PDA

View Full Version : 250r

thor_racing123
05-09-2007, 06:01 PM
I've read up a little on these quads, and from what I've read, they are one heck of a quad. I'm interested in getting one this summer, but I'm worried about maintenance and such. How often do I have to rebuild the motor? Are they all that hard to keep running good? What are a few things I should look out for? How would one of these compare to a 400 ex because that is probably my second choice. Thanks

LathersR
05-09-2007, 06:20 PM
If you change the oil regularly and change the rings every 1/2 season you'll be fine.. I'd put a new crank in every once a year. New piston in every year unless your racing then every 1/2 season. There cheap and simple engines. And they do rip if they run right. They beat 400ex's usually..

thor_racing123
05-09-2007, 06:24 PM
I thought you had to mix gas? How much will all this cost me?

LathersR
05-09-2007, 06:28 PM
Ya you do.. usually 4 or 5 gallons to 16 ounces of premix oil.

TheNewn
05-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Wow, a new crank once a year? That's probably not needed in my opinion, a little over the top. It would be good though to do a complete top end rebuild once a year. But i suppose you could go a couple or even few years without doing it if things are running right.

I'd only replace the crank if you *need* to replace it...I doubt you would once a year.

Mean250r
05-09-2007, 07:25 PM
when i had my 250r

i ran the same top end/crank everything for 3 years! If you have your motor set up right, you wont need to rebuild often, atleast i didnt :devil:

LathersR
05-09-2007, 07:25 PM
You dont replace the crank .. or the crank bearings/seals.. then if that goes.. say goodbye to the rest of the motor.. I replace it all once a year to be safe.. I race but even if I were trail riding.. safer then sorry!

250Renvy
05-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Depends what you're going to do with it.

I've been hardcore 250R for years, but now I'm starting to lean more toward the 400ex or similar. I don't race and unless you mod the 250r, it's about the same as a 400ex, but handles better.

The 400ex is taller/tippier than a 250R but you don't have to mix gas and it's virtually maintanence free - change the oil.

Put some wider a-arms and lower it a bit and it'd probably be top notch for trails - plus it has reverse.

Rich250RRacer
05-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by LathersR
You dont replace the crank .. or the crank bearings/seals.. then if that goes.. say goodbye to the rest of the motor.. I replace it all once a year to be safe.. I race but even if I were trail riding.. safer then sorry!

I don't want to jinx myself here, but I've been around this alot longer than you, and even in the more extreme conditions replacing the crank every year is excessive. I understand race conditions and have put my R's through some serious punishment, but by no means replace a crank every year. That was racing eight full GNCC seasons with only two DNF's (both chain related). By telling someone that the crank needs replaced every year is just going to discourage them from buying an R, and add to the myth that two-strokes are unreliable. Remember these things are far more reliable than new style four-strokes. If you're pulling cranks out every year, send them to me. I'll pay the shipping.

clutch22
05-09-2007, 08:31 PM
People always told me in the past before i owned an R about how much maintenance goes into these... of course this was coming from people who have never owned a 2stroke.... I have yet to run into any repedative maintenance issues other than oil-changes... i've had my R for 6 months, havent fouled a plug, top end is still holding same compression...

LathersR
05-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
I don't want to jinx myself here, but I've been around this alot longer than you, and even in the more extreme conditions replacing the crank every year is excessive. I understand race conditions and have put my R's through some serious punishment, but by no means replace a crank every year. That was racing eight full GNCC seasons with only two DNF's (both chain related). By telling someone that the crank needs replaced every year is just going to discourage them from buying an R, and add to the myth that two-strokes are unreliable. Remember these things are far more reliable than new style four-strokes. If you're pulling cranks out every year, send them to me. I'll pay the shipping.

I totally hear you.. I have ran a TC Racing Pro-X 330 for 1 1/2 years motocross racing b class with no problem's.. Then I rebuilt it and had a new crank put in and it lasted 6 months.. Ive had new cranks last 2 years and some other new cranks last 2 months!.. It's just what you get and how you maintain/ride it. If you blow a crank bearing consider the rest of your motor being gone thru too.. Your better off being safer than sorry.. A little peice of aluminum can go a long ways!

garrettagr
05-09-2007, 09:25 PM
yeah, i have never heard of replacing the crank that often. I am still running the original but again i only ride about 15 hours a year