PDA

View Full Version : Engine Flush

Moto92
10-25-2001, 10:39 PM
Im going to change my oil this weekend and switch over to synthetic. I was wondering is there an engine flush for quads similar to what is used in cars. I want to make sure I get out all the old oil.

10-26-2001, 09:09 AM
Yes there is. I have a 300ex but it should be the same way on a 400ex. There should be a bolt under the quad by the skidplate right below the engine. Take that bolt off and let all the oil drip out. You probably want to put a pan where the oil is dripping. Let it drip for a little bit until it isnt dripping anymore. And put the bolt back on. I think you should put the oil filter in before you put the oil in, but that is just how I do it. (MAKE SURE THE OIL FILTER IS IN THE RIGHT WAY-VERY CRITICAL!!!!!!!). And pour the new oil in where the dipstick is. I know I answered more than you asked but what the heck. Hope this helped.

PS. Before you let the oil drip out. It helps to let the quad run for a few minutes so the oil is a little hotter and the oil drips out more quickly.

Moto92
10-26-2001, 11:29 PM
Thanks redrider but I know how to change my oil, LOL
My question is if there is an engine additive you use when changing oil to flush out all the gunk and build up. Ive used it in my truck before but didnt know if there was anything available for quads.

Leo
10-27-2001, 06:22 AM
Be very afraid of engine oil 'additives' and 'flushes'...

snake oil

When we have a low mileage car / truck (under 60k) that's decided to grenade it's motor in the shop, the conversation almost always starts something like "I change my oil every 4k, and I even just started using [insert oil additive name here]"

While reading the bottle, if it sounds to good to be true, it is :)

my .02

Leo

sly400ex
10-27-2001, 09:38 AM
Drain your old oil, then flush it with your new synthetic, then top it off with the fresh synthetic. You shouldn't have much off that old oil reisdue after that.

JabberJaw
10-27-2001, 09:41 AM
I just let mine sit overnight. I just pull the plugs out before going in for the evening, then finish the rest the next day.

oynot400
11-03-2001, 06:52 PM
I have heard of guys using diesel fuel to flush there engine if they get water in it. They usually flush it twice with diesel then (only run the engine for about a minute with the diesel), twice with automotive oil. Then put the synthetic in. I would not recomend this for every oil change, just if you got water in the oil.

11-04-2001, 11:18 AM
I think if you drain all the oil including the crankcase oil bolt, maybe run the new oil through for a little while, drain it too, then fill it back up again you'll be fine. I went to synthetic and just drained my oil and refilled with the new. Ive had no problems so far.