PDA

View Full Version : 525 outlaw transmission concern

roczilla
05-09-2007, 08:56 PM
hard to get into 2nd gear aprox 30% of the time,feels like the detent moves to the top of the lever throw,when this occurs neautral goes from sometimes being difficult to find to impossible to find with engine running,took to polaris they have 2 others with same concern.quad is now subleted to ktm for inspection
has any body else had this concern and if so what was the repair

vendetta
05-11-2007, 02:48 PM
same problem here... no fix yet

bsieren
05-12-2007, 07:54 AM
I just got mine 07 Limited Edition a couple of weeks ago and so far it hasn't gave me any problems. It is very hard to find neutral going from the bottom up(1st-2nd) when the engine is running. However I have found it is much easier when you go from 2nd gear down. Once and awhile still some fits but overall much easier. Hopefully it continues to get better as it gets broke in more.

TYLER329
05-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Just talked to Polaris last thursday and they know there is a problem and they are not happy with it. I guess that all of the 525 motorcycles are the same way but KTM didn't think it was a problem. They said that they would hopefully have it fixed for 08 but not sure. The engineer also said that the sport crowd will be happy come this July. That is all that he said.

Outlaw 50
05-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Yeah, watch the way they treat the guys who have the '07 models!

After they get it fixed they will want all the owners with problems to BUY the fix.

YCSWAT
05-13-2007, 10:19 AM
I am picking up my 525 on Thursday (they special ordered the LE and I haven't laid any money out yet). Is this problem so bad that you guys would hesitate at buying the quad if you knew then what you know now?

Rob

GE4x4
05-13-2007, 11:25 AM
I wonder if any upgrades were made in the tranny for atv use over the dirt bike. It's obvious there will be a ton more stress due to weight and tire difference. Looking at parts diagram, the parts look the same other then no 6th gear.

GE4x4
05-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by YCSWAT
I am picking up my 525 on Thursday (they special ordered the LE and I haven't laid any money out yet). Is this problem so bad that you guys would hesitate at buying the quad if you knew then what you know now?

Rob

Me personally had the 525 set in my mind, but with the few issues and the 08's being out in a couple months, I am waiting now.

MentalState
05-13-2007, 04:07 PM
I love this atv but ,I want my money back!

Evasiveone
05-13-2007, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by YCSWAT

Rob

I love the ride/speed of the 525 and would buy another 525 if I had to do it again. The neutral thing has definately gotten better for me as I have gotten more hours on the bike and changed to a high quality synthetic oil instead of the Polaris PS4 Plus oil.

Once you feel the power of the 525 and its ride you will not second guess your decision.

GE4x4
05-14-2007, 03:54 PM
I was told that these tranny issues could be due to, to much oil. These 525's can't in any way be overfilled even a little as it causes to much heat. I believe that was Eichner issues on his first race day. His motor was running real hot and KTM had to see what was up. To much oil. Something to think about.

motohed
05-14-2007, 06:41 PM
i am new to the outlaw . but have ridden ktm enduro bikes for years . these transmitions all have the inherant hard to find neutral, as someone posted earlier it is much easyer to find neutral from second gear . and as they breakin they get better. if you get 50 or so hours on it with good synthetic oil they shift like a dream also ktm has a big bore kit with a stroker crank for a total of 776 ccs for the ultimate power munger . buy it and ride it !

LT250_JOE
05-25-2007, 10:53 AM
CHECK YOUR SHIFTER BOLT/ LOCKTITE IT, MINE FELL OFF THREE TIMES AND BEFORE IT DID IT WAS VERY HARD TO GET INTO SECOND. SOUND STUPID, BUT WHEN BOLT LOOSE SHIFTER STILL SEEMS TIGHT.

eerhard09
05-25-2007, 11:04 AM
I have had to tighten my shifter twice now. It is not a big deal because I have not lost the shifter/bolt yet, but it tends to work itself loose, really loose!

My neutral is hard to find but it doesn't bother me at all. What is starting to bother me is all of the engin noise it developed after about 20 hours on it! Not sure if it is normal or not since I have not seen another 525 anywhere.... Still love the quad though!

realbadlarry
05-25-2007, 11:21 PM
The motors are loud. If you get a clutch noise that changes when you pull the clutch in and out...that is normal. We have had issues with the big nut on the drive gear coming loose. Other then that they are loud, RELIABLE motors.