PDA

View Full Version : Have a question.

yellow400ex05
05-08-2007, 07:07 PM
My 400 after a day of riding when i go to start it up the nxt day i put it on pre choke and if i let it idle and then blip the throttle white smoke will come out and it will also come out after it revs back down to idle.last spring when it was new it had a routine check up after break in for valve checking, oil change, tire pressure etc. I put and HMF pipe and twin air airfilter with vented airbox lid and Hotcam stage 1 on it for Christmas. I just changed my oil again like a few days ago, and i checked the level and it was half way so just to be sure i added a dab more. after like 2 days i went to check it after i saw it smoking at start up i warmed it up for like 3 minutes rode it down the trail and back checked the oil and it was below half, but i don't think it was full at operation temp. I added a little oil and now its just below the word upper on the dipstick. I have no loss of power in fact I have plenty of grunt and power:devil: . the only ticking is the cam so what could be wrong here?

yellow400ex05
05-08-2007, 08:00 PM
bump

Z400champion
05-09-2007, 06:37 AM
It sounds like you piston rings are going out. this would explain the smoke. I have had mine go out before and my quad would eat up my oil when they were bad too. but as soon as i got my new oes the smoke stopped and i go through oil about like when i bought it new

yellow400ex05
05-09-2007, 06:02 PM
I'm not really burning oil i think it was because it wasn't fully warmed up enough because after i added the oil and checked it again it was almost too high. But anyway what would be the reasons for the piston rings to go out?

kilgoja
05-09-2007, 06:56 PM
i don't think ur piston rings are worn out that quickly since u said ur atv was new last year....you probably have too much oil in it....that will make it smoke.....let it sit for like an hour or so to be sure then check the oil level on a level surface

yellow400ex05
05-09-2007, 07:18 PM
i checked it, no smoke at start up did'nt need to use choke, i checked oil when it was cold its right in the middle.