocean, fill me in, im not familiar with northern lake fish, what is the sheephead of fresh water?

armoks
05-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
back that said goes fishing up past the Sudbury Ontario area?? If so , let me know when you're comming back up north.

Might have been me, I used to go to a place just North of you called Duncan Lake and a place called Horwood Lake Lodge.

Me and the crew are thinking of starting back up doing a yearly trip up that way starting next sumer. Gotta give it to you Canuks theres nothing like a lake way out in the bush catching some great walleye and pike!!

Only fishing I've done on Erie so far has been Steelhead on the boat off of Walnut Creek in the fall that was a BLAST!!!!

DF400ex
05-10-2007, 10:43 PM
With college wrapping up this week I've been too busy to head to the lake. But this weekend my dad and I are going out for the first time for walleyes on Honeyoie (sp?) Lake in Western NY. I hear they are killing them with some silver and black Rappalas on a slow troll. Like I said, cannot wait.

Quad18star
05-11-2007, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by armoks
Might have been me, I used to go to a place just North of you called Duncan Lake and a place called Horwood Lake Lodge.

Me and the crew are thinking of starting back up doing a yearly trip up that way starting next sumer. Gotta give it to you Canuks theres nothing like a lake way out in the bush catching some great walleye and pike!!

Only fishing I've done on Erie so far has been Steelhead on the boat off of Walnut Creek in the fall that was a BLAST!!!!

Ah yes , it was you !!!!

Let me know when you come up that way ... my parents have their cottage not far from Duncan Lake . I'll show you an AWESOME lake for fishing ... walleye , pike, bass , whitefish , you name it . How big of a boat are you guys running , cuz this lake you have to go in a few miles and it gets kind of tight in a few areas . If you got a 4x4 quad , bring it up ... makes it easier to get into a few lakes , plus theres miles and miles and miles of trails and roads to ride.

You tell me what kind of fish you want to go after , and I'll hook you up with the fishing spots. Walleye opens for us on May 26th ... they're still spawning right now. Fishing is gunna be good though for that weekend ... the water temperature has already started warming up , so they should be biting !!!! :devil:

Quad18star
05-11-2007, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by Quadfather
There are a few different schools of thought on this subject. The ODNR (Ohio Department of Natural Resources) claims that there are well over 46 million (yes, 46 million) walleyes over the age of two years swimming in Lake Erie. They claim that the walleye population cannot, in no way, be hurt by sport fishermen with rod and reel. They also claim that all walleyes over 30 inches are at least nineteen years old, and have provided the lake with millions upon millions of eggs over the years, and have done more than their share of re-populating the lake. They also claim, that at this age, the walleyes are most likely dropping sterile eggs anyway, and are way past their spawning prime.

The best spawners are actually the four to eight year old fish, which would be approximately 18 to 26 inches.

Also, the peak of the spawn is usually about April 15th on Lake Erie. The ladies are long gone from the spawning grounds.

Ahhhh . Well if the lake isn't in danger , then I guess there's no harm done . I just hate to see lakes go dead because the spawners have all been caught ..... it's happened way too many times up in my end.

Like I mentioned to armoks , if you ever make it north of the border, let me know and I'll take you on a guided fishing trip. Hell from Erie , you can make it up to my place in about 7 hours and then from there we travel 2 hours north. It's surely worth the trip ... especially when you're the only boat on the water and you're catching some nice eaters . Shore lunch is always thrown in there too !!!!:D

Here's jsut a few little eaters for a midnight snack that my girlfriend and I caught within about an hour about 1000 feet in front of my parents cottage. We threw back a whole bunch more .. just kept these for a snack.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/Quad18star/IMG_0387.jpg

In front of my mom and dad's place . The lake is a few miles long and we were the only ones out there. This is what you could expect if you come up this way.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/Quad18star/IMG_0381.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/Quad18star/IMG_0379.jpg

Pappy
05-11-2007, 06:17 AM
nice fish! i havent ever caught anything that big:p

Quad18star
05-11-2007, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
nice fish! i havent ever caught anything that big:p

See ... that's what happens when you spend too much time working in the shop and not enough time on the water !!!! :p Get out there and fish ... the lunkers are waiting . :cool:

Quad18star
05-18-2007, 06:19 AM
First weekend of walleye fishing officially opens tomorrow morning ... May 24 long weekend :D . The amount of trucks , trailers and boats heading up north is CRAZY !!!!! I'm packing up and heading out to the cottage tonight at 5pm . I can't wait .... I'll get some pictures and hopefully the fish are bitting so I can net a few nice ones !!!