PDA

View Full Version : f-150 vs. f-250

cbr929rr
05-09-2007, 06:55 PM
The suspension is stronger front and rear and a solid front axle on the 250 and larger displacement engines. Do you think a solid axle is better in the long run maintenance wise vs cv axles like a front wheel drive car? The 150 cv axles should drive better on highway surfaces. Which would you look for in a 2-3 year old truck value wise?

firefighterjosh
05-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Dosen't really matter these days. I would say F150 for the ride and better mileage. Onyl way I would get a 250 is if you pull a big trailer

parkers30
05-09-2007, 08:43 PM
there will no comparison in maintenance costs, everything they use is bigger, heavier and more expensive in a 250. Unless you need a 3/4+ don't buy it. they cost more all around: more fuel, more parts, more expensive to buy.

400exrider707
05-10-2007, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Dosen't really matter these days. I would say F150 for the ride and better mileage. Onyl way I would get a 250 is if you pull a big trailer

You could easily get better mileage out of the 250 if it was diesel. F-150 (04+) would definitely ride better though, and they can still tow some pretty serious stuff. We used to pull a 24 foot enclosed trailer with tools/tv/gear/ 4 quads behind a regular cab 04 f-150 fx4. Had more than enough power, though it would have pulled a lot nicer if it was extended or supercrew. The trailer kinda pushed the truck around, but it was pretty good considering.

parkers30
05-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
You could easily get better mileage out of the 250 if it was diesel.

True, but you will not justify the purchase or maintenance costs of diesel in fuel savings alone. While the resale value is better currently is still right at the option cost of upgrading to the diesel until you get into the 200k+ miles trucks.

With that said. I drive a Ford Powerstroke, but I also tow for more than 1/2 of my miles. Runs down the highway with a loaded 24' enclosed car hauler like it isn't even there.

54warrior
05-10-2007, 11:13 AM
I feel that the solid axle is a more reliable, lower maintenance item.

The Ford F-250's 350's are the only real TRUCKs left. You can actually use them for work.

Chevy HD = Highway Driving

HONDA#3
05-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by parkers30
True, but you will not justify the purchase or maintenance costs of diesel in fuel savings alone. While the resale value is better currently is still right at the option cost of upgrading to the diesel until you get into the 200k+ miles trucks.

With that said. I drive a Ford Powerstroke, but I also tow for more than 1/2 of my miles. Runs down the highway with a loaded 24' enclosed car hauler like it isn't even there.

banks six gun dee dee dee

OH ya and junk the ford

54warrior
05-10-2007, 07:10 PM
WOW, HONDA #3 has the longest F'ing signature I've ever seen!!! I could honestly give two $hits about a Billy Goat blower or a 16' trailer

400exrider707
05-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by 54warrior
WOW, HONDA #3 has the longest F'ing signature I've ever seen!!! I could honestly give two $hits about a Billy Goat blower or a 16' trailer

hahah, I like seeing what people are running for landscaping equipment these days.

underpowered
05-10-2007, 11:00 PM
I feel that the solid axle is a more reliable, lower maintenance item.

The Ford F-250's 350's are the only real TRUCKs left. You can actually use them for work.

Chevy HD = Highway Driving

i would take a a=solid axle over IFS (inferior front suspension) anyday. lower maintenance, stronger, much better off road but do ride rougher on road.

Watch the chevy comments bud. how many problems has Ford had? oh wait, the new 6.4 TTD was recalled before harly any were sold, the 6.0 was also recalled numerous times. I would take a D-max over a powerjoke anyday. but i do have to say, the old 7.3 was one hell of a motor even if it was in a ford.

but i would take a f-250 over the 150 anyday. looks much better, stronger, and has a SFA.

Flynbryan19
05-11-2007, 06:14 AM
Ford should have never gotten rid of the 7.3. That was the best diesel motor in a p/u truck ever built in my opinion.

400exrider707
05-11-2007, 06:19 AM
Well if people knew what they were doing with the 6 liters, there wouldn't be as many problems. I've seen some roll through auction with over 400,000 miles on them and running like a champ. The 6.0 are a very strong motor for its size.

54warrior
05-11-2007, 07:19 AM

Sorry if I came off like a d1ck. I had a few brewski's in me last night when I posted that and it just irks me to no end having to scroll down over half a page because of someones signature.

Think maybe you could shorten it up some perhaps??

parkers30
05-11-2007, 07:34 AM
Sorry if I came off like a d1ck. I had a few brewski's in me last night when I posted that and it just irks me to no end having to scroll down over half a page because of someones signature.

Think maybe you could shorten it up some perhaps??

Just hide the signatures. I have and it makes reading things much easier. It is a setting in your user control panel ;)

54warrior
05-11-2007, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by parkers30
Just hide the signatures. I have and it makes reading things much easier. It is a setting in your user control panel ;)

thanks, wasn't aware of that

parkers30
05-11-2007, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Well if people knew what they were doing with the 6 liters, there wouldn't be as many problems. I've seen some roll through auction with over 400,000 miles on them and running like a champ. The 6.0 are a very strong motor for its size.

Yes they are pretty decent motor, but there were tremendous numbers of those that has crank failures very early on.

How many 7.3's can you find with over 400k? I think you would be really suprised how many people have are driving them around as dailer drivers. I have seen one with over 650k. Mine is going to roll 200k today. Some of the hotshots running Cummins are at rediculous miles.

deathman53
05-11-2007, 07:46 AM
I own a 7.3, I love it. No problem pulling stuff, however I don't even own a trailer. I bought it from a friend of mine for use almost as a daily driver and a practical bike hauler(compared to a compact pickup truck). I heard of problems with the 6.0 and 6.4 diseals, a few people told me that after ~100k miles, it feels tired. One person sold his at 60k miles, just to buy a 7.3 again, that he regretted getting rid of to begin with.

400exrider707
05-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by deathman53
I own a 7.3, I love it. No problem pulling stuff, however I don't even own a trailer. I bought it from a friend of mine for use almost as a daily driver and a practical bike hauler(compared to a compact pickup truck). I heard of problems with the 6.0 and 6.4 diseals, a few people told me that after ~100k miles, it feels tired. One person sold his at 60k miles, just to buy a 7.3 again, that he regretted getting rid of to begin with.

They had problems with the turbos locking up. People would let them sit and idle for long periods of time, and this is what causes it. You are not supposed to let a turbo car sit and idle. Every german car with a turbo, states right in the manual, do not idle, just run it, even cold.

The older 7.3s (99-01) are awesome. The newer 7.3s had weaker rods, not good if you mod a lot.

Feeling tired at 100KMI was probably from the turbo going out on them.