PDA

View Full Version : all you kickstarters?

coolguy8769
05-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Well as many of you know my yfz has been a demon from the start with electrical problems. I am seriously consdering putting a kickstart on it. IS it a big adjustment? and how hard is it really to kick it over?

to you yfz guys with it how do you like the kicker on yours

416exfreak
05-08-2007, 05:41 PM
I kicked over a 450r one time....it was hot to, and it really suprised me how easy it was to kick over, I figured it was going to be hard to do...but it kicked easy.

I dont think it would be that big of a deal unless you have raised the compression in your YFZ:)

250xridamatt
05-08-2007, 05:49 PM
I kicked over my 450r yesterday sitting down. It fires up on the second kick with the choke on, every time when it is cold.

Sjorge450R
05-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by 250xridamatt
I kicked over my 450r yesterday sitting down. It fires up on the second kick with the choke on, every time when it is cold.

did the same thing today. I would have to say, they are ***** when they are brand new tho.

N300exJ
05-08-2007, 06:08 PM
The yfz450 has an electrical charging problem on the 03 to 05 model years. There is a retro fix to the problem and i also believe ricky stator makes a kit to fix the yfz's charging problem. Or you can just ride with your headlights on to make sure the system fully charges the battery while riding.

Nac's22
05-08-2007, 06:08 PM
my friend has a worked race motor in his yfz. its all bored out and high compression and all that good stuff and it looks like he doesnt even try. it kicks over so nice and easy

Scottt89
05-08-2007, 06:51 PM
I've only tried it once or twice on a 450r, I wasn't a fan. I have a 250R and it bothers me sometimes. Not so much the ease, but not scratching the pipe with my boots, but that is forward. My Banshee was awesome, the kickstart is so small you can get good leverage on it. But I've never done one on a YFZ. Do they go backwards or Forwards?

05-08-2007, 06:59 PM
my banshee and 250r are really easy to kick over. Even my CR 250 fires right up. I prefer not to have elctric start. The less wires, the better

MX MaNiAc 06
05-08-2007, 07:40 PM
I got my 06 450r because i wanted the electric start. I am getting rid of it because i hate the electric start.. haha

Buy a kicker!!!

JRP
05-08-2007, 07:57 PM
easy answer jeff....

screw anything electric, get a kicker:p
I can kick mine over when im sitting down, so you will have no problem dude. Whenever im at the next d7 race, ill let you kick mine over, its easy as shiz

05-08-2007, 08:12 PM
same with me. I have the 06, but the eletric is a *****. So i'm probs getting a kicker this winter.

mephyst
05-08-2007, 08:57 PM
I never had problems with my 04 kicker... even when it was new. It always started easily.....

A A R O N
05-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Well so far the replies have been for mostly 450r's so I'll give some input.

I have an 04 yfz with the gyt-r kickstart kit and I love it. I had an 04 previously with electric start and had very few problems with it but the battery going dead was very common.

Although i'm going back to stock compression, right now I have a full Baldwin motor in my yfz and it's VERY easy to kick over. It starts right away, every time. Once the motor is hot you will probably have to find neutral to start it but there's and easy solution to that.....don't stall it out:p

The only problem I have is clearance when kicking it over. I have to watch myself so that I don't kick the pipe, but it's not too bad and even if I did hit it my boot would probably just glance off of it wihout doing any damage.

I really like the simplicity of the system now. There's a lot less junk hanging around everywere as compared to te e-start.

Good luck if you decide to do it....I think you'll like it a lot better than the e-start.

the 97
05-09-2007, 04:04 PM
if you can kick it thats one less thing you have to worry about. talkes afew more kicks sometimes when they are hot but not to bad. hot start dose make a diff