PDA

View Full Version : Derisi shock ride height?

rockabilly13
05-09-2007, 06:30 AM
I've had my rebuilds since Jan. and I'm still can't get them setup right. I'm running out of threads on the preload and i'm still bottoming out. I have the MX setup. So those of you with this same setup what ride height are you at? How many turns down on the preload are you at?

400exrider707
05-09-2007, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by rockabilly13
I've had my rebuilds since Jan. and I'm still can't get them setup right. I'm running out of threads on the preload and i'm still bottoming out. I have the MX setup. So those of you with this same setup what ride height are you at? How many turns down on the preload are you at?

What do you mean they are bottoming? The shocks are bottoming, or your frame is bottoming? Your shocks SHOULD bottom out once in a while, if they are not, then they are valved/sprung too stiff, and you are not using the full length of your shock travel.

Flynbryan19
05-09-2007, 06:57 AM
Have you already tried your compression adjustment? If your having to rely on your preload to fight bottoming, then your spring rates are wrong or your valved too soft.

As the other fella said, you are supposed to bottom out a time or two per lap. But, your not supposed to bottom harshly.

MAD450r
05-09-2007, 09:45 AM
Thats my first question. From there i'd guess your rebound is too slow. I was bottoming hard at the local track when I attack the whoops too hard till I spead my rebound up alot [the screw on the bottom of your shock if you didn't know]. Now if your bottoming alot then I'd guess its your compression as the others mentioned. [the screw on top of your shocks]

Im having some trouble myself getting it right. I did tell santo I was a beginner in mx and I liked to woods ride as well so mine maybe setup too soft now that I am riding on the mx track more aggressively.

TRX450RACER174
05-09-2007, 04:24 PM
So your chasing bottoming out with adjusting you race sag? First i would reset up your sag, You should be a half an inch higher in front than the rear standing on the pegs with your gear on. From there i would start adjusting your compression and rebound, do these one at a time and see how it feels, remember small adjustments it helps if you write them on a piece of paper good luck.

rockabilly13
05-09-2007, 05:04 PM
I'm bottoming the frame out most fo the time. I'm gonna wear a hole in my skid plate. What measurments do yall have on your ride height from the ground? I've tried the compression adjustments it's almost full on hard.

TRX450RACER174
05-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Well i have GT Thunders shocks and i set my front a half an inch higher than the rear, basically you measure from the foot peg to the ground standing on the bike the second measurement is on the frame just where it starts to bend in front by the a arm mount, but if you are bottoming out all the time either you need a different spring rate of different valving, also where are you bottomg out on jumps or whoops.

rockabilly13
05-09-2007, 07:27 PM
I'm botttoming out on both. I know about the front half an inch higher than the back, but what is the back measurment? Just trying to get a good starting point.

TRX450RACER174
05-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Have you messed with your rear shock? I was told do not touch the ride height on mine by Gt only adjust the compression. You might want to get on the phone with them and talk to them about the set up. I have had mine on for 3 races and i am still tuning them a little, the rear is perfect just as they sent it to me i have made no adjustments at all, the front i am still tweaking on the compression settings but feels real good right now. I would call them and explain to them the situation i am sure they will work with you to make everything right. Good Luck Erik
P.S. you might want to wander over to GT Thunders web site and do a little reading they have some good tech on there.

Architects
05-09-2007, 11:25 PM
Im right a 7 inches in the rear and 7 3/8 up front.

rockabilly13
05-10-2007, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by Architects
Im right a 7 inches in the rear and 7 3/8 up front.

That's with 18 inch rear tires and 20 inchers up front right?

Chino886
05-10-2007, 06:34 AM
I would call whoever did your shocks, you don't want to bottom your frame out.

Are you running the right size tires that the shocks were set up for?

rockabilly13
05-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Yeah I told Santo My tire size, weight, +2 arms and +1.25 swinger. I think I'll call tommorrow.

Architects
05-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by rockabilly13
That's with 18 inch rear tires and 20 inchers up front right?

yep

rockabilly13
05-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Did you have to adjust your rear shock preload from what Derisi set it at to get that height?

Architects
05-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Yes I adjusted the front and rear to set it up like this. I then dialed in my Compression and rebound at the track. I was bottoming my frame out bad at first. With some adjustments I got it dialed in.