PDA

View Full Version : opinions

400EXtreme
05-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Do you think over 13 hours of labor to rebuild a top end, clean carb, true front tire, replace clutch cover is a little to much? And there estimating 600$ worth of parts.

whiteboycustom
05-09-2007, 12:54 PM
whats the total price????? average labor per hour at dealerships is around 60 bucks or so and thats 780 just in labor, but again 13 hours i call bs, i wouldnt pay for 13 hours unless they can show u what took so long

54warrior
05-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by 400EXtreme
Do you think over 13 hours of labor to rebuild a top end, clean carb, true front tire, replace clutch cover is a little to much? And there estimating 600$ worth of parts.

Did you take them just the motor to disassemble or did they have to remove the tank, plastics, etc...???

Disassemble Top End: 1.5 hr
Assemble Top End: 1.5 hr
Clean Carb: .5 hr
Adjust front toe in/out: .5 hr
Replace Clutch Cover: 10 minutes

Total: +/- 4.5 Hours

Yes, 13 hours is waay to much. Even if I'm wrong about my guesstimate, all of that could be done, easily, in one 8 hour day.

$60*4.5= $270

What all did you need in parts?

Piston, Rings, Circlips: $150
Cam: $200
Valves: $200
Gasket Kit: $50
Clutch Cover: $75-100???

Total: $700, less cam $500+/-

400EXtreme
05-09-2007, 01:06 PM
its a 2 stroke so u can buy the piston rings the gaskets whole deal for around 110. So i dont get where there gettin 600 from.

400EXtreme
05-09-2007, 02:03 PM
alrite well i just got off the phone now so heres wut needs to be done. Front wheel bearings need to be replaced, fork seals, new top end, decarbonize the exhaust valves, fix a crack in the oil drain bolt, and replace the clutch cover . And were lookin at 2000 just to get this fixed seem a little to much? I could buy another 125 with this money.

derekhonda
05-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Get a second opinion somewhere else. Depending on what type of forks it has that alone could be 3 or 4 hours.

whiteboycustom
05-09-2007, 02:27 PM
wow way way way way to much, best thing u can do is pick your bike up from them, and leave with a big fuq u, for 335 bucks i can get a total motor rebuild kit for my cr250 thats all gaskets,pistons, and crank, if that tells u anything, i have a website at the house of a shop that repairs forks for roughly 200 bucks give or take i will check it when i get to the house, as far as the drain bolt and the clutch cover buy the parts and change it yourself, get u a nice aftermarket clutch cover yea ur gonna pay a nice price but they look sweet

atvrider23054
05-09-2007, 02:34 PM
If they didnt start working on your bike already then take it away from them. If they did, I have no idea what to do??

whiteboycustom
05-09-2007, 03:30 PM
if its a dealership most likly u have to sign a paper saying its ok to work on the bike

atvrider23054
05-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by whiteboycustom
if its a dealership most likly u have to sign a paper saying its ok to work on the bike

Yea, but once you sign that once, They can use it everytime and we dont know if he's brought it there before or not.

whiteboycustom
05-09-2007, 04:35 PM
for each time u have a bike or quad worked on u have to sign a new release to work on that bike or quad, u can bring it in and have them look at it and get u a estimate but u dont have to commit to have them fix it if u dont like the quote

atvrider23054
05-09-2007, 04:53 PM
It depends on the shop. Cause some around here do that and others dont. Some call you and tell you whats worng and needs to be fixed and others just do it then call you and tell you its ready.

Nac's22
05-09-2007, 05:18 PM
alrite well i just got off the phone now so heres wut needs to be done. Front wheel bearings need to be replaced, fork seals, new top end, decarbonize the exhaust valves, fix a crack in the oil drain bolt, and replace the clutch cover . And were lookin at 2000 just to get this fixed seem a little to much? I could buy another 125 with this money.

i seem to be missing something here but the last time i checked 2 strokes didnt have valves :confused:

atvrider23054
05-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by TRR440EX
i seem to be missing something here but the last time i checked 2 strokes didnt have valves :confused:

Hahah yea, they dont so idk what there charging you for. You mihgt have gotten confused or something when they were talking to you.

Nac's22
05-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by atvrider23054
Hahah yea, they dont so idk what there charging you for. You mihgt have gotten confused or something when they were talking to you.

haha i was gonna say gee i hope my R is ok i didnt put any valves in it (only joking i know they dont have valves)

400EXtreme
05-09-2007, 06:23 PM
thats what they told me. That was the reason why my bike had no powerband the guy said.

atvrider23054
05-09-2007, 06:36 PM
No your bike probably doesnt have what they call "powerband" because your topend needed to be rebuilt. What did you take it there for in the first place?

Have they done any work on it yet?

Just get the bike out of there and sell it to me for CHEAP :devil: :D

mx428
05-09-2007, 06:58 PM
thats what they told me. That was the reason why my bike had no powerband the guy said. I hope you're joking. If not you're getting butt****ed with a broom stick.

atvrider23054
05-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by mx428
I hope you're joking. If not you're getting butt****ed with a broom stick.

HAHAHAHA

400EXtreme
05-10-2007, 02:52 PM
i brought it there to see why there was no powerband in the first place. And there was a crack where u screw the oil drain bolt into so the oil was drippin out. They havnt done any work yet. So im just gunna order the parts my self and do it myself and have them fix the oil problem. So hopefully the top end was why i didnt have powerband.

250ex13
05-10-2007, 03:09 PM
that's what you get for bringing it to r.e.r
aka rips every rider

mx428
05-10-2007, 03:11 PM
i brought it there to see why there was no powerband in the first place. And there was a crack where u screw the oil drain bolt into so the oil was drippin out. They havnt done any work yet. So im just gunna order the parts my self and do it myself and have them fix the oil problem. So hopefully the top end was why i didnt have powerband. A powerband isn't a noun, it's a way to describe the displacement of power throughout the RPM range of the motor.

atvrider23054
05-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by mx428
A powerband isn't a noun, it's a way to describe the displacement of power throughout the RPM range of the motor.

uuuhhhh NO, your wrong. THis is a powerband

Toadz400
05-10-2007, 04:30 PM
They're probably talking about the powervalve which could technically be called a 2-stroke's exhaust valve. The dealership probably just refers to it as the exhaust valve.

Anyway, that is way too much for them to work on your bike. A buddy of mine tore down his Blaster engine and rebuilt it in 30 minutes. That's counting tear down, rebuild, put it back together, and had it running.

I would definately take it to someone else or find someone you know that could do it. Or better yet, get yourself a manual and do it yourself! Two strokes are very easy to work on and are definately easier to rebuild than a 4-stroke.

Nac's22
05-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
They're probably talking about the powervalve which could technically be called a 2-stroke's exhaust valve. The dealership probably just refers to it as the exhaust valve.

Anyway, that is way too much for them to work on your bike. A buddy of mine tore down his Blaster engine and rebuilt it in 30 minutes. That's counting tear down, rebuild, put it back together, and had it running.

I would definately take it to someone else or find someone you know that could do it. Or better yet, get yourself a manual and do it yourself! Two strokes are very easy to work on and are definately easier to rebuild than a 4-stroke.

wow i completley forgot about powervalves. does ktm have a powervalve in their 125?

400EXtreme
05-10-2007, 09:07 PM
yes they do have a powervalve. And thats what i thought it was before i even took it there. A stuck powervalve that needs to be cleaned.

Toadz400
05-10-2007, 09:26 PM
yes they do have a powervalve. And thats what i thought it was before i even took it there. A stuck powervalve that needs to be cleaned.

How old is your bike? Any estimate of how many hours on your bike? Even with an older bike that has a lot of hours on it as long as it was taken care of it can still have plenty of life left in the top end. I would take the bike back and try cleaning the powervalve yourself (pretty simple) and see if that fixes the problem. A dirty powervalve will definately rob the engine of power and make it feel like it needs a rebuild. Pick up a manual and try it out.

400EXtreme
05-11-2007, 12:47 PM
How old is your bike? Any estimate of how many hours on your bike? Even with an older bike that has a lot of hours on it as long as it was taken care of it can still have plenty of life left in the top end. I would take the bike back and try cleaning the powervalve yourself (pretty simple) and see if that fixes the problem. A dirty powervalve will definately rob the engine of power and make it feel like it needs a rebuild. Pick up a manual and try it out. my rings are shot anyway so i might as well kill 2 birds with one stone. And i have gotten alot of hours out of this top end. Way over 20.

mx428
05-11-2007, 04:29 PM
How old is your bike? Any estimate of how many hours on your bike? Even with an older bike that has a lot of hours on it as long as it was taken care of it can still have plenty of life left in the top end. I would take the bike back and try cleaning the powervalve yourself (pretty simple) and see if that fixes the problem. A dirty powervalve will definately rob the engine of power and make it feel like it needs a rebuild. Pick up a manual and try it out. I usually rebuilt my top ends every 6 or 7 hours, so if he's got 20 on it i'd say it's deffinatley time.

05-11-2007, 04:37 PM
man you guys think 20 hours on a 2 stroke top end is alot?? :rolleyes: I used to put so many hours on my old banshee. I would ride atleast 2-3 hours a day for weeks and weeks. never rebuilt the top end once. I t was a 2001, sold in 2004 i think. My brother has a 2000 Cr 125 and that thing had the top end replaced once, because he put the wrong gas in :p Again that thing has ungodly amount of hours on it