PDA

View Full Version : looking for dunes

zinx_01
10-14-2002, 07:29 PM
hey i live in southern indiana and i am wanting to go to michican or somewhere close to carve some dunes. what is the best spot

WyoDuner
10-15-2002, 11:56 AM
Well, Silver Lake Michigan is the closest. I've never been there but I hear it gets a little crowded and it's not a real big area.

Little Sahara, OK is probably the next closest followed by Kermit Dunes in TX, Louisiana dunes in LA, Walden dunes in CO, Rock Springs Dunes in WY, St. Anthony dunes in ID, Little Saharain UT, Coral Pink in UT, Sand Mountain, NV, Glamis/buttercup, Pismo and Dumont in CA and finally the dunes on the Oregon coast. There's a few others but you get the idea.

In short you are a LONG way from any good dunes. The dunes get better as you head west.

quadbiker
10-15-2002, 06:16 PM
I just rode 3 days at St. Anthony and it is better than Glamis, Dumont, and LS, Utah combined. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. You cannot beat the Saint for area and dune size.

WyoDuner
10-18-2002, 10:43 PM
I'm with you there quadbiker. St. A is my favorite place so far... Still got a lot to see yet though.

josh
10-19-2002, 12:36 PM
somewere better than glammis and buttercup, i thought that stuff out here in cali and arizona was supposted to be the best place in the us for dunes, unless you don't like a lot of jumps with A LOT OF RIDING AREA

quadbiker
10-19-2002, 02:57 PM
Don't get me wrong, Glamis and Buttercup are big and a lot of fun, but St. Anthony.......omg...........such way bigger dunes. If you think Dumont has big dunes, well yeah, it does. St. Anthony is way, way bigger, it has dunes like Dumont's that go for (I'm guessing) 6-7 miles maybe more, maybe a little less. I read Dumont is only about 8,500 acres.

Anyhow, my point is this. Go to St. Anthony. If you have to take a week off and drive 15 hours each way, do it. Because The Saint makes LS Utah look like a catbox, and Glamis look as flat as a beach. St. Anthony's has a big dune area that is truly challanging, even for expert dune riders. It's dam-near scary. And one more plus........you don't have to run a flag on your bike....at least for right now.