PDA

View Full Version : adjust valves? warm or cold?

maddmatt02
05-08-2007, 11:08 PM
I was just wondering if I am supposed to adjust them when the engine is warm or cold, Ive always done it on a cold engine in my cars but theyve never had as tight of valve lash as this quad, so i was wondering if I set the lash when its cold when it warms up and everything expands will the clearance become too tight?

REDRIDDER
05-09-2007, 09:51 AM
adjust them cold .004 for the itake and .005 for the exhaust

romeo_1885
05-09-2007, 01:13 PM
I always adjust mine cold and i've never had any problems

maddmatt02
05-09-2007, 09:09 PM
I adjsuted them last night to stock, I checked em and they were about .008-.009 intake and .010 exhaust. tightened em up to .004/,005, cranked it ovcer a few times and rechecked to be certain, and closed it back up. it was really noisy before, its somewhat quieter now but still very noticable valvetrain noise. I figured the valves open further and stay open longer so as the valves close they have a long distance and a short tiome span to do so and they will inevitably be louder, but how noisy should it be?

trx450jason
05-10-2007, 09:17 PM
The hotcams stage 2 creates a lot of vavle train noise from my experience. A lot louder than stock for sure. It scared me too haha.

honda6490
05-20-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by trx450jason
The hotcams stage 2 creates a lot of vavle train noise from my experience. A lot louder than stock for sure. It scared me too haha.

Well that makes me feel a little better haha, I have the stage 2 cam as well and I never trust my ex cause the valvetrain noise and stuff. Why would a stage 2 cause it to be noisy anyway??

Johnny B
06-10-2007, 02:44 PM
the cam causes more noise because it is opening the valves more and longer than a stock cam. and with more duration means more noise.

maddmatt02
06-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Id have to say it has more to do with how steep the ramp is and how fast it sets the valve back down.

JasonP
07-01-2007, 09:19 AM
both wrong.. because they use more clearance then the stock cam or you adjusted the valves on the wrong stroke. Hotcams suck.

maddmatt02
07-01-2007, 11:03 PM
when you say use more clearance do you mean their specs reccomend more clearance and thats why they are noisy? because even when adjusted to factory clearance they are loud.

REDRIDDER
07-03-2007, 08:09 AM
i don't understand all the noise everyone heres i mean mine is pretty quiet compared to all the stories i hear here.I have a hot Cams stage 1 read the Sig for the rest of my goodies,but anyways when i put my cam in it did make a little noise but not any thing crazy if its really bad check all your components in the head,check rocker arms,worn valve springs ect... but don't be confused by noise coming from a worn cam chain tensioner letting pressure off the guides or a worn cam chain slapping around.from my experience when my spring in the cam chain tensioner broke it sounded like a really bad ticking just like the valve train noise and i didn't lose power or anything just one day heard a really bad ticking took her apart about a week later and found that the spring had broken causing the chain to slap.

400exrider707
07-04-2007, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by maddmatt02
when you say use more clearance do you mean their specs reccomend more clearance and thats why they are noisy? because even when adjusted to factory clearance they are loud.

Exactly, I even went as far as adjusting them to .003 intake and .004 exhaust on my stage 1 hotcam and the loud ticking never went away, and became worse when warm.

Johnny B - Opening longer or farther should have nothing to do with a "ticking" noise.

Originally posted by maddmatt02

Id have to say it has more to do with how steep the ramp is and how fast it sets the valve back down.

maddmatt02
07-04-2007, 12:44 PM
not sure why you quoted me, I was responding to the guy above me, telling him that clearance is not the reason.