PDA

View Full Version : Tire Pressure for Drag Race?

speedy400
05-10-2007, 02:24 AM
hey all, I havnt been on these forums forever! but i have a quick question for ya all. I have a 92 camaro with a built 350 and a 6 speed (supposedly puts out 420hp) I have normal road tires on the back that are dry cracked a little and have about 1/3rd life left. I constantly have a problem with starting in 1st and getting anything of a holeshot in her sometimes through 3rd gear(spins) and this weekend i'm gunna bring her to the track and see what time she pulls in the 1/4. what tire pressure should I be running for the best holeshot? btw i'm not hoping for record breaking, shes my daily driver... just a little addrenline. thanks-darren

slvrhwk
05-10-2007, 06:09 AM
The easiest way to gage is to a burnout somewhere where you can look at your blackmarks. Start and keep lowering the tire pressure prob. 5lbs at a time until you notice the outsides of the tires are leaving darker marks then add just enough air pressure to make the marks even all the way across the contact patch.

To little air press.
the marks should look like this:
I I
I I
I I
I I

Just right
the marks should look
IIIIIII
IIIIIII
IIIIIII
IIIIIII

Sorry about the chessy visuals.

From the sound of your car you will have a very hard time getting it to hook up. Your best bet will prob leave off idle and ease into the gas through first. Until you get used to it and can learn to slip the clutch don't look for your 60' times to get below 2.0 unless the track is very well prepped.

BTW: Post some pics of your car.

Here's mine
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c294/slvrhwk/1of1/Pease.jpg

whiteboycustom
05-10-2007, 06:51 AM
get some drag radials and get her to hook up, and what about suspension still stock????

tat900
05-10-2007, 08:20 AM
Try running around 12-15 too little and you will slipthe tire off the bead too much and it will jsut spin got to test and tune and work with the pressures

00400exrider
05-10-2007, 12:15 PM
street tires are not ment to hook on the track the way your launching. in my 69 camaro i have 81/2 to 9 but i also have drag tires in my street tires i run 10 and a half. but my car doesent like to hook cuz i only have a 10.5 inch wide tire with a big block 572 motor. so when it hook's it hooks strong. also when your in the water box make sure you have smoke if not then it wont hook because the tires wont be sticky ill post some pic's of my car when i get home. and good luck with the racing im glad to see more kids at the track then the street

slvrhwk
05-10-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by 00400exrider
also when your in the water box make sure you have smoke if not then it wont hook because the tires wont be sticky

Not to step on any toes, but I'm baised in that aspect. If you are running a true street radial don't drive through the water box or do a burnout in one. Drive around the water box then back up somewhat close to it to do your burnout. The front tires will track water out to the start along with the rears the space between the tread will hold water that will run out while you are waiting on the lights to turn. Leaving you taking off in a slight bit of water.

tat900
05-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Not sure if you got any extra wheels laying around but guys around here buy used asphalt slicks off of oval cars and use the mfor slicks . We get them at the shop for 25 a piece and most dirt track shops can get access to them . I dont drag race but build motors for some and have set up some suspensions . Im glad you do take it to the track instead of streets ive lost 2 freinds to street racing . Is you drag car your daily driver if so thats got to be tough

initall
05-10-2007, 01:04 PM
If you are run a street tire do not do a burn out, just squel them a little bit to clean off the tread. If you are running slicks use the water box, run at 12 psi

whiteboycustom
05-10-2007, 01:29 PM
dont burn out a street tire????? ive been told u need to burn out longer to get it hotter and stickier, i could be wrong though

speedy400
05-10-2007, 06:59 PM
thanks for the comments guys! so far i'm running 14lbs, and doing/not doing/doing a little/doing a long burn out....? haha what should i do now?? thanks!-darren

btw my suspention is lowered 2 in the rear and 1 in the front i think.... and yes, its my daily driver.

whiteboycustom
05-11-2007, 07:15 AM
its lowered but do u have aftermarket suspension or is it all stock

Quad18star
05-11-2007, 07:56 AM
Buy a set of E.T Streets and you won't have to worry .

You'll never hook up with a set of every day driving tires . If you're going to do a burn out , only turn them a couple of times ... waiting for a cloud of blue smoke to cover your whole car doesn't do anything but take life off the tires. All you want to do , is just clean off the tires from any rocks or sand that might be stuck on them .

And as stated , with street tires , DO NOT drive through the water box. ... you'll just track water away with the front tires and get loose all the way down the track .

Too little air pressure in your street tires and you'll spin the rim on the tire . Try different set ups and you'll see what works best . Every track condition is different.

tat900
05-11-2007, 07:59 AM
your car is a strut camero correct you have the hardest car to get to hook up . Only way to get it to hook is a 4 link rear if possible. Its tough to make daily driver a good race car . Maybe you could get some 10.5 slick to take to the track .

00400exrider
05-11-2007, 01:06 PM
if you want to drive through the water box then do it. just be sure to do a dry hop its not that big of a deal if you do or dont. there are many different ways to do it just go step by step. and try and get some d.o.t approved slicks it will be much easier